Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Power Back Door (Tailgate) not working on 2010 (Series 3) RX450h

10 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Was it from a private seller or a motor trader? If a trader then you may have legal recourse because I believe traders must offer a warranty, although I'm not sure if it would cover the PBD or not.

If a Trader, then he need not offer any warranty Herbie old pal ,BUT he (the Trader) is legally bound to be responsible  for fixing at his cost any significant problem which arises within 6  months from the date of purchase. Tell him to seek advice from Solicitor, or Trading Standards, or Internet.👍👍🤣🤣

• Like 1

It was from a trader who insisted on providing a warranty as he said he was liable for any repairs... I'm not sure how much faith I should have in these after market warranties as everything seems to be fair wear and tear from sendai I've heard. I'll vintage them on Monday and see how it goes but I'm interested to have an alternative option too

Once again, all thoughts greatly appreciated 

18 minutes ago, Shornw said:

It was from a trader who insisted on providing a warranty as he said he was liable for any repairs... I'm not sure how much faith I should have in these after market warranties as everything seems to be fair wear and tear from sendai I've heard. I'll vintage them on Monday and see how it goes but I'm interested to have an alternative option too

After Market Warranties are often not worth the paper they are written on.

There is one however which is issued by the Gov`t in the form of a Statutory Warranty and as such is backed by Law.

For more, consult a Solicitor, Or the Trading Standards Body, or the Internet and be perpared to pursue the crook via the Small Claims Track of the County Court. Not expensive ,but worthwhile.

19 minutes ago, Shornw said:

He` s liable by LAW !

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

After Market Warranties are often not worth the paper they are written on.

There is one however which is issued by the Gov`t in the form of a Statutory Warranty and as such is backed by Law.

For more, consult a Solicitor, Or the Trading Standards Body, or the Internet and be perpared to pursue the crook via the Small Claims Track of the County Court. Not expensive ,but worthwhile.

Being a cynic in inclined to doubt the validity of after market warranties, that said, I'm also aware that people only usually comment or review when things are rubbish and not when they're good. The warranty I have is with WMS group who get expectedly poor reviews so I'll see how I get on on Monday and report back

Rob, In answer to your previous questions - I did in fact take my old unit to an electronics firm to have it checked out, the guys said it would cost about £110 per hour,  two hours work and if the chips were programmed they would not be able to rep-program them. hence I went down the route of a second unit cheapest I could find. As for protection from Wet - my new electrical unit is wrapped in protective cling film and tape now and I will look at adding further water protection form above and round the new unit just to make sure 🙂 good luck Monday  

2 hours ago, RX450HPrem said:

Rob, In answer to your previous questions - I did in fact take my old unit to an electronics firm to have it checked out, the guys said it would cost about £110 per hour,  two hours work and if the chips were programmed they would not be able to rep-program them. hence I went down the route of a second unit cheapest I could find. As for protection from Wet - my new electrical unit is wrapped in protective cling film and tape now and I will look at adding further water protection form above and round the new unit just to make sure 🙂 good luck Monday  

Thanks for all your help and into.... Sounds like you've checked out all the options (as I would have) before going the new parts route. 

So this morning I thought I'll check the parking sensors again and sure enough the front offside was constantly whinging... Took the car to get fuel and while I was stopped, cleaned all the sensors. Re enabled the sensors and.... blissful silence 🙂... Feeling on a bit of a roll, I pressed the PBD.... and it opened immediately 🙄. Part of me wished it hadn't because I can't raise a claim against the warranty company if the bloody thing is working fine 🤷

I keep looking with a little longing at my GS450h sitting on my drive... it never caused me a single issue after the Battery ran low (only happened once) and never once missed a beat - have l made a colossal blunder?? 🤔😉

LOL Don't think you have ! had mine over 6 years and this is the only thing that's gone wrong.

So its either you have been out and the Battery has charged up again ? if it wasn't at first. but suspect of that.

Or its aMoisture issue (which I feel mine was).  And  your trip out has dried up the moisture.

Its quite an easy job to drop the rear headlining to have a look at the Motor ECU and check for any damp, if your so inclined.  see pics of mine    

1 hour ago, RX450HPrem said:

LOL Don't think you have ! had mine over 6 years and this is the only thing that's gone wrong.

So its either you have been out and the battery has charged up again ? if it wasn't at first. but suspect of that.

Or its aMoisture issue (which I feel mine was).  And  your trip out has dried up the moisture.

Its quite an easy job to drop the rear headlining to have a look at the Motor ECU and check for any damp, if your so inclined.  see pics of mine    

I put a brand new Battery on it on Friday afternoon so I don't think it was that, although I was told that it didn't need an AGM Battery but reading this thread it appears it may be that it does 🤔

Attached is a picture of the original Battery - does this look like an original? I read on the thread that Panasonic was the right one. Although it doesn't say AGM on it anywhere

20230111_135139.jpg

2 hours ago, Shornw said:

I was told that it didn't need an AGM battery but reading this thread it appears it may be that it does

The only reason for an AGM Battery is that the acid is absorbed in the glass mat rather than being in free liquid form. Because the Battery is in the boot of the RX, if the car ever rolls over in an accident there's a slight chance that free liquid acid could drip/run into the cabin and be a risk to anyone in there, hence the preference for AGM.

It makes no difference whatsoever from an electrical point of view.

26 minutes ago, Herbie said:

The only reason for an AGM battery is that the acid is absorbed in the glass mat rather than being in free liquid form. Because the battery is in the boot of the RX, if the car ever rolls over in an accident there's a slight chance that free liquid acid could drip/run into the cabin and be a risk to anyone in there, hence the preference for AGM.

It makes no difference whatsoever from an electrical point of view.

I thought it would be worth looking into AGM benefits and it seems there may be a connection - high currents on demand and faster charging seem to make for technical advantages appropriate for Hybrid charging, longevity and deep discharge capability are nice to have's.. What do others think? 

AGM batteries have a very low internal resistance, are able to deliver high currents on demand and offer relatively long service life, even when deep-cycled. AGM is maintenance free, provides good electrical reliability and is lighter than the flooded lead-acid type. It stands up well to low temperatures and has a low self-discharge. The leading advantages are a charge that is up to five times faster than the flooded version, and the ability to deep cycle. AGM offers a depth-of-discharge of 80 percent; the flooded, on the other hand, is specified at 50 percent DoD to attain the same cycle life

On 2/11/2021 at 11:43 AM, fezman said:

could you send that info my way Herbie? Same issue as described above, RX450h 2013

thanks

Ian

Hi Herbie. I have the same issue as described above, power back door not working, rear compartment lights not working either, RX450h 2010. Could you send the info to me please ?

Thanks

Martin

30 minutes ago, MARTINMKHS said:

Hi Herbie. I have the same issue as described above, power back door not working, rear compartment lights not working either, RX450h 2010. Could you send the info to me please ?

Thanks

Martin

PM sent Martin.

I got rid of my 2006 RX350 just over a year ago after having it for 10 years plus, with no problems whatsoever short of renewing brakes, tyres etc.

I have now owned a 2010 RX for a year and until about 2 months ago when the Battery went flat, I'd had no problems at all. I charged the Battery a couple of times but it still went flat after a week or so of not using the car. So, I replaced the 12v Battery and since then, my tailgate has become possessed. It opens with the normal beep, but as soon as it gets close to the top, it starts juddering with a constant beep and starts shutting by itself. This doesn't happen every time but probably 30% of the time. I now tend to hold onto the tailgate when it gets close to fully opening and push it up the last inch or so manually. This seems to keep it at the top and then it will close normally when I press the tailgate button, in the car or on the remote. 

I'm assuming and hoping, that it's just the struts and am pondering whether to buy a pair from amazon as Lexus want £115.00 per strut.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tailgate-Supports-Replacement-2010-2015-Liftgate/dp/B08YY5V5RX/ref=sr_1_2?crid=FK7A6DJICBLT&keywords=Lexus+RX450h+tailgate+struts&qid=1674509819&sprefix=lexus+rx450h+tailgate+struts%2Caps%2C113&sr=8-2

Any advice on whether my assumption is correct and if so, would the amazon struts be ok for my car or should I bite the bullet and order from Lexus? 

Thanks.

John , Your synopsis sounds about right, other option is to remove one at a time see if it manages to close normally - I think yours could be a strut issue rather than a motor issue.

The amazon struts are an interesting replacement I'll wait to se if others comment on suitability but they seem to fit

Paul 

2 minutes ago, RX450HPrem said:

other option is to remove one at a time see if it manages to close normally

No offence meant but that's bad advice. The tailgates are very heavy and if you take one strut away you risk bending something out of true.

• Like 1

None Taken Herbie, Are you saying the motor won't lift the Tail gate if there are not struts ?

I was thinking it would take out a potential part of the problem with a little help from your hand and see if its a strut issue ?

Paul

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links