Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS400 Used Guide, Buying Cars magazine Nov 1991

I thought this might make for interesting reading on here. Buying Cars was a relatively short-lived publication from Haymarket, who also did Autocar and What Car?

Scans_0016.thumb.jpg.ebbaa5b131ea14f066db445a99370917.jpg

Scans_0017.thumb.jpg.c072086c97d856308096a0fa0b540aec.jpg

Scans_0018.thumb.jpg.7bca98704b441b6936bafa6580239945.jpg

Interesting to read these 'everyday' views of it when starting to become a used car, and also to see inside the Mann Egerton workshop (especially with the old Colt Sapporo in there).

I really liked my Mk3 LS, but there is something extra special about the look of the Mk1.

• Like 1

the only problem with the MK1 to my mind was that it was the " trial car " and the Mk2 followed with 16" wheels and tyres, brakes to match and then the Mk3 just overhauled it all quite quickly again

BUT great to have that original write-up for sure, well done finding it

Malc

1 hour ago, rich1068 said:

Excellent stuff Nigel. Thank you!

Would you mind me putting these up on Twitter? Quite the LS following on there.

With due credit no problem at all. It's not a common magazine so I doubt many people will have seen it.

1 hour ago, Malc said:

the only problem with the MK1 to my mind was that it was the " trial car " and the Mk2 followed with 16" wheels and tyres, brakes to match and then the Mk3 just overhauled it all quite quickly again

BUT great to have that original write-up for sure, well done finding it

Malc

I know what you mean, but there's something about the look of them on 15's.

• Like 1

The perverse side of these two Lexus models I have owned .

The Mark 1 1990 I bought in 1996 and it cost me £19k one owner 50k on the clock. New £32000 owned 18 years

The Mark 4 1998 I bought when it was 13 years old and it cost me £4k one owner with 19k on the clock New £56000 owned 6 years

The variances are enormous but the Mark 4 is better so there is no sense to the cost of buying or owning these vehicles.

I know one thing the Mark 1 had 190k when I sold it and it went for £600 so it did not owe me anything as I wrote the cost off through Tax in my Business.

The Mark 4 I think I owe it a few bob.

1 hour ago, ambermarine said:

The Mark 4 I think I owe it a few bob

£450 cash cost a year is just a mere trifle young man .................  think of all the cash depreciation you would have had by now had you purchased a 19k miles Ls600 at £xxx k in 2011 :unsure:

Malc

• Like 1

Speaking as someone who has yet to join the ranks of LS owners, my favourite is the MK3. I know the MK4 is supposed to be the "better" car but for me the MK3 has the right combination of looks and model development. 

• Like 1

I think they look great in maroon. I have photos of a couple:

34413735615_ec519ca256_c.jpg

1990/91 Lexus LS400 Mk1, H672YGF (1994) by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

This was one of many old shots I've purchased from the same photographer. He sadly died a few years ago and his son was selling them off. It appears we shared similar tastes and went to one or two of the same events, I'm even in the background of one of his photos.

10876506233_2f8e6e93de_c.jpg

1992 Lexus LS400 by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

The K...UPG plate suggests this was an ex-Lexus UK car. K553 UPG was used in a What Car? group test vs. Mercedes 600 SEL, Audi V8 and BMW 740i (November 1992). They placed it first, despite commenting on its lack of heritage and image.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links