Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2014 IS300h water pump failure

My car went to 60k service this Monday, and the dealer told me that the water pump was leaking. They quoted about £390 for the pump replacement, which isn’t crazy, but I decided to do it myself. Not quite because of the cost, but water pump leaking in 60k miles seems a bit too quick, and I wonder why.

When I took the pump out, it isn’t the gasket nor the belt, but Leaking from the bearing. I checked YouTube, seems like Camry with the same engine has this problem too.

I went for a third party pump (First Line, about £70 from eBay) rather than original pump. I think as the original pump wasn’t that reliable anyway, 3th party one may last longer.  If it fail again, it isn’t that hard to replace the pump.

5AA005D4-BDC3-4C2F-A65E-3EAF38FA4586.jpeg

D74C79B7-8887-4267-B7A4-7CAE47D00874.jpeg

D84DCED9-01CC-49D4-A9E7-C97C44D1DA56.jpeg

CBB23FC2-0901-4322-9A80-80ACD8455B81.jpeg

44A48728-3497-43C2-9AF1-EB47459511FF.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I’ve never heard of one leaking, but there’s always a first for something.

Did you replace the belt at the same time? I know 60k is early but whilst you have it all apart I wonder if it wasn’t good preventive maintenance

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, Jayw13702 said:

I’ve never heard of one leaking, but there’s always a first for something.

Did you replace the belt at the same time? I know 60k is early but whilst you have it all apart I wonder if it wasn’t good preventive maintenance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I order a Meyle belt with the same oem part number, maybe arrive next week and I’ll replace it. But the original belt looks ok, you don’t need any tool to replace the belt, just muscle it in.

I think the 80k service would include the water pump, and the chance of failure before 80k wasn’t that significant.

I order a Meyle belt with the same oem part number, maybe arrive next week and I’ll replace it. But the original belt looks ok, you don’t need any tool to replace the belt, just muscle it in.
I think the 80k service would include the water pump, and the chance of failure before 80k wasn’t that significant.

If they are supposed to be replaced at 80K then I am on borrowed time at 155,000 miles!!
It is one of my next jobs to do along with the drive belt

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Well done fixing this yourself, Lexus do seem prone to leaking water pumps although usually at higher mileages/years.

Fingers crossed that the replacement holds up.

• 2 years later...

I’ve just discovered that I have a water leak too I can see Pink water ( antifreeze) residue staining on the covers below the engine just under the water pump and radiator there’s staining also on the casing below the pump .

Although I can find it actually wet is there anyway to prove if it’s the radiator or water pump .14 plate IS300H 55k

32 minutes ago, Ger Mo said:

Although I can find it actually wet is there anyway to prove if it’s the radiator or water pump .14 plate IS300H 55k

Take it for a drive and then try and spot where it is coming from whilst the system still has pressure. It would likely still be coming out the radiator if that has the leak.

Otherwise you need a pressure testing kit to pressurise the system which will make coolant come out faster than normal - and with a cold engine you can feel around for any wet area.

20 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Belt is a stretch fit so no tensioner, probably the reason why the WP bearings have failed but at least an easier replacement than a cam belt driven pump.

Yeah, just brute force needed. Lexus recommend using a cloth so you don't trap your fingers.

image.thumb.png.b2abce38a32f4cf1737e58e6d97de07c.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This guide may help without putting up a fight & the tool used I believe is Laser 8331 approx £18 delivered. 

If replacing the water pump or belt it would be a good investment, prying it with other tools has risk of further damage to the pulleys.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165713592944?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=yvwl7HUSReq&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=m3fnkB75QhS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2022 at 10:11 AM, Kermitpwee said:

There is a recall on the water pump In Ireland, I had it done FOC, quite common, I did have FLSH at the time.

Indeed. When I got my is300h it came with a Lexus invoice (FOC) for the replacement of the water pump. Fingers crossed that's all it takes.

• 3 months later...

So the pump on my 2014 started to fail too at around 90k miles. Sounds like a fairly common problem. The failure wasn't sudden or catastrophic. There was pink residue around the waterpump and it seemed to be intermittently leaking. Like the OP it seems like it was leaking from the bearings as well. Coolant levels didn't fall too much so probably could have stretched the old pump a bit more. It wasn't actively leaking but whenever I would open the bonnet there would be fine white powder on everything. The mistake I made is i called it out when i took the car for service to lexus after I bought the car. Back then the car didn't have an active relax warranty as the previous owner didn't service it at lexus and hence Lexus didn't want to fix it. They were like we cant cover problems that your car came in with when the warranty was not active. I hoped to at least get a discount but no Lexus Twickenham didn't want to know about it. 

I then started shopping around for quotes and was surprised at the difference in costs between lexus dealers. Lexus Twickenham wanted £428 to change the waterpump and Lexus Hayes quoted me £320 with the pump and a new belt. An indie quoted around £380. It was a nobrainer i got this done yesterday at Lexus Hayes. I also changed the radiator cap (not the reservoir bottle cap) as that had a minor leak as well. Not sure if this failue is common. 

I considered doing it myself as its a fairly simple job and I could get the original pump for as low as £75 on Amayama but it seemed like a lot of time and effort + disposing used coolant etc. So just got it done professionally. 

Also i decided to go with the original pump as I think lexus have updated the design of the pump as it looks a bit different here vs what i saw on eBay and other sites. https://lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/product/lexus-is-phase-3-water-pump-2-5l-petrol-hybrid/

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

My IS300h, 2017 went for the 120.000 km. Service today and I learned the water pump needed replacement because of leakage. Luckily my Lexus is covered under Lexus 10 year warranty service, so FOC repair. If not under warranty I would have probably replaced it myself. Still very happy with coverage and “red carpet” treatment. Sure you pay for it, but the experience is worth it to me in the end. 😄

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EcZ said:

My IS300h, 2017 went for the 120.000 km. Service today and I learned the water pump needed replacement because of leakage. Luckily my Lexus is covered under Lexus 10 year warranty service, so FOC repair. If not under warranty I would have probably replaced it myself. Still very happy with coverage and “red carpet” treatment. Sure you pay for it, but the experience is worth it to me in the end. 😄

How much are you paying for the 10 year warranty and what are the stipulations behind the warranty? Mileage etc . I'm interested in this warranty 

5 minutes ago, Colinb623 said:

How much are you paying for the 10 year warranty and what are the stipulations behind the warranty? Mileage etc . I'm interested in this warranty 

Both my cars have been covered by the warranty simply by having the service done at Lexus, but I believe there is a 10 yr 100K mile limit. Having said that my oldest car is 11 yrs old and I got an email confirming another year's warranty.🧐

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links