Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone used Kwik-fit's free 5V/12V battery check service?

Does anyone know if they take one look at a hybrid or look for the Battery in the engine bay and can't find it, and suck through their teeth, saying 'ooh, I can't touch a hybrid, mate, sorry'?

The 12V Battery on my CT200h Adv won't hold its charge, so I'd like to approach Lexus with as many independent test results as possible, but Kwik-fit seems to be my only option.

I've been using a CTEK charger to keep it charged, but I can't keep this going forever.

I don't mean to disparage Kwik-fit, but does anyone have experience persuading a garage to touch a hybrid, if the mechanics are wary?

Cheers.

7 minutes ago, BossCT200hAdv said:

The 12V battery on my CT200h Adv won't hold its charge, so I'd like to approach Lexus with as many independent test results as possible,

How long have you had the car? I doubt that you'll get anywhere with Lexus unless you've only had the car for a very short time.

As you'll see below, the 12V Battery is not covered in either the original manufacturer's warranty or the extended warranty:

2020-08-16.thumb.png.263be998d02b5dd9bf78e7c70022a877.png

lexwarr.thumb.png.a0774ad3ee81f3740a7485390049151c.png

It was an ex-demonstration model and it's coming up to 3 years since it was manufactured.  I've taken it to the Lexus dealer and they simply charged it to 75% (I didn't know that at the time) and sent me on my way, saying everything was fine.  The website states that, given the lockdown, it will "take a sympathetic approach to service and warranty at this time".  If I can avoid the £125, for a replacement, then I'd like to try.

No harm in trying but I'd be surprised if they do sort it under warranty.

The last car Battery I bought came with a five-year warranty but that's very rare these days, with most Battery manufacturers only covering them for up to three years.

6 hours ago, Paul Brooksbank said:

Quik Fit are trained to tell you that it's knackered anyway. I wouldn't trust them to find my car, let alone a fault. 

4 hours ago, scudney said:

Same here,wouldn't go near them 👎

Absolutely. If they could find the car and Battery, they'd try to sell you a replacement at least three times more expensive than the one you needed.

12 hours ago, Paul Brooksbank said:

Quik Fit are trained to tell you that it's knackered anyway. I wouldn't trust them to find my car, let alone a fault. 

10 hours ago, scudney said:

Same here,wouldn't go near them 👎

This. And not just having a go because it's a cheap shot at Kwik Fit but I think your local Lexus dealer would probably be of the same opinion. KF are hardly expert witnesses. If you have Lexus breakdown cover I'd guess a report from the AA next time the car won't start would carry much more weight. Had something similar when I called them out for the Saab (again!) last week.

I think a friendly and even tempered chat with your dealer pointing out your car's Lexus history is the best you can do. Can't think you'll get it for nowt but you might be looked after. Even tempered is the key. I'm sure you wouldn't but jumping in feet first is never the approach to take.

• Like 1

Thanks all for the advice.

You're probably correct regarding Kwik-fit.  It was the clueless mechanics I was particularly concerned about, scratching their heads about why a Battery is in the boot and 'what's AGM', etc.

Kwik-fit reference using Bosch testing equipment - I assume one of those hand-held testers, with a little integrated printer - so I've found some Bosch accredited garages I'll approach first, before having another go with Lexus.

https://www.boschcarservice.com/gb/en/workshop_services_2/electronic_service/battery_check/battery_check

Quite a few years ago I took redundancy from British Rail. I applied for a job at an independent tyre and exhaust company that was set up by an ex Kwik Fit area manager. He told at the interview that he didn't want his staff "inventing faults and frightening lone mothers into buying more than they needed" he also told me that Kwik Fit had a minimum £90.00 per customer spend strategy, that means they try to get that amount out of every visitor. By the way, this was in 1997. You can treble those numbers now!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links