Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS250 "SE" or "F Sport"?

Hello Club Members, first time posting in this lovely forum. 

I recently took the decision to avoid the Manual IS250 and go for the Auto instead, credit to the many posts and views I came across in this forum. No doubt I also test drove the Manual which only confirmed the general (unanimous?) view. It certainly does move like a mini truck in comparison to the auto in my humble opinion 😜

My next hurdle however is whether to go for the SE or F-Sport. I'm looking at a 2008 SE version and a 2010 F-Sport at the moment. F-Sport looks a much nicer machine with the additional trimmings, although the 2008 has lovely beige interior that i'm sure to miss out in the SE.

Question I have is the drive - i'd never thought about this before but with slightly lower suspension (?) and slightly larger wheels, does anyone know whether the F-Sport drives a little 'rougher'? 

Also, which one of the 2 would you recommend? With the F-Sport slightly higher in price, is there much of a difference in terms of spec inside and out? 

Thanks in advance...  

Welcome to the club,

Whenever to go for SE or F-Sport it will depend on the features you need and your budget. To better help you to understand the differences between trims I would need to do a long write-up, but you may be able to find it in previous posts.

For simplicity sake, range goes something like this:

SE > SR > Sport > Advance > SE-i > F-Sport > SE-L

As you can see SE will have least equipment, F-Sport is second best equipped car. It is quite difficult to compare some trims as some existed at different times in model life-cycle and some equipment was introduced into models during various facelifts. So for example SE-L is the top of the range, but the earliest SE-L overall may be worse equipped than latest F-Sport.

Then there are subtle differences which may or may not be important to you, like F-Sport having only heated, but not cooled seats (like SE-L and many other trims), SE-L is the only trim with rear blind and wood trim.

Regarding suspension - F-Sport generally has same suspension like all other trims in UK, there are some discussion whenever certain year models may have been 10mm lower, but all in all this should not impact your experience. 

IS250 was available with 16", 17" and 18" wheels. SE generally had 16-17", F-Sport had 18" - other trims had 17-18". I would say perfect compromise is 17" - provides both of best words, not too hard, but handles decently and does not look too bad. 16" - just does not provide necessary grip and handling. 18" - best for handling, but not as comfortable, fuel economy is not as good and tyres more expensive. 

I personally had 18" on mine, mostly because of the looks, but I appreciated better handling as well (although I had 245 tyre in rear not 255, which would be overkill). But as said, fuel economy was worse and car was slightly less comfortable, but not to the level where I think it was uncomfortable.

Finally, What other criteria do you have? Colour, mileage? certain options? Because, I am sure there are more cars on the market to choose than just single SE and single F-Sport. I suggest not to rush and select the car which you would actually like to own long term (at least if that is your intent).

Like buying any car, you have to drive as many as you can and do an objective assessment of the pros and cons of each.  I enjoyed the luxury and comfort of my 2006 SEL but didn't have satnav and reversing camera as it was too early a model.  I bought a TomTom for 50 quid though and saved a couple of grand on a later model with higher mileage.  At least you know the marque and model you're after, it's just down to trim level now with an eye on future desirability if/when you  eventually sell!

Sat-Nav with reverse camera was always an option on SE-L, even early models. But to be honest sat-nav is so terrible on mk2 IS that I would not bother having it at all, I guess the only benefit of having it is that reverse camera - despite very poor quality video it is still better than nothing and makes parking easier. Anyway I would not spay one extra penny to have this option in the car... if it comes up in the car I like anyway for the same price then it is great, if not then not.

35 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

But to be honest sat-nav is so terrible on mk2 IS that I would not bother having it at all

It is the one disappointing feature of my IS250.  In fact I use the Garmin sat/nav that I brought over from my previous car.  So I get quarterly free updates and a system that doesn’t demand a manual of hundreds of pages in order to get you where you want to go.

Quite why Lexus will buy in a superior audio system but remain committed to such an inferior sat/nav is a mystery.

Well.... your IS has much newer system than mk2... but you right it still sucks. I have same system in my RC and I still use phone for navigation. The only benefit of our systems is that it has full Bluetooth phone integration (late mk2s had that as well, from ~2010) so basically it is just as useful as Bluetooth speaker for me 🙂

Personally speaking the satnav in my is250 with the updated as possible CD is pretty good and better than the negative opinions on it. So what if it hasn't the very latest roads/streets. It'll get you to within 100 yards of where you want to get to. As for the OP's request for opinions on SE or F sport. It's all down to what 'toys' you want. Service history. 

1 hour ago, Mr Vlad said:

better than the negative opinions on it. So what if it hasn't the very latest roads/streets. It'll get you to within 100 yards of where you want to get to.

Depends what you compare it with... simple phone with google maps will run circles around it, even sat-navs in other cars from same era are better. If your phone has died, then I guess it is better than nothing... 

In the end of the day I rarely use sat-nav to tell me where to go, more often to check the traffic and calculate the "true" quickest route and avoid traffic jams. 

I’ve purchased a facelift 2010 F Sport recently and as much as I would have liked to have cooled seats, I do prefer the slightly sportier ride as it suits my driving style. Mine does ride a little rough but overall the experience is very comfortable still so it’s a nice balance I find. 

It comes with every other conceivable extra, plus the benefit of the 2010 F sport is that it will come with Bluetooth music as a standard which helps with the outdated infotainment. That and the parking mirrors dipping down when in reverse gear alone is enough for me to recommend the F Sport most definitely over an older SE. It’s worth noting the 2010 F sport unlike the ones released in 2011 and 2012 deleted the west memory function but the 2010 keeps it which is great if the car will have multiple drivers.

Do make sure the service history looks good for either vehicle, don’t let high mileage necessarily put you off also.

1 hour ago, McShmoopy said:

That and the parking mirrors dipping down when in reverse gear alone is enough for me to recommend the F Sport most definitely over an older SE.

Interesting ... my '06 SE-L includes that facility, maybe it was a factory option when new 🤔 .

16 minutes ago, Sundance said:

Interesting ... my '06 SE-L includes that facility, maybe it was a factory option when new 🤔 .

I think what he meant is that SE, does not have it. As far as I know all trims had it except of SR, Sport and SE

45 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

I think what he meant is that SE, does not have it. As far as I know all trims had it except of SR, Sport and SE

Sport has it too. It requires the memory functionality and positioning sensors - any IS with memory seats/mirrors will dip the mirror in reverse.

9 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Sport has it too. It requires the memory functionality and positioning sensors - any IS with memory seats/mirrors will dip the mirror in reverse.

Ok - so that was linked to memory seats then, but Sport, SR and SE does no have memory seats as standard, whereas all other grades does (advance?). Meaning that Sport, SR, SE has this as optional, rest as standard. 

13 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Mmmmm I've just picked something up from this. Side mirror dips when reverse selected? On my SE-L they don't. 

You need to have the mirror selector set to one of the mirror positions, either L or R. If you have it in the middle setting the dipping won't occur.

Yeah Colin I've tried that a short while back and if memory serves the amount of dip was negligible. I will however have another look as it has been a good few months I've tried it. Cheers for the reminder 👍

1 minute ago, Mr Vlad said:

Yeah Colin I've tried that a short while back and if memory serves the amount of dip was negligible. I will however have another look as it has been a good few months I've tried it. Cheers for the reminder 👍

They tend to get a bit lazy with age, a strip down and a drop of silicone spray will possibly restore them to their former glory

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Vlad said:

Yes it isn't massive but it is better than nothing, on other cars the dip more. Other thing you may try is cleaning and lubricating mechanism if you rarely change setting (which is likely if you are the only one driving) then the whole mechanism could get stuck in place. 

Ok peeps, many thanks for the feedback - even though this went off topic, but that was natural. I didn't realise the F-Sport didn't have cooled seats which was a cool feature (literally! :-)) I thought when I came across it... I was still debating between the 2 cars (SE-L and not SE in the end) or the F-Sport and the decision is...

*** Drum Roll ***

Going for the F-Sport! Had someone from clickmechanic.com carry out a pre-purchase inspection today and all came back pretty good, aside from a few minor bits. For the year, mileage and price I feel its good buy... hopefully won't be back here soon asking for advice following car trouble *touch wood*

Regarding some of the other topics on here, quite comment on how useful the sat-nav is... I totally agree that its useless (ok not useless) compared to phone apps that importantly track live traffic... I would probably never use the built-in sat nav. However, there are the other nice uses for the screen (media/ventilation etc) that give it the added touch that i feel is well worth going for... there's my 2 pence on the topic!

Will keep you posted on the new car! 

19 hours ago, SnrNetOps said:

However, there are the other nice uses for the screen (media/ventilation etc) that give it the added touch that i feel is well worth going for...

I guess that is my only reason not to have it... as physical buttons are just so much easier to use compared to rather insensitive touch screen of this era. But at least you have repeater buttons for key functions. 

Reverse camera is actually useful and for F-Sport you should already have "smart guide lines" (basically they change when you turn the wheel) - older models just had static ones.

Good luck with the purchase!

Many Thanks Linas.P

Picked up the car today... a real beauty. First lexus and glad its the is250 auto... smooth, quiet and powerful, living to it's reputation.

However there are a couple of things that are causing me slight worry/concern which I want to share for any guidance/reassurance if anyone can help. 

1. There is a slight humming noise coming from under the gearstick when accelerating, not there when idle. Was noticible when on the motorway, probably as the rest of car is very quiet and I had my foot on the gas pedal consistently. The mechanic who inspected before the purchase did mention it in his report "Very faint noise transmitted form transmission tunnel area but not enough to be of great concern" and we spoke it too where he said it wasn't too much of a concern, but I'd be lying if I said it hasnt got me worried, particularly after doing some googling on the topic (appreciate googling has great potential to increase ones paranoia). Any ideas on this please? Its hard to describing, a bit of a mix of whinning/humming...

2. Also, how 'nippy' can I expect the is250 to be. Or how quick off the mark? its not sluggish by any means and a lot quicker when in sports mode but otherwise not hugely great on the pickup unless you get you 3000 revs or above. Is this normal? My previous car was a Golf GT-TDI 150 bhp so I guess I might be comparing it to that...

Many thanks

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, SnrNetOps said:

There is a slight humming noise coming from under the gearstick when accelerating

Any noise when revving the engine in neutral with the car stationary?  Does the noise disappear immediately when you lift off the gas?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links