Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Considering a purchase - MK3 (maybe MK2) GS300 / GS430 / GS460 (maybe a GS450H, but quite unlikely)

Hi guys and gals (also 'they' if appropriate),

So, I sold my IS250 today sadly and I've been on the hunt for a different car. Initially, I was looking for something a bit more practical - i.e. a hatchback or a dreaded estate (I must be getting old!). Since having a Lexus, it's difficult to look at other cars if I'm honest. I think they are that good, despite being a lifelong Honda fan.

The truth is - I absolutely love saloons and coupes. I'm just a big fan of the style of them, it's just a personal thing. I've owned a lot of saloons and coupes in my time and it is purely because I like them so much. My favourite cars that I've owned are as follows - an EJ8 Civic Coupe, an E86 BMW Z4 3.0 Si, an E39 M Sport manual and lastly a CL9 Honda Accord 2.4 manual.

I shouldn't need to worry about practicality, I'm in my 30's, no kids and no plans for them and I have use of another saloon (the seats at least fold down in my Accord)

The things I'm after in a car:

• Waftability - I know this is a made up word, but a car with nice supple/compliant suspension. I've owned a lot of Honda's and I feel that has been one of the biggest downsides with their stock suspension. Admittedly, I shouldn't compare as they are not supposed to be as luxurious as a Lexus (excluding perhaps the Legend)
  • Reliability - Extremely important, this is a personal thing having owned 6 Honda's and 2 Lexus's in my time - I'm used to reliability now and if it can be done, why not have it!
  • Comfort - I found over time that the IS250 seats although comfortable, were too shallow for my rather 'portly' frame 😆. So, the GS seats appear to fit the bill on this front. I'll be viewing some this week to get an idea
  • Decent boot space - I know the boot space isn't huge in the MK3 GS but apparently it's decent. This is another thing that puts me off of the GS450H. Apparently the MK2 boots are huge, so I will have a look at one.
  • Decent acceleration - hence the GS300 / GS430 consideration

I'm currently seriously considering a MK3 GS300 or GS430 (GS460 I understand are pretty much unicorn status these days!). The fuel efficiency isn't a concern for me at all as I don't drive a lot and I'm used to spending money on petrol (better than money on repairs!). So, my queries are as follows:

1. Can any current owners chime in regards their overall experience of their GS300 / GS430? I've read lots of comments on the forum, but it's always good to hear current comments rather than historic
  2. I've heard of engine issues with the GS300 regarding carbon deposits, but I'm unsure if this was a common issue or something stateside specifically
  3. As an extreme outside contender, I'm considering a GS450H - but I'm put off by 2 things - lack of boot space which is important for me and the engine/drivetrain being more complicated and therefore 'somewhat' less reliable. I see it as another thing to go wrong and considering fuel consumption being a non-issue for me, it seems to be a false economy (no pun intended). I'm right in saying based on these points, it's probably not for me? (on paper anyway)
  4. Am I right in saying the GS430 has a cambelt and the GS300 / GS460 has a timing chain?
  5. What are the common faults on these models? I've noticed suspension mentioned a fair amount, is it a complicated suspension setup? I've seen the switch for the suspension on these models.

I'd also try and aim for a pre March 06 model to avoid that extra tax bracket if possible, although I think the GS460's were 06 onwards (I could be wrong).

My budget is reasonable (I think) at around £5k, I could stretch to £6k for the right car!

Thanks all

16 minutes ago, JDM-Fiend said:

Hi guys and gals (also 'they' if appropriate),

So, I sold my IS250 today sadly and I've been on the hunt for a different car. Initially, I was looking for something a bit more practical - i.e. a hatchback or a dreaded estate (I must be getting old!). Since having a Lexus, it's difficult to look at other cars if I'm honest. I think they are that good, despite being a lifelong Honda fan.

The truth is - I absolutely love saloons and coupes. I'm just a big fan of the style of them, it's just a personal thing. I've owned a lot of saloons and coupes in my time and it is purely because I like them so much. My favourite cars that I've owned are as follows - an EJ8 Civic Coupe, an E86 BMW Z4 3.0 Si, an E39 M Sport manual and lastly a CL9 Honda Accord 2.4 manual.

I shouldn't need to worry about practicality, I'm in my 30's, no kids and no plans for them and I have use of another saloon (the seats at least fold down in my Accord)

The things I'm after in a car:

• Waftability - I know this is a made up word, but a car with nice supple/compliant suspension. I've owned a lot of Honda's and I feel that has been one of the biggest downsides with their stock suspension. Admittedly, I shouldn't compare as they are not supposed to be as luxurious as a Lexus (excluding perhaps the Legend)
  • Reliability - Extremely important, this is a personal thing having owned 6 Honda's and 2 Lexus's in my time - I'm used to reliability now and if it can be done, why not have it!
  • Comfort - I found over time that the IS250 seats although comfortable, were too shallow for my rather 'portly' frame 😆. So, the GS seats appear to fit the bill on this front. I'll be viewing some this week to get an idea
  • Decent boot space - I know the boot space isn't huge in the MK3 GS but apparently it's decent. This is another thing that puts me off of the GS450H. Apparently the MK2 boots are huge, so I will have a look at one.
  • Decent acceleration - hence the GS300 / GS430 consideration

I'm currently seriously considering a MK3 GS300 or GS430 (GS460 I understand are pretty much unicorn status these days!). The fuel efficiency isn't a concern for me at all as I don't drive a lot and I'm used to spending money on petrol (better than money on repairs!). So, my queries are as follows:

1. Can any current owners chime in regards their overall experience of their GS300 / GS430? I've read lots of comments on the forum, but it's always good to hear current comments rather than historic
  2. I've heard of engine issues with the GS300 regarding carbon deposits, but I'm unsure if this was a common issue or something stateside specifically
  3. As an extreme outside contender, I'm considering a GS450H - but I'm put off by 2 things - lack of boot space which is important for me and the engine/drivetrain being more complicated and therefore 'somewhat' less reliable. I see it as another thing to go wrong and considering fuel consumption being a non-issue for me, it seems to be a false economy (no pun intended). I'm right in saying based on these points, it's probably not for me? (on paper anyway)
  4. Am I right in saying the GS430 has a cambelt and the GS300 / GS460 has a timing chain?
  5. What are the common faults on these models? I've noticed suspension mentioned a fair amount, is it a complicated suspension setup? I've seen the switch for the suspension on these models.

I'd also try and aim for a pre March 06 model to avoid that extra tax bracket if possible, although I think the GS460's were 06 onwards (I could be wrong).

Thanks all

I notice Chan you don't mention budget? I used to have a Saab 9-5 and have to say a fantastic car, tragic about their demise 

2 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

I notice Chan you don't mention budget? I used to have a Saab 9-5 and have to say a fantastic car, tragic about their demise 

I should have said - I reckon up to £5k-£6k.

Will update the post!

1 minute ago, JDM-Fiend said:

I should have said - I reckon up to £5k-£6k.

Will update the post!

For that price point certainly look at Saab, the comfort is superb and there are enough fans of the brand to ensure parts availability and servicing. 

4 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

For that price point certainly look at Saab, the comfort is superb and there are enough fans of the brand to ensure parts availability and servicing. 

Thanks for the suggestion, I will have a look.

1 hour ago, Phil xxkr said:

Just ensure that it is a SAAB and not a Vauxhall!😉

• Like 1

Having had several Saab’s in the past I think the seats and general comfort of the GS300 is far superior especially the premier range where the seats have plenty of adjustment

15 minutes ago, westo3 said:

Having had several Saab’s in the past I think the seats and general comfort of the GS300 is far superior especially the premier range where the seats have plenty of adjustment

Just to check, I assume you mean the Mk4? As you mentioned Premier? 

Or did you mean the Mk3 too? 

UPDATE:

I went to see a GS430 today and the overall feeling of being in one is pretty much exactly what I'm after. It's like a larger and more refined IS250, which is not a bad thing. The seats were larger and supported my frame much better 😄

The wave of torque from the engine was both effortless and strong, I really appreciated it.

The one I saw today was a quite worn and a bit beat up, so it was more to get a feel for a car rather than buy that particular one. Exciting times ahead (I hope!)

I'm still on the hunt, if anyone sees one - please let me know! GS430 MK3 ideally, but I'd possibly consider a MK2.

20 hours ago, JDM-Fiend said:

My favourite cars that I've owned are as follows - an EJ8 Civic Coupe,

I also had a 1994 Civic coupe before the Prius. Great car but it started to have problems when I moved to Ireland in 2007 until the point that it was not convenient to fix it anymore and moreover it had an Italian plate so I could not insure it in Ireland and I did not want to put Irish plates. I am now looking for a GS450H and hopefully I will not regret the huge boot of the Prius. Good luck with your hunt.  

• Like 1

So, I'm going to view a GS430 tomorrow with the possible intent of buying. This all hinges on condition, paperwork and how it drives.

Is there anything anyone would recommend to look out for? My list of things to check so far or be wary of:

• Suspension can be expensive to replace, so check if there is any misting on the suspension arms
  • Cambelt has to be replaced every 6 year or 60k (I read elsewhere it's 10 years and 10k, but I'll err on the side of caution)
  • Regular servicing is important
  • The car should drive very smoothly, including gearchanges from the auto box
  • Carry out a HPI check while I am there

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Hi,  I have a black GS460 for sale if you are interested. It's high milage and needs some bodywork TLC but is a fab car otherwise. I don't have the time or funds to sort it so moving it on. 

18 minutes ago, Ameena said:

Hi,  I have a black GS460 for sale if you are interested. It's high milage and needs some bodywork TLC but is a fab car otherwise. I don't have the time or funds to sort it so moving it on. 

Hi there, PM me some details please! Thanks. 

On 7/2/2021 at 3:35 PM, Ameena said:

Rare to see a GS460 for sale. Can I ask how many miles has it covered?

• 2 weeks later...

Update: 

So, I test drove a GS250 F Sport yesterday. Super lovely cabin and nice quality materials. Beautiful colour combo as it was Grey metallic exterior with a Plum coloured interior. It was a bit weird getting used to the auto handbrake and the quirkiness of the indicators, which I'm sure I'd get used to. I was very pleased to see how large the boot was, which is a big sticking point of mine. The ride quality was very nice, even on the 19 inch wheels. It got worse at lower speeds on rougher grounds, but still much more comfortable than my last IS250 and our current Honda Accord (not a fair comparison, but that's all I have to compare to!)

I've come away from the test drive quite confused. I think it felt slower than it actually was. I assume this is also due to it being fairly well insulated, but also having the same engine from an IS250 - which would mean it's slower. It's definitely no slouch, it perhaps felt very grown up - which is no bad thing.

I may have shot myself in the foot, as the last cars I test drove recently was a Civic Type R but more importantly, a GS430. The GS430 V8 torque was unbelievable, very undramatic in the delivery but a very serious shove of torque.

I'm not counting out a GS250, but it'd need to be slightly better kept than the one I saw with more comprehensive history. Also, cheaper 😆

Over and out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links