Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content


Recommended Posts

My October 1995 car with almost undamaged paint finish and never re-painted areas has, just this past week, showed signs of lacquer peeling ............  only at the tops of the nearside doors BUT nonetheless has just started

Just totally age related and I'm a bit surprised, had thought that might only affect repainted and lacquered areas at some time .... Cest le vie

Ant thoughts ?

Malc

Link to comment
Share on other sites


6 minutes ago, Malc said:

My October 1995 car with almost undamaged paint finish and never re-painted areas has, just this past week, showed signs of lacquer peeling ............  only at the tops of the nearside doors BUT nonetheless has just started

Just totally age related and I'm a bit surprised, had thought that might only affect repainted and lacquered areas at some time .... Cest le vie

Ant thoughts ?

Malc

You are fortunate Malc. The Merc`s lacquer has been peeling from its metallic red paint for at least 5years. Roof is now racquerless and rest of car moving slowly in the same direction. It has been a problem with red Mercs for year generally so I`m told.

I cannot see it from the inside though!🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Never had lacquer peel on mine but the roof looked like it had been attacked by a group of feral cats, appeared scratched all over.

Took it to my usual body shop and had it re-sprayed along with the boot lid as it had a few scratches also.

It cost me a grand which I know I’ll never recover but the car owes me nothing after 15 years of ownership.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


ferral cats get fed at our place, along with our own 4 cats and next doors social misfit of a cat ...........  they know I'd pull their claws out of they did damage like that :unsure: .  only joking honest !

I'm thinking I might bite the bullet at some stage and have the poorly looking wheels refurbished and the odd blemish ( but no broken paintwork, just the odd non too deep scratch methinks ) " cleaned up " and making her look a little more presentable

My only fear is that as soon as I've spent a grand or so on all this, some mumpty will come along and cause me to get her written-off properly, rather than just the delightful Cat N she is now ...  ho hum ......  wot to do :unsure:

Malc

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had some lacquer peel on my 2006 Subaru. 😔

You can't account for the actions of others though. Do what makes you take the most pleasure in the car.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


4 minutes ago, dublet said:

Do what makes you take the most pleasure in the car.

driving her for about 15k miles a year o'er hill and dale and into the EU and all around.....  without caring too much what people may think of her looks .....  it's the sheer delight of the comfort and safety and reliability of driving this dear old lady that makes me happy ............ venturing into and around pastures a'new .......  this damned covid has certainly put a lid on all that these past 18 months 😵

Malc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My 2nd Honda Legend had the scabbiest bonnet I have ever seen. The lacquer flaked off like it had leprosy.
It looked so nasty that people didn't want to park next to me, which suited me just fine. :thumbup:
I could have replaced the bonnet or could have had it rubbed back and re-lacquered but in the end I just couldn't be bothered.
I paid £900 for a car with ??? miles on it (odo died a while ago and air-con didn't work) and drove it for 3 years/35k miles until I bought my LS.
I got £300 from the breaker who picked it up, and he said he would probably sell it to a banger racer as they were indestructible.
Cheapest car I have ever owned but looked like crap.

My LS has a slightly cloudy patch on the left side of the bonnet.
I run the polisher over it with some T-Cut Blue and that cures it for about a year or so, but it keeps coming back.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Malc said:

 

I'm thinking I might bite the bullet at some stage and have the poorly looking wheels refurbished and the odd blemish ( but no broken paintwork, just the odd non too deep scratch methinks ) " cleaned up " and making her look a little more presentable

My only fear is that as soon as I've spent a grand or so on all this, some mumpty will come along and cause me to get her written-off properly, rather than just the delightful Cat N she is now ...  ho hum ......  wot to do :unsure:

Malc

Interesting Malc, as My wheels are very poor. I decided to do them myself, as the cost of back to stock was going to be around £500. Someone on the forum did their GS wheels with Halfords paint. I have done one wheel and it looks much better than before. I used a BMW (shame on me I know) Titanium silver. Quite a bit of work for just one wheel but I have the time. 

Probably asking for the impossible but.......

Does anyone know of a spray paint that has a chrome type finish? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/11/2021 at 10:09 AM, royoftherovers said:

You are fortunate Malc. The Merc`s lacquer has been peeling from its metallic red paint for at least 5years. Roof is now racquerless and rest of car moving slowly in the same direction. It has been a problem with red Mercs for year generally so I`m told.

I cannot see it from the inside though!🤣

Not just red Mercs John, many red metallic makes suffer - Toyota Carina for one.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

many red metallic makes suffer

and a number of Post Office not too old vans too I've been noticing

Malc

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Malc said:

and a number of Post Office not too old vans too I've been noticing

Malc

Flat reds are terrible for going pink! I had one that colour - lovely colour until it faded on the bonnet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Probably asking for the impossible but....... Does anyone know of a spray paint that has a chrome type finish? 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Auto-Extreme-9955-Paint-Spray/dp/B07NJGVPVQ
They even show a wheel on the can. :thumbup:
Make sure that you use an etch primer first if you have any exposed aluminium.
I've used it on some aluminium motorcycle parts to great effect, but never on anything as large or exposed as a wheel.
If I used it on a wheel, I'd want to cover it in an epoxy clearcoat afterwards.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, BigBoomer said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Auto-Extreme-9955-Paint-Spray/dp/B07NJGVPVQ
They even show a wheel on the can. :thumbup:
Make sure that you use an etch primer first if you have any exposed aluminium.
I've used it on some aluminium motorcycle parts to great effect, but never on anything as large or exposed as a wheel.
If I used it on a wheel, I'd want to cover it in an epoxy clearcoat afterwards.

Thank you George, I will give that a try.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership