Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New E10 petrol

Re the new e10 I was forced to put in my car last week (as v power ran out at all shells) I put in new e10 fuel since Monday and been driving up to Thursday 14 miles a day and my fuel gauge barely moved not even one bar gone yet so I’m thinking it lasting a lot longer then old e5 fuel probably what they had in mind Re eco credentials? I will go back to my v power fuel when empty though.

Coincidental I think, because even the government acknowledge that E10 is less efficient and will yield slightly less mpg. In balance it does cut down on emissions a bit even though a lilies more of it will be burnt to cover the same distance.

Best of all for efficiency is zero ethanol - Esso premium is the only pump fuel I have been able to verify as being ethanol free (although that does not apply to some areas of the Uk). Details are on Esso website.

Don’t be fooled by E5 label on the pump into thinking it contains ethanol. E5 means ‘up to 5% ethanol’ - there is no such label as E0 so Esso are forced by law to use E5 label.

I use premium In my GSF and motorbikes.

I’ve come across the 97 octane too, but the 99 is far more common. I wonder if the 97 green pumps have not been updated since they upped the octane rating to 99 (I wouldn’t have thought they still do both 97 and 99 although it could be on an area by are basis). 

On 10/14/2021 at 8:37 PM, Riccccccardo said:

Re the new e10 I was forced to put in my car last week (as v power ran out at all shells) I put in new e10 fuel since Monday and been driving up to Thursday 14 miles a day and my fuel gauge barely moved not even one bar gone yet so I’m thinking it lasting a lot longer then old e5 fuel probably what they had in mind Re eco credentials? I will go back to my v power fuel when empty though.

Nope, e10 has slightly less power available per litre than E5. You'll get around 97-98% of the fuel efficiency compared with E5 so slightly less.

For it's eco-credentials, its now 10% bio-fuel instead of 5%, and as bio-fuel is carbon neutral (or better) this reduces the carbon footprint of the fuel considerably.

On 10/15/2021 at 5:35 AM, Malc said:

The Esso in my area is a red labelled  E5  99* octane rating

The others seem to be green labelled E5  97 octane .........  without the *

Malc

E5 99 is performance fuel. I believe they put the * there because you shouldn't put it in cars that aren't designed
for performance as it can cause excessive wear on the valves. Most cars it won't cause any issues but on a dinky
little 1 litre they just aren't designed to handle performance fuels. Its more to cover their own arses than anything else 🙂 

4 hours ago, Pielight said:

I’ve come across the 97 octane too, but the 99 is far more common. I wonder if the 97 green pumps have not been updated since they upped the octane rating to 99 (I wouldn’t have thought they still do both 97 and 99 although it could be on an area by are basis). 

Nah, generally the stations only have a limited number of fuel tanks so stock as many varieties of fuel as they have tanks (or less).
I've seen a couple of stations stock 95, 97, 99 and 2 variants of diesel.

Depends a lot on the area which one is more common, if the area has a lot of performance cars, '99 tends to be more common, but for example around Bournemouth, hard to find '99.

15 hours ago, Steven Lockey said:

Nope, e10 has slightly less power available per litre than E5. You'll get around 97-98% of the fuel efficiency compared with E5 so slightly less.

For it's eco-credentials, its now 10% bio-fuel instead of 5%, and as bio-fuel is carbon neutral (or better) this reduces the carbon footprint of the fuel considerably.

E5 99 is performance fuel. I believe they put the * there because you shouldn't put it in cars that aren't designed
for performance as it can cause excessive wear on the valves. Most cars it won't cause any issues but on a dinky
little 1 litre they just aren't designed to handle performance fuels. Its more to cover their own arses than anything else 🙂 

No 99RON won’t cause excess wear or damage any car designed for 95RON. At worst you won’t experience any benefit . Most modern cars will adapt to 99RON not just performance cars, and advance the ignition point and be more fuel efficient. And now the lower enthenol content further improve the efficiency compared to 95RON

Esso Synergy Supreme 99  has no ethanol...

"Our Synergy Supreme+ 99 petrol has more cleaning power than our regular petrol – and includes molecules whose job it is to reduce the friction in your engine helping the moving parts work more efficiently.*

Although our pumps have E5 labels on them, our Synergy Supreme+ 99 is actually ethanol free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland). Legislation requires us to place these E5 labels on pumps that dispense unleaded petrol with ‘up to 5% ethanol’, including those that contain no ethanol, which is why we display them on our Synergy Supreme+ 99 pumps."

17 hours ago, Rensin55 said:

No 99RON won’t cause excess wear or damage any car designed for 95RON. At worst you won’t experience any benefit . Most modern cars will adapt to 99RON not just performance cars, and advance the ignition point and be more fuel efficient. And now the lower enthenol content further improve the efficiency compared to 95RON

Agree completely that MOST MODERN cars will have absolutely no problem with it.

On some cheaper/older cars, the fuel management system is particularly primitive however and higher octane fuels can result in too much pressure been placed on the valves.

Its more of a legacy thing now I think. As I said its more for them to cover their own arses than anything else.
At worst case it would result in the engine giving out a little sooner than it would normally.

On 10/17/2021 at 6:01 AM, Steven Lockey said:

Nah, generally the stations only have a limited number of fuel tanks so stock as many varieties of fuel as they have tanks (or less).
I've seen a couple of stations stock 95, 97, 99 and 2 variants of diesel.

Depends a lot on the area which one is more common, if the area has a lot of performance cars, '99 tends to be more common, but for example around Bournemouth, hard to find '99.

99 octane Esso supreme did in fact replace the 97 Octane version (you’ve perhaps come across filling stations in the transition stage). I just came across the post below which contains an extract from the Esso website upon the launch (last year) of the higher obtain version, which explains the shift from 97 to 99 octane.

https://www.porscheclubgb.com/news-and-events/news/2020/october/premium-petrol-without-the-price-tag 

Here we have either 95 E5 or 98 without E-label on BP pumps.

Shell has V-Power 98 also without the E-label plus the 95 octane. Have not looked if that is E-labeled.

E10 I have not seen anywhere.

There are at least 5 other brands of gasoline here, but only one refinery, so maybe ??????

Oh no- I have no idea of what I was going to write.

Also 2 different prices for diesel.

8 hours ago, Pielight said:

99 octane Esso supreme did in fact replace the 97 Octane version (you’ve perhaps come across filling stations in the transition stage). I just came across the post below which contains an extract from the Esso website upon the launch (last year) of the higher obtain version, which explains the shift from 97 to 99 octane.

https://www.porscheclubgb.com/news-and-events/news/2020/october/premium-petrol-without-the-price-tag 

That might be true for Esso but they aren't the only petrol station 🙂

20 hours ago, Steven Lockey said:

That might be true for Esso but they aren't the only petrol station 🙂

If you can find another brand that definitively declare they sell Ethanol free petrol, please let me know! 😉

On 10/19/2021 at 11:37 PM, Pielight said:

If you can find another brand that definitively declare they sell Ethanol free petrol, please let me know! 😉

Was referring to the multiple octane levels rather than Ethanol free side of it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links