Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Folding mirrors

jdp8735

I have just bought my first Lexus, having owned several BMWs over the past couple of decades, and am now trying to familiarise myself with  a new setup. The car is a 2020 CT200h just one year old.

I would like to link the opening and folding of the rear view mirrors to the unlocking and locking of the car so that I can tell at a glance whether the car is locked or not. The User Guide shows two different switch configurations which it calls Type A and Type B (p.54) It also says that if the mirror folding switch is in the neutral position it an be linked to the locking /unlocking of the car, but gives no detailed instruction on how to do this. My car has the Type A configuration and it seems to me that a "neutral" position is only possible with the Type B configuration which has a rocker switch,  and if this interpretation is correct it is only with the Type B configuration that one can achieve the aim given above. 

As I am a new kid on the block I would appreciate any advice or guidance  on this.  Help would be much appreciated.

Incidentally I like the car very much and it think the press criticism of its performance  - or lack of it -is somewhat overblown. 

If you have the Type A adjustment switch then you don't have auto-folding mirrors.

What grade CT do you have? If you input your VIN into the lexus-tech.eu website you can get the build sheet for your car. On the sheet it will show if you have auto-folding (A/f) mirrors or not.

Also you can download the full owner's handbook from the Lexus,uk website

Yes, the CT is a great car. We are happy with the one we have.

Surprised me that Lexus in 2020 is making a car that does not have automatically folding mirrors. I thought that the newer the car the more items would become standard.

I would go to the nearest Lexus and ask if it really is like that.

Thank you for the replies which are very helpful. I will check again but I fear that Peter is correct and that if the car has the Type A configuration then automatic folding is not installed. However I can concur with John's expression of surprise that a 2020 car does not have auto-folding. A pity because it would have been a quick and easy way to check at a glance whether the car was locked or not. Not a major issue however. Thanks for the suggestions Peter, I do not have the V5C at the moment I am waiting for it to arrive from DVLA showing me as the new owner of the car.  I also have the personal number plate from my previous car on retention so I want to get that on this one. The car is a CT200h with the premium pack and the Tech pack (not the Premier pack ) so it has premium navigation , LED headlights,  and headlamp washers. I am finding the navigation a bit cumbersome compared with the BMW  - where you could do everything via the I-drive but I'm sure I'll soon get used to it. Will post further details if and when they are available and relevant.  

• Like 4

Thanks to all for the useful replies. Now another question please. Does anybody know if there is an aftermarket upgrade kit that can be used to make the mirrors auto folding. The mirrors already fold by pressing the switch in the car so the basics are there and it cannot be rocket science to upgrade. I would like to do it myself but would be prepared to take it to my local Lexus main dealer if that is the only way to proceed. I saw something on the internet but it involved getting parts from China and the installation instructions were far from clear.  Again all comments gratefully received  

As you have found kits from China exist, but they are a little off putting. This has been asked a number of times and no-one has ever come up with a dealer option yet. No harm in asking.

• Like 1

I will ask, but if nobody else has got a dealer to do it then I shall ask with little hope of any positive result. As I said in my earlier post the mirrors already fold so the motors are there and it cannot be rocket science to  upgrade. I am perfectly  capable of designing the necessary circuitry myself. I just need a circuit diagram - presumably I can download  one off the internet.  It might be a nice little project for a week or two in the winter. 

• Like 1

Wow!  Getting a wiring diagram seems to be more difficult than I thought. Can anybody point me in the right direction. I am only interested in the circuit that drives the folding mirrors. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello jdp,

as a BMW owner you probably know the trick of holding down the lock button for a few seconds to close the electric windows and fold the mirrors, have you tried this on your Lexus ?

i tried it on mine and it works, although mine do fold with the key anyway, just a thought!

With automatic folding mirrors you do not need to hold the lock button on the remote down at all. Just lock with remote and the car locks and the mirror fold.

Also does that when touching the 2 recessed point or one of them on the handle if you have that in the car. Hand behind the handle unlock the car.

Yes I know, mine does exactly that, I was suggesting something that most VAG cars with (non remote) folding mirrors do and was suggesting something that could be tried. 
i.e. press and hold lock for about three secs folds the mirrors (and closes any electric windows that are open. Press and hold unlock for three secs opens all windows. Mirror always unlocks with doors.

On 10/20/2021 at 10:51 PM, Las Palmas said:

Yes, the CT is a great car. We are happy with the one we have.

Surprised me that Lexus in 2020 is making a car that does not have automatically folding mirrors. I thought that the newer the car the more items would become standard.

I would go to the nearest Lexus and ask if it really is like that.

congrats on the car. 

I've got a 2011 one and they fold atomically when you lock the car. there is a button on the right hand side of the steering wheel which is an auto folding button. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links