Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

This has been a constant problem over the years for me, and others.

Last incident was 2 days standing, and then nothing. I had intended to go to an auto electrician to see if there was a drain. He also said he could disconnect the tracker 'from behind the dashboard'.

In the end I went to Halfords and asked them to do a free Battery condition check. The young lady checked the cold cranking output at 660 and said it was about 380, and the machine recommended a Battery replacement. Can it be saved I said. No. OK because I bought it here 18 months ago and it has a 5 year guarantee. She replaced it on the spot. I fitted it at home (always a pig of a job on these) and put it on a trickle charge of 1 amp, as I had no idea how long it had been on the shelf. It took about 25 amps. The big test was to leave it for two weeks of no use. Then it started with gusto.

So, was it a duff Yuasa Battery, or a Battery damaged by lock down non-use, (although I did periodically charge it), or is there still a parasitic drain down. No idea, but to be monitored. I did wonder how many new batteries are faulty. 'In the old days' I had batteries that lasted 9 and 10 years. 

As I left, having returned the old Battery, the young lady said can I take some pictures of your 430 as my boyfriend wants one. She loved it, especially the inside. Said the moving steering wheel was 'so cool'.

• Like 1

My driving is always short local runs and my 430 never fails to start - even lately when we had sub zero temperatures in the morning.

My current Battery which came with the car when I bought the car is a non-brand (no markings) and I have not had any problems this being the second winter with this car.

On my previous LS430 I fitted an Exide Battery which came with 4 years warranty - I had no problems with that for the 2 odd years I had it.

You could possibly switch off the keyless entry function which could help.

Othrwise follows johns advice above.

My 2007 LS 600H (starting battery) also seems to drain especially if sat for a day or to and of course with the cold weather..It is National Panasonic so I presume original. but on web have found appropriate Battery replacement for £100 approx whereas a new Nan Pan is about £300 plus. any view or experience?

17 hours ago, Branddoctor said:

My 2007 LS 600H (starting battery) also seems to drain especially if sat for a day or to and of course with the cold weather..It is National Panasonic so I presume original. but on web have found appropriate battery replacement for £100 approx whereas a new Nan Pan is about £300 plus. any view or experience?

It's unlikely to be the original, but could be the one that replaced it.
I have heard of lead-acid batteries lasting 8-10 years but it's rare on modern vehicles.
At 14 years I would say chances are the 2nd Battery is starting to die and needs replacing.

Whatever you get, you need to compare the specs between the batteries. 
Some sites try to sell you lower rated or smaller batteries claiming that they are "compatible".
Match the spec of the Battery that you have in there and you should be good to go.
There is also a sensor that connects to your Battery and a vent tube.
The vent tube you can do away with if you fit an AGM Battery but I have no idea what the sensor is for and if it's needed or not.
The National Panasonic Battery is almost certainly the Lexus supplied Battery, hence the pricing.
Most of the non Nat-Pan ones I saw were about £140 for an AGM or around £100 for a vented lead-acid.

I found a thread on the clyblexus site..US, and there was much chat about sensor etc and need to refit otherwise lots of check hybrid etc warmings. sounds like may need recoding I surmise..

I plan to look at NP but also other AGM batteries. thanks

I would guess the sensor is to monitor the Battery temperature and adjust charging rate. That's what it is on the IS300h. The AGM Battery is also factory installed with a vent tube,

https://rvnerds.com/2017/11/01/electrical-myths-part-4-agm-batteries-dont-need-venting/

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links