Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

B&m Quickshift

Fever

Ok bought my B&M Quickshift from TDI on Saturday, fitted it in about 20 minutes....just wondered if any one here was getting a slight noise from their's....I'd liken the noise to hissing you get on an un-tuned radio station. It's only very slight, i'm guessing it's the wind as the car moves so the insulation might need checking, as Mark suggested....I just wondered if anyone came across the same thing??

Otherwise, I'm well chuffed....love the shorter sharper shift!!

Ta - Neil

From the inside, the mat is about 10mm, cut it around the quickshift circle mounting and used the filler. Can't remember what its called now, its pretty much the same as silicone for windscreens

Did a bit of the sealing from underneath, but don't think that made a difference

From the inside, the mat is about 10mm, cut it around the quickshift circle mounting and used the filler. Can't remember what its called now, its pretty much the same as silicone for windscreens

Did a bit of the sealing from underneath, but don't think that made a difference

Would you have a pic of what you did Whitie ?

franmac

Picking mine up from DHL in the morning (thanks Mark!)

figured out how the bit around the gear stick lifts up but how does the back bit come out near the ash tray etc - it feels stuck???

thanks in advance

I'll send Paul (Fargo) round....he's great at ripping your interior apart! :P :lol::lol:

Seriously, it should just lift out...might need a bit of extra encouragement, push it backwards and lift it up so it comes out of the catches! Also make sure that you remove the plugs for ciggy lighter, ash tray light, etc!

figured out how the bit around the gear stick lifts up but how does the back bit come out near the ash tray etc - it feels stuck???

There are plastic white clips right down in side, which can be seen when you take off the gear stick part. (lift the silver rim up)

Then from what I remember there is one or two screw in the small compartment in front of the rear ashtray. (there maybe one under the rear ash tray? can't remember)

There are also latches up near the radio. (on the part thats painted) I just gave these a good pull and they unclipped, they are shaped like a hook so be careful you don't break them.... I bet its this that feels like its stuck

When you put the quick shift in I found you have to push down quite hard. The rest is all documented.

Good luck!! :winky:

Thanks guys, going to have another go tomorrow, got to the point where you unlatch the white plastic bits from the sides of the metal shield but couldn't get them out and I haven't taken the console out yet - did you guys take everything out around the sides of the gear stick as well? It doesn't say how to remove all the plastic surround (at the point where it says it had ben removed to make it easier) and I can't get those white bits out (but I haven't got needle nose pliers which I think is chuffing it up!!!)

Any ideas please lads (sorry I'm a bit **** at this but getting there!)

I pulled the white plastic bits off by pulling them off with a thin screwdriver (underneath them) they're quite flexible and don't break.

You may be able to do it with out taking the console off, but I found it to cramped.

Take the screws out hiding under the bottom of the small compartment, and I think in the rear ashtray/cupholder?? :unsure:

Also I think theres two screws near the gearstick come to think of it.

Take the cover off the handbrake, and pull the console off (thats the tricky bit)

When you put the quick shift on give it a hard push down (making sure its angled towards you!) put the 4 mounting screws in, place the metal ring around the covering. (tip: I also put some tape around the ring as it kept vibrating)

Take her for a spin around the block and if it all feels ok put the console back together.

Health Warning: Give ya arm a good stretch before trying to find reverse :lol:

(your get used to it though!)

Cheers mate, sounds like I'm not being rough enough with it - I'd taken the screws out from the sides of th console (actually one was already missing) and from where the ash tray is but it wasn't budging - will give it a good hard go tomorrow - want to get it done so I can test it on the way to Manchester - and I'm working in a place with a nice big car park tomorrow so plenty of room :) How does the rest of the console stay in place then - is it just clips everywhere?! It seemed well secure so assumed I might break something?

Thanks again for the help guys, and I'll give that a go tomorrow Whitie!

Thanks again mate, that pics stopped working - getting an error now :huh:

Which way do you push to get the console unhooked - do you take the back end off first near the rear of the car? Just trying to figure out how you get the movement to unhook it as I could only move it left or right I think?? And how does the handbrake cover come off? I've had a quick search through the forums but there doesn't seem to be anything about this before- I'll have a crack tomorrow and hopefully it should make sense then!! I could get the dunce of the week award at this rate!!! Cheers fella!

Can't check to see if the pic's working now (Firewall at work)

Which way do you push to get the console unhooked

I lifted the back cup holder section up a bit and then pulled each of the sides off.

The only reason I took the console off is that I wanted to seal up the gaps that were left from taking off the old gearshift.

Add to clean all the food out put there by my other half! :angry:

how does the handbrake cover come off

That pulls straight up, I used a tiny screwedriver with tape around it to help start me off.

She's on now mate - thanks for the tips - it was the two screws under the back end of the console in the little box where the armrest goes - undid those and the console popped off!!

Just a shame I took a bit off the quickshift that I shouldn't of - that gold bit that holds the rubber on (thought it was to hold the thing in the paper but Matt C advised me what it was for!!!

Right then Neil, as for the noise, there's a little tiny bit more but nothing really noticable to be honest.. I haven't got any foam at all in there even though the instructions said something about the foam???? See what you all mean about the action - very sharp! I find it harder to get 5th and 6th in than reverse which is a bit of a bummer - do they loosen up at all???

Nice one!!

I thought my one was getting looser, but then I had a go in my mates IS. It just takes getting used to.

Feels really strange going back to the old gear change, you realise how slack it was.

About the noise, when you boys fitted these what did you do with the original rubber boot that fits into the plate? Mine wouldn't stretch over the new B&M quickshift boot so I just squashed it all down and screwed it on?!

It vibrates like a git sometimes in 6th as well - usually have to take it out and put it back in and it's happy as anything... Any ideas what would fix this or is that just the short shifter amplifying the movement in the box (which sometimes juddered in 6th with the old shifter)??

I haven't got any noise?

Is the gearstick angled towards you? and the metal plate fixed all the way down? I noticed that I could here the heat shielding for the exhaust a bit so thats when I put the rubber mat down to replace what was on the original gearstick. (also bent the heat shield a bit, but I think that wasn't it)

Zee had a go in mine yesterday and confirmed my shifter is a lot tougher than his so I might reseat it all.

Matt C mentioned putting some grease on it so I've just been and bought some Carlube Multi-purpose (LM No.2) grease - it says you can put it on wheel & pump bearings and use for other routine maintenance work - would that be okay? Did you guys put grease on the white plastic bit on your installs??

Thanks in advance.

Zee had a go in mine yesterday and confirmed my shifter is a lot tougher than his so I might reseat it all.

Matt C mentioned putting some grease on it so I've just been and bought some Carlube Multi-purpose (LM No.2) grease - it says you can put it on wheel & pump bearings and use for other routine maintenance work - would that be okay? Did you guys put grease on the white plastic bit on your installs??

Thanks in advance.

Yep, greased mine before fitting.

Can still hear a slight "gear whine" type noise occasionally which wasn't there before.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links