Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Low Oil Pressure

Hi,

I have a Rx400h 2007, been a great car it's at about 150,000 miles.  I was driving on the motorway the other day when oil pressure warning light kept pinging on and the car wasn't driving great (suddenly felt like a manual in the wrong gear).  I got off the motorway and checked oil and toped up to be safe.  Light went off and decided to get home NYE nothing open......  Light intermittently kept coming on and car switching between running fine for 5/10minutes to then not sounding great.  I got it to a garage and surprises surprise light goes off and car is running fine.  I asked them to do an oil and filter change which they did then they took it for a drive - on way back light come on again and car starts making a terrible sound.

What should I do next? It's still at the garage they have said the are going to look at the sub? It doesn't seem worth a costly repair....

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Rachellexus said:

What should I do next? It's still at the garage they have said the are going to look at the sub? It doesn't seem worth a costly repair....

It's not unusual for an RX400h to go to 200,000 miles and beyond, even 250,000, so the question you have to ask yourself is - if it was running well, would it do everything I need it to do? And, how much would I have to spend to get a different car of equal size/comfort/whatever?

I suppose at this stage, all you can do is to wait and see what they say is the problem and how much they reckon it'll cost to put right.

Sorry, I used to be a very indecisive person but I'm not so sure now :whistling:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rachellexus said:

Thanks Herbie, Not sure if I should try get it moved to a Lexus garage...  local garage seem to think its beyond repair.  

Give this guy a phone call. He has had some good press on here.

Bond Motor Sevices Ltd

50 High street

Kingswood

Bristol

BS15 4AJ

Tel: 01179 615958.

Owner is Garry Bond.

• Like 2

Had a somewhat similar situation some years ago on a 2.5 V6 Camry but not necessarily same cause.  Here is what happened.  Car had overheated due to one of the 2 head gaskets having failed causing cooling system to overflow.  Both gaskets replaced by local repairer and off I went onto Motorway to test.  Got about 8 miles and oil warning light came on.  Topped up with  oil although it was not low and light went out and was able to drive off Motorway for short distance before light flickered then came on again.  Oil was to high level.  Guy who replaced head gaskets retrieved car and dropped sump. Found excess heat had caused hardened oil residue  coating bottom of motor to flake off and sump strainer over pump to become almost totally blocked thereby stopping circulation of oil.  He took pictures showing strainer and being cleaned with pick and residue in sump.  Luckily the car was not driven far with the red warning light on and the strainer and sump having been well cleaned and flushed, the car ran perfectly again thereafter.  Car had done about 130K miles at the time.

• Like 2

When you get the quote for the repair, I would ask the garage to give the car a thorough inspection and tell you what shape the rest of it's in. Then you'll be in a more informed position to decide whether to proceed with it or not.

Personally if my car needed an engine repair or a transmission I don't think I'd even hesitate, lets say it needed a £3k repair, what the hell else am I going to buy for £3k that would be already exactly set up how I like it, well-maintained (by me), up to date on all maintenance etc. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links