Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Space Saver and Spare Tool Tray Installed

SH20

After a special order was made to purchase the space saver wheel tool tray, it arrived today. I used to carry my spare wheel in the boot (Photo) because of the large original tool tray/inflation kit arrangement and it was something I just accepted until the part number 64779-33280 was made available by another forum member who wanted his spare under the floor like the US and most of Europe have.   So it's done and gives me the solution I wanted since I took delivery of my first  first ES back  in 2019.

Perfect fit of course but at a hefty £278.15 incl vat.  I was quoted £231 but wasn't told it was plus vat.  No discount as it was a special order because it's not a UK spec part.  The dealer let me try it in the boot to make sure all was well and then I paid for it.  In 2022 my new ES cost £35,725  after all discounts and PCP allowances so the £278.15 I spent to get where I needed to be was an expensive option that somehow I justify to myself.  Plenty of storage space for stuff over and above the basic tools the tray was designed for originally.   You can see the huge difference in depth between  the two trays.  Now I have a more spacious boot.

P1130051.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Interesting that the link shows a Takumi model with an 18 inch alloy wheel in the wheel well.   The space saver wheel  I have is approx 4 inches across the tread pattern of the tyre and it touches the underside of the tool tray I have just fitted.    I did notice however that the pictures the Lexus dealer printed off of all the variations of tool trays there was one picture  of a tool tray surround with a large round  hole in the middle of it approx 15 inch in diameter  where a round bucket shaped polystyrene tool holder obviously fitted through the hole of the tray which then must occupy the inside of the Takumi full size alloy wheel.   Clever.

The tool tray graphics show the two types of tool trays that exist and a full size spare would need the two piece tray on the left compared to the tool tray on the right which I fitted for a space saver wheel.  A chassis number would drive the choice if ordering a Takumi tool tray in the US from a dealer.  You can see how the "bucket" which the actual tools would fit in would pass through the middle of the flat tray allowing the bucket to end up in the space of the upside down full sized alloy wheel sitting in the wheel well.

IMG_0061.jpg

• Like 2

SH20, may I be so bold as to ask a (nerdy) question? Dya think the extra weight of the wheel is enough to affect fuel efficiency?

I ask because (perhaps mistakenly) I thought Tesla deliberately designed out a spare wheel to minimise weight and maximise performance. I do at the same time realise that Tesla Battery weight is probably much greater than an ES.

Yeah, okay…..I’ll get my anorak.

PeteTP

The first photo in the thread Pete shows how I carried the space saver in my boot in my first ES for 2 years and my fuel figs were never below 50.4 mpg combined.   Maybe the weight of a space saver might affect mpg but to achieve 50 mpg for a car this size  is good in my book.   I guess there is an argument that a flat tyre is something that happens  and most drivers have experienced one but it is the exception rather than the rule. It's just that I hate the idea of using an inflation kit and then having to buy a £150 tyre  for a simple puncture that could be repaired after a space saver is used temporarily  to get you home or to the tyre shop.  That goo from the inflation kit is not something tyre shops will entertain removing to get to the puncture site.     

38 minutes ago, SH20 said:

The first photo in the thread Pete shows how I carried the space saver in my boot in my first ES for 2 years and my fuel figs were never below 50.4 mpg combined.   Maybe the weight of a space saver might affect mpg but to achieve 50 mpg for a car this size  is good in my book.   I guess there is an argument that a flat tyre is something that happens  and most drivers have experienced one but it is the exception rather than the rule. It's just that I hate the idea of using an inflation kit and then having to buy a £150 tyre  for a simple puncture that could be repaired after a space saver is used temporarily  to get you home or to the tyre shop.  That goo from the inflation kit is not something tyre shops will entertain removing to get to the puncture site.     

The tray and fitting looks excellent.

The tray was £278 incl vat.  The space saver wheel was £45 (used) on eBay (Lexus GS450h) and the securing fitting that holds the wheel still in the wheel well was £8 (used) on eBay which is a standard item on all Toyota and Lexus cars.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SH20 said:

The tray was £278 incl vat.  The space saver wheel was £45 (used) on ebay (Lexus GS450h) and the securing fitting that holds the wheel still in the wheel well was £8 (used) on ebay which is a standard item on all Toyota and Lexus cars.

Steve, is it imperative that the space saver is the same diameter as the alloy? Also what’s the proper name for the securing fitting?

Thnx.

PeteTP

Pete , all space savers need to be approx the same overall diameter but not imperative.   The 18 inch wheels on a ES Premium Edition need a space saver that gets near the overall diameter of the wheel and tyre.  That is why space savers look like the wheel itself has a smaller diameter but its the space saver tyre that has a deeper tyre wall section and so overall it gets near to the diameter of the wheel and tyre your car has. Bear in mind space savers are an emergency wheel restricted to a maximum speed of 50 mph but will have no impact on driving the car should you be thinking of gear ratios and/or wheels spinning at different speeds because they differ in overall diameter slightly.  My ES has 18 inch rims with an overall diameter incl the tyre of 26 inches.  My space saver is off a Lexus GS450h and is a genuine Lexus wheel with an overall diameter of 25 inches so the 1 inch difference will have no real effect while driving. 

Go to E Bay and type in Lexus spare wheel securing bolt. You will see the first offering at around £10, free delivery and would fit. The seller is IVparts .  You can type in Toyota spare wheel securing bolt and you will see similar stuff.  

PS  The photos of the rear LS460 winter mats are attached as are a couple of pics of the LS460 I had.   Fabulous car.  

Cheers

Steve  

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

SAM_0916.jpg

SAM_0917 (1).jpg

13 minutes ago, SH20 said:

Pete , all space savers need to be approx the same overall diameter but not imperative.   The 18 inch wheels on a ES Premium Edition need a space saver that gets near the overall diameter of the wheel and tyre.  That is why space savers look like the wheel itself has a smaller diameter but its the space saver tyre that has a deeper tyre wall section and so overall it gets near to the diameter of the wheel and tyre your car has. Bear in mind space savers are an emergency wheel restricted to a maximum speed of 50 mph but will have no impact on driving the car should you be thinking of gear ratios and/or wheels spinning at different speeds because they differ in overall diameter slightly.  My ES has 18 inch rims with an overall diameter incl the tyre of 26 inches.  My space saver is off a Lexus GS450h and is a genuine Lexus wheel with an overall diameter of 25 inches so the 1 inch difference will have no real effect while driving. 

Go to E Bay and type in Lexus spare wheel securing bolt. You will see the first offering at around £10, free delivery and would fit. The seller is IVparts .  You can type in Toyota spare wheel securing bolt and you will see similar stuff.  

PS  The photos of the rear LS460 winter mats are attached as are a couple of pics of the LS460 I had.   Fabulous car.  

Cheers

Steve  

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

SAM_0916.jpg

SAM_0917 (1).jpg

Steve, top class tutorial on the space saver. I’m on it. Just need to source a Lexus logo’s cover and I’m there.

Regarding the mats, I’d eBay searched and found LS carpet ones. Why? Because I’m a dippy eejit and forgot to include ‘winter’. So I’m on that as well.

Last but by no means least…that LS. Three words:

What

a

Stunner

Pete

Thanks Pete, the nylon wheel cover I used to cover the space saver when I carried it around in the boot is actually a small motor cycle wheel cover off eBay (again) and the Lexus logo was also sourced on eBay under a Lexus vinyl graphics/badge search. Very cheap and you get around 5 in a pack for a few pounds.  Type in LEXUS CAR SEAT / HEADREST DECALS - Vinyl Stickers - Graphics Logo badge X5.   The first seller  comes up as cheeky_chappie_decals  who I have used many times. Click on his visit shop link and you will be amazed at what you will see incl choice of colours.

• Like 1

Not at all Pete, I firmly believe that all car Forums exist  to assist or seek information by fellow enthusiasts.  I was equally active in the LS460 and GS450 forums as well as Jaguar and Bentley forums too.   I have learned so much from other contributors who strive to help with technical and non technical info.    I'm already thinking 2-3 years ahead and think that a Takumi ES300h (Used I might add to limit the years I would have  to pay £500 + road tax)  is a likely choice.   

23 hours ago, SH20 said:

It's just that I hate the idea of using an inflation kit and then having to buy a £150 tyre  for a simple puncture that could be repaired after a space saver is used temporarily  to get you home or to the tyre shop.  That goo from the inflation kit is not something tyre shops will entertain removing to get to the puncture site. 

After 16 or 17 years of running cars fuelled by LPG, the tank for which was always positioned in the spare wheel well with no spare carried, I can say that that has never been my experience. Maybe the Kwik-**its and other 'get them in and get them out' sort of places do that but I haven't yet found a good independent tyre place that refused to deal with a gunked tyre when it needed a puncture repair.

Two places I've used in the past charged an extra tenner for the time taken to clean it all up but that was it.

Morning Steve,

Please may I be a pedant and seek your opinion on this space-saver?

Given your previous clear guidance I think this will do the job. However the seller’s vehicle checker says it won’t. I think that’s because the space saver is for a GS and I put in my car as ES. So logically the seller would want to cover himself. But you know different. Would that be a correct assertion?

Sorry that I’m making a meal of this but don’t want to make a ‘Henry Halls’ by making a school boy error. Thanks in anticipation of your patience having not yet run out.

Cheers👍D9D0D6CC-CCBE-4E15-AA74-5E88668F70F0.thumb.png.27e398d094cbd9e2e7dea6d9dda576df.png

Pete

Hi Pete, yes you will be fine as the wheel is advertised for the  GS  range of Lexus models.  All GS models of this era have the 5 hole wheel space saver and I bought mine off eBay for a similar price. Bear in mind if you bought one retail from a Lexus dealer you would be talking £200 minimum.    So at £47 it's a bargain even though you have to pay postage.    The 80 on the sticker is 80 kph  equal to 50 mph maximum speed. Also check the pressure if you buy it as this needs to be around 60 psi  a lot more of course than your ES tyre pressures.

When I bought my second hand GS450h space saver I immediately fitted it on  one of the front hubs and also on one of the rear hubs to check for clearance and on both hubs the wheel spins freely, no obstructions.   Your existing wheel nuts fit as normal and the tightening torque is 82.5 lb/ft. Don't worry if you don't have a torque wrench, you'll have changed a wheel or two in the past so use the same leverage you would use by instinct like most people do.     Your wheel nuts have a convex or rounded dome face and the wheel has  corresponding concave or dished face holes and even though the space saver is a steel rim as opposed to your alloy wheels the wheel nuts fit both wheel types.  Hope this helps, looks like you are on your way.       

Top man Steve. Now we’re talking- ordering now.

Really appreciate your technical knowledge sharing and Lexus knowledge. 

Will keep you and any other interested observers updated as I get this wee project sorted.

Cheers,

Pete

• 9 months later...
On 1/19/2022 at 4:53 PM, SH20 said:

Hi Pete, yes you will be fine as the wheel is advertised for the  GS  range of Lexus models.  All GS models of this era have the 5 hole wheel space saver and I bought mine off EBay for a similar price. Bear in mind if you bought one retail from a Lexus dealer you would be talking £200 minimum.    So at £47 it's a bargain even though you have to pay postage.    The 80 on the sticker is 80 kph  equal to 50 mph maximum speed. Also check the pressure if you buy it as this needs to be around 60 psi  a lot more of course than your ES tyre pressures.

When I bought my second hand GS450h space saver I immediately fitted it on  one of the front hubs and also on one of the rear hubs to check for clearance and on both hubs the wheel spins freely, no obstructions.   Your existing wheel nuts fit as normal and the tightening torque is 82.5 lb/ft. Don't worry if you don't have a torque wrench, you'll have changed a wheel or two in the past so use the same leverage you would use by instinct like most people do.     Your wheel nuts have a convex or rounded dome face and the wheel has  corresponding concave or dished face holes and even though the space saver is a steel rim as opposed to your alloy wheels the wheel nuts fit both wheel types.  Hope this helps, looks like you are on your way.       

Hi all. GS space savers seem to be in short supply at the moment.  I've recently changed my NX 300h for a 69 plate ES with Premium pack so I'm looking for a similar solution. Any idea if a Camry spare wheel (2019 model) would fit? I also noticed that the Camry tool tray looks very similar (same bodyshell I presume other than the extra bracing) & as a UK standard spec might be available (and probably cheaper). Photo attached of the Camry tool tray.

Any help gratefully received

Camry boot kit.jpg

If it’s of any help I found my Lexus Service Department were most willing to help me when I did mine. They are a joint Toyota/Lexus location. They’re in Ipswich and Dave Morgan is the PoC if your dealership can’t oblige.

Hope that’s of help.

PeteTP

I bought SH20's (opening poster) spare wheel and tool tray from him as he sold his ES shortly after posting this thread. I don't know if this will be any help but at the time I saved a few links, this being one of them   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/312927857246?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338723872&toolid=20006&customid=yZWfLyoTAAAAGQpusaHwRt1Xjj0LAAAAAA  I never delved further into this option as like I say I bought SH20's set up.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links