Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Problem with key fob access

I am hoping someone here cal give me an understanding of what might be going on with my 2005 GS300.

I fitted a new Enduroline 069 75AH Battery in August 21 - recommended by a friend - and then a couple of weeks later moved house but in the meantime had been using the car regularly. 

After moving house the car stood for a week or more without being driven and when I went to use it againa I tried to unlock the car using the fob without any success, so I tried the spare fob, and again no success.Thinking it might be the fob Battery I changed it in both fobs - but still no success.

I used the key to unlock the car, and the alarm went off. The dash display had a message - no remote key found.

I closed the car and within a few minutes the alarm silenced and the car locked.

I left the car and used my wifes car and when I got home a couple of hours later I tried again. The first fob didn't work, but this time the second did. All was well for a short while until yesterday when, after having used the car a few times last week, I had exactly the same problems with neither fob unlocking the car until after numerous tries over the next 30 minutes, one of the fobs worked.

I used the car covering about 10 miles, and on my return parked the car, turned the engine off and locked the car. 2 hours later one of the fobs successfully opened and started the car again, but the second did not. 

This morning, one fob opens the car but the other doesn't.

Any suggestions to resolve this would be appreciated.

(I do have another problem with an intermittent 'Check VSC warning which started about the same time, but I'll deal with that seperately)

• Sad 1

Peter,

My experience with button cells is that they are sometimes flat even before you fit them. Have you checked they are giving over 3V? Easy to check before getting into more complicated investigations.

John

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Beat me to it John 😀

29 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Are you sure the replacement battery in the non working key is good?

32 minutes ago, OldTrout said:

Peter,

My experience with button cells is that they are sometimes flat even before you fit them. Have you checked they are giving over 3V? Easy to check before getting into more complicated investigations.

John

Thanks Guys.

Unfortunately the batteries were the first thing I checked - and they are both reading 3 volts.

45 minutes ago, Herbie said:

I'll almost guarantee that it's the 12V battery. Go and get it load tested and I'll bet there's a bad cell.

47 minutes ago, OldTrout said:

OK. What is the 12v battery reading?

J

Thanks guys.

It was brand new only 6 months ago - but I'll get it checked tomorrow.

(Someone else also suggested that the 'Check VSC' warning may be the Battery asit only comes up intermittently)

• Like 1

sounds like a bad earth or even as others have said it may be a duff 12v Battery toyta have a decent price for a Battery that fits as i recall a few years ago when i had a gs300 my Battery went bad and i experienced problems that you describe the storeman at lexus advised me to go to toyota and get one from them 185 from lexus 77 from toyota exact same Battery

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in feeding back.

It was the battery 👌

What threw me was that I had charged the Battery a few days before the fobs stopped working, but when I took it off to take it in for chacking it only had 2.5Volts in it ??????

A local workshop put it on their charger/conditioner for 24 hours and it had 12.8Volts when I re-installed it.

The fobs worked and the VSC warning both were resolved  and the Battery has held its charge for the last few days - so all I have to do is to get the new TPMS registration error resolved and we are back to norm.

Thanks for all your input.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links