Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hey everyone,

Just saw that one of my back boxes blew and had a considerable hole in it. Looking to get a new exhaust &leaning towards a stainless steel custom one. 

Saw that Tony Banks in Leeds is highly recommend but don't fancy a 4 hour roundtrip.

Anyone has recommendations for a good exhaust shop near Coventry? And any idea of costs? 

Fyi looking just for the final section, not a full exhaust.

PXL_20220226_083556803.jpg

3 minutes ago, Texas said:

Wow, that’s a beauty! Does it sound like a Sherman Tank now?

Soz can’t help with a supplier in your area, I’m in Bristol !👍

Sounds a bit throatier, but not bad. Was actually enjoying the sound until I noticed the blown box....now sitting at powerflow exhausts to get a quote. Other quotes I got over the phone were close to £400

Try these guys not to far….

they did a really nice job on mine…. (Not a full cat back)

Don’t worry about the ‘cherry bomb’  bit…they own the trade mark so it’s a big bit of their business.

http://www.cherrybomb.co.uk/epages/wduqaub4xva7.mobile/?ObjectPath=/Shops/wduqaub4xva7

There is a bit of a roar at 70ish but not too ridiculous.

• Like 2

Updating this in case it will be useful for others in the future.

Got quotes from multiple exhaust shops for a stainless steel back section 

• DK Tuning  Birmingham: starting at £699 for MIG welds, £899 for TIG welded
  • Tony Banks Leeds:  £429 TIG welded 
  • PowerFlow Tamworth: £750 - unsure of type of welding
  • Cherry Bomb Performance Exhausts Nuneaton: starting at £500+VAT - unsure of type of welding
  • MIJ Performance Walsall - £379 TIG welded

Although the top choice would have been Tony Banks don't feel like driving a 4 hours return trip so I'll have the exhaust built by MIJ Performance on Saturday. I'll post another update once the work has been completed

• Like 5

Update now that I got the exhaust sorted. Also pics at the end of the post - excuse the filthy car (perks of living in a village and driving on solely country lanes to work!). 

Tried taking a video of the sound but it's too windy and can only hear the wind. Will probably add a video at a later stage.

Firstly, to explain why I believe there is such a difference in the quites I received. Foolishly i thought cat back and back box delete/replacement are different but apparently they are quite different - especially in pricing. So the price I got from MIJ Performance was for backbox replacement, whilst on others it was for the whole catback exhaust I'm thinking. So I ended up with the backbox replacement myself. Not bothered really as it achieved what I was after - which was getting a longer lasting exhaust.

FYI the catback exhaust was replaced by the previous owner (also a forum member) with an eBay exhaust less than 4 years ago (had the car myself for almost 2 years).

Now to the actual work. I opted for the "mid-sport" option which is supposed to be quiet under normal driving and louder under acceleration. I'm finding it a bit loud and slightly droney up until 2500 rpm, but apparently will quiet down after a few hundred miles once some carbon will deposit on the new piping. Will have to wait and see. With the radio on the change in sound under normal driving is not really noticeable, but when accelerating you can hear it. 

I opted for slanted oval 3 inch tips to replicate the oem look.

Overall I'd say I'm happy with how it turned out, hoping the little drone I get now at 1500-2500 rpm will improve

Now to the pics, starting with a look at the hole in eBay exhaust.

PXL_20220305_091053734.jpg

PXL_20220305_125617624.jpg

PXL_20220305_121753795.jpg

PXL_20220305_121747731.jpg

PXL_20220305_121744491.jpg

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Update on this - ended up fitting DB killers this evening as the droning/loud humming noise under load at 1.5-2.5k revs was killing me. Sound is back to stock now, but happy to compromise so far. 

The DB killers were £15 for the pair and removed the end cap so it's not too restrictive. 

The DB Killers were my last resort, as went back to the shop but they weren't willing to make any changes unless I paid for them - the idea of a J-pipe or and X-pipe was discarded as they said it wouldn't have helped unless I went with a system that included the mid pipe as well. Not happy with the result of my second visit as the sound was supposed to be "non-intrusive" and "sound sportier under acceleration" but in reality it went absolutely quiet after 3k revs. 

Anyhow, the lesson learnt is to go for a proper exhaust rather than just backbox replacement...

51ADJK0F5vL._AC_.jpg

• Like 1

Blimey Bogdan I forgot all about this post. Glad you finally got the exhaust sorted and then curing the drone noise. Thanks for letting us all know.

16 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Blimey Bogdan I forgot all about this post. Glad you finally got the exhaust sorted and then curing the drone noise. Thanks for letting us all know.

Well, tried to give it as long as I could to see if the droning would be any better before I went back to the shop and posted an update. Not happy with the result overall, but at least the backboxes won't rust away now 🙂

On 2/26/2022 at 9:23 AM, zoricib said:

Hey everyone,

Just saw that one of my back boxes blew and had a considerable hole in it. Looking to get a new exhaust &leaning towards a stainless steel custom one. 

Saw that Tony Banks in Leeds is highly recommend but don't fancy a 4 hour roundtrip.

Anyone has recommendations for a good exhaust shop near Coventry? And any idea of costs? 

Fyi looking just for the final section, not a full exhaust.

PXL_20220226_083556803.jpg

Midnight Developments in Walsall.. Amazing service & skill. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/7/2022 at 2:53 PM, SeanR said:

Nothing worse than a droning exhaust.

Expecting mine go soon, 12 years old now.

The nearer the new one sounds like the old one, the better.

The eBay OEM alternatives don't last too long unfortunately, so it sounded like a good alternative at the time. Saw on eBay a "sport" exhaus but made of aluminum, so there shouldn't be any drone. Would be interesting to hear if anyone decides on getting it

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165529804627?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=08wd2d_LTpW&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=JHnUVjk9QPu&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=SMS

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links