Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS 430 2002. Car failed its MOT on wiper blades. They seemed OK to me with no streaks but I had some Michelin ones from ALDI.  Popped them on and all OK, except they are cheap and noisy. Got some Densos and the quality difference is amazing.

Problem is, no matter what I do, I can't fit them. They will not go on, even with either adaptor. Never had this problem before.

Gas anyone any ides. Is there a special technic as the wiper arms only lift up a tad.

Might try Bosch or is there a better make for fitting?

3 minutes ago, MLW said:

LS 430 2002. Car failed its MOT on wiper blades. They seemed OK to me with no streaks but I had some Michelin ones from ALDI.  Popped them on and all OK, except they are cheap and noisy. Got some Densos and the quality difference is amazing.

Problem is, no matter what I do, I can't fit them. They will not go on, even with either adaptor. Never had this problem before.

Gas anyone any ides. Is there a special technic as the wiper arms only lift up a tad.

Have you seen this Mike ?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MLW said:

I had new Bosch ones fitted last week with no issues , maybe call at Halfords or somewhere and have them fit them . 

paul 

I use the Bosch Aerotwin blades and like them.
On the drivers side, you do need to cut away part of the plastic cover that clips down after fitting the blade, but otherwise they fit well, work well, don't squeak, and don't streak so long as you keep them clean.

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

Have you seen this Mike ?

Very helpful I did it that way but no help. That is how ordinary cars are done. The Densos do not have a tab underneath, they have a locking clip on top. The problem is the drivers arm will not lift up enough. I tried to take the arm off the spline but is is fixed solid.

By the way always always have a thick bathroom towel doubled over from the start. Once, I let go of an arm and it hit the screen, not that hard. but very concentrated. The enegy caused it to crack, and a 3 foot running crack occurred!

Can you show a close up pic of the Denso's as we have no idea what they look like.
Most wipers have a clip of some kind that latches to prevent the blade from falling out of the wiper arm.
You just need to know where to push on the clip, and pull downwards at the same time.
They are essentially the same as most cars except that the drivers side has that 2nd arm.

Also, some wiper blades have 2 different U shaped plastic adapters to suit different size U pieces on the arms.
If you have the large size on the new blades, then they won't fit. Have a look in the box and see if the smaller U piece is there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigBoomer said:

On the drivers side, you do need to cut away part of the plastic cover that clips down after fitting the blade, but otherwise they fit well, work well, don't squeak, and don't streak so long as you keep them clean.

Euro Car Parts refunded the Denso ones and I bought Bosch AeroTwin blades. They have 4 adaptors and I can't get any to fit? None seem to take a U shaped wiper arm. All seem to be fit fit straight ones. What adaptor did you use. Never had this problem in 50 years of motoring. Maybe the cheaper regular Bosch ones will work?

5 hours ago, MLW said:

Euro Car Parts refunded the Denso ones and I bought Bosch AeroTwin blades. They have 4 adaptors and I can't get any to fit? None seem to take a U shaped wiper arm. All seem to be fit fit straight ones. What adaptor did you use. Never had this problem in 50 years of motoring. Maybe the cheaper regular Bosch ones will work?

Mine came with the small ones fitted and the large ones in a bag. I just fitted them and then had to cut out one side of the cover with some electronics side cutters.

You can just fit the adapters by themselves to the U on the wiper arm to find the correct adapter before you fit it into the wiper.

That is very useful, many thanks. I am a bit worried that I may have to cut an adaptor to fit. These are the most expensive blades so should just  fit easily.

Every other one in the last 50 years just 'slides on' given the U shaped wiper arm. I think I will go with bog standard Bosch ones tomorrow as they seem to be able to 'slide in'.

When I needed wiper blades for the 430 I went to my local Hedge End Lexus main dealer and they were about £35 ( going back about 5 yrs!) and they also fitted them for me and in the 12 yrs of ownership I only recall changing these the once so worth considering. PS with Club Membership you can get up to 15% off

• Like 1

I must say this is the first time I have changed them in 6 years. I have a theory that they hide below the bonnet line and the sun, so deteriorate less than other cars.

UPDATE

In the end I went for Bosch Super Plus Universal Wiper

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/bosch-super-plus-universal-wiper-blade-with-spoiler-sp24s-485772060

Total fitting time 4 minutes. One fitting adaptor..... slide in dead easy.

Bosch are OK, but, as ever, the Denso ones had real quality about them.

7 hours ago, MLW said:

I went from 30K to 90 K miles

that's amazing longevity 

I used to buy the Lexus wiper rubbers and they lasted years too BUT the last set just lasted a year and then I couldn't justify spending several X that cost of " ordinary " rubbers so started on the annual replacement with cheapies ........... that seemed to last as long as OEM, well, a year whatever

And that's now 22 years with Ls400 wiper rubbers 

Maybe the next set I'll revert to the Main Dealer / Toyota again :unsure: 

Malc

Wiper longevity really depends on how clean you keep your windscreen.
My car is parked under 2 trees so in spring/summer/autumn gets all kinds of stuff dropped on it and it often cannot be cleared with the wipers.
Also, if you have lots of dried on bug guts and then fire up the wipers it is going to damage them, and the same with ice.
When I was doing 20K+ miles per year I went through a set of blades about every year.
Now I'm at 5K per year they are lasting much longer.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 9:57 AM, BigBoomer said:

Yep, fitted a set of bosch aero blades from Halfords last week. I had trouble trying to get the drivers side to fit but noticed the old one had the locking clip cut away one side. Instead of cutting the edge off of the new one I removed and used the old clip. Nice and clear and quiet.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links