Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

6 Year Service - Spark Plugs

Just think yourself lucky you don't have a Volvo T5. New plugs at 2 year service despite  the mileage being 7K.

Resulting in a bill for £700. 

Needless to say the Volvo is going as 

Oops something went horribly wrong on that post. I was trying to say...

The Volvo is going as a trade in for a Civic type R GT...... Don't ask!

The only problem with the Volve was the main dealers.

Just now, GMB said:

Doh! Volvo.... not Volve! It could have been worse 😉

3 hours ago, GMB said:

I’m selling one if you are interested!!😀

On 5/17/2022 at 5:16 PM, Rob RCF said:

the service book states that the spark plugs (iridium type) should be replaced every 60,000 miles. There is no specified time interval.

That's kinda interesting, the ISF book says 60k/6y whichever comes first.  Odd they didn't put the same clause on the RCF book as it's kinda standard for Lexus/Toyota, maybe a misprint on the RCF book.

10 hours ago, ubersonic said:

That's kinda interesting, the ISF book says 60k/6y whichever comes first.  Odd they didn't put the same clause on the RCF book as it's kinda standard for Lexus/Toyota, maybe a misprint on the RCF book.

Yeah this is the crux of the issue to me. My service book explicitly says they need replacing every 60k miles. Why does the dealer disagree and say they need changing anyway? Feels a bit like I'm (or many of us, apparently) are being taken for a ride.

PXL_20220522_094054074.MP.jpg

3 hours ago, Rob RCF said:

Yeah this is the crux of the issue to me. My service book explicitly says they need replacing every 60k miles. Why does the dealer disagree and say they need changing anyway? Feels a bit like I'm (or many of us, apparently) are being taken for a ride.

PXL_20220522_094054074.MP.jpg

According to the RCF scheduled maintenance manual it may have something to do with the vehicles warranty /shrug.

To be honest id prob just let them do it purely because I wouldn't want to have to explain my rationale for not doing it to a prospective buyer done the line.

Screenshot_20220522-145126-981.png

1 hour ago, ubersonic said:

According to the RCF scheduled maintenance manual it may have something to do with the vehicles warranty /shrug.

To be honest id prob just let them do it purely because I wouldn't want to have to explain my rationale for not doing it to a prospective buyer done the line.

Screenshot_20220522-145126-981.png

Thanks for posting. This is the first actual written evidence I've seen suggesting that they should be done. How can I get my own copy of that scheduled maintenance manual?

3 hours ago, Rob RCF said:

Thanks for posting. This is the first actual written evidence I've seen suggesting that they should be done. How can I get my own copy of that scheduled maintenance manual?

This is the US one not the UK one as I couldn't find that, but pretty much the same, the servicing at X miles bits start halfway through.rcf_2015.pdf

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Well, got this done today. Did the full service in the end including spark plugs. Also asked them if they had time to do the trans fluid (drain and refill) which they did, with ATF WS fluid.

Now I've only taken the car for a quick drive, but initial impressions are the trans feels faster and more responsive. The thing that surprised me the most, was after having a bit of a play in manual mode I dropped the car back into normal and automatic and was cruising at 45 in 7th gear. I floored it, the car dropped straight to second, the tyres dug in and it just launched forward with a responsiveness that I totally wasn't expecting. It was awesome, and I thought "wow, is this how the trans should have been all along?". I slowed down and tried again, although of course now the gearbox was staying in a lower gear (5th instead of 7th) and when I floored it it did the usual one second delay while trying to remember how to downshift, etc. Ugh. Need to do a bit more driving really to see what's going on, but so far I'm intrigued. I had one jerky shift when downshifting to second in manual mode. It wasn't awful, it was like the car lurched forward, then hesitated, then accelerated again. But I've heard the trans can need a few days of driving to settle after a fluid change, also the ECU reset so may be relearning. We'll see.

Flew through the MOT, the only points of note are front pads and discs might need changing next year.

Air con seems much colder now. Not sure why, I can only see on the service invoice that they replaced the "element air refiner" (cabin filter).

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rob RCF said:

Well, got this done today. Did the full service in the end including spark plugs. Also asked them if they had time to do the trans fluid (drain and refill) which they did, with ATF WS fluid.

Now I've only taken the car for a quick drive, but initial impressions are the trans feels faster and more responsive. The thing that surprised me the most, was after having a bit of a play in manual mode I dropped the car back into normal and automatic and was cruising at 45 in 7th gear. I floored it, the car dropped straight to second, the tyres dug in and it just launched forward with a responsiveness that I totally wasn't expecting. It was awesome, and I thought "wow, is this how the trans should have been all along?". I slowed down and tried again, although of course now the gearbox was staying in a lower gear (5th instead of 7th) and when I floored it it did the usual one second delay while trying to remember how to downshift, etc. Ugh. Need to do a bit more driving really to see what's going on, but so far I'm intrigued. I had one jerky shift when downshifting to second in manual mode. It wasn't awful, it was like the car lurched forward, then hesitated, then accelerated again. But I've heard the trans can need a few days of driving to settle after a fluid change, also the ECU reset so may be relearning. We'll see.

Flew through the MOT, the only points of note are front pads and discs might need changing next year.

Air con seems much colder now. Not sure why, I can only see on the service invoice that they replaced the "element air refiner" (cabin filter).

Who did you use for the service?

Manual mode change from 1st to 2nd has always been 'odd' for me since first owning. Downshifting from 3rd to 2nd has also always been 'odd', had always just accepted it to that way haha!

Maybe I should get mine done, unless it was done without me knowing in previous services, would have to check documentation.

5 hours ago, hockeyedwards said:

Manual mode change from 1st to 2nd has always been 'odd' for me since first owning. Downshifting from 3rd to 2nd has also always been 'odd', had always just accepted it to that way haha!

Maybe I should get mine done, unless it was done without me knowing in previous services, would have to check documentation.

Next time it's in you could ask them to check the trans fluid level, apparently it can get low and the trans is apparently very sensitive to fluid level. The Car Care Nut on youtube (Toyota master diagnostic technician) recommends changing trans fluid every 60k miles or 6 years, regardless of whether it's a "sealed unit" with lifetime fluid.

• Thanks 1

On 6/23/2022 at 9:33 PM, hockeyedwards said:

I double checked the fluid spec and ordered some and I'll do it next week. I am at the 6 year mark but 50k miles, so thought sod it why not! 😄

You make it sound like you're going to do it yourself. Best of luck. Have you got access to a lift? You might need some other bits as well like the dipstick that screws into the drain hole.

6 minutes ago, Rob RCF said:

You make it sound like you're going to do it yourself. Best of luck. Have you got access to a lift? You might need some other bits as well like the dipstick that screws into the drain hole.

Yeahhhhh love a bit of DIY! 😛

Have a lift at the workshop 😄 will have to check for the dipstick you mention.

1 hour ago, hockeyedwards said:

Yeahhhhh love a bit of DIY! 😛

Have a lift at the workshop 😄 will have to check for the dipstick you mention.

Here's the procedure if you haven't seen it already. He recommends practicing it beforehand as the transmission has to be at a specific temperature and the window of time you have is pretty short.

https://youtu.be/eRxSu4-4ojo

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links