Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Installed Chinese CarPlay - and it works really well!

Hey Kurowi,

I tried the install myself - also the rotary knob....but have no controls from it.

Have the audio working fine, and Siri, and music and Nav.....but cannot figure out the issue.

The kit came with 3 x passthrough connectors for the radio, however only 2 fit. Im wondering did you also get three, or maybe I was sent the wrong cable. I also tried 2 variations of the switch setting, one with only 5, and the other 3,4,5. No joy.

On 9/27/2022 at 12:13 PM, wharfhouse said:

Yes, same with me - I found that a phone holder that slots into the CD opening works well and now use Google Maps on my mobile phone - it's perhaps a touch low but I can live with it - I have a Pixel 6 and can also use Google Assistant and tell it via voice where to navigate and also make phone calls, which of course then routes through the car Bluetooth system. If you also want to listen to music over Bluetooth from the phone then you can also have the Google Maps nav over the Bluetooth too and through the car speakers. It delivers a reasonable solution without taking the car apart...

what do you mean by maps via bluettoth? you mean the guiding voice that gives you directions in google maps playing through the car speakers, right?

On 12/10/2022 at 7:34 PM, feanor said:

Hey Kurowi,

I tried the install myself - also the rotary knob....but have no controls from it.

Have the audio working fine, and Siri, and music and Nav.....but cannot figure out the issue.

The kit came with 3 x passthrough connectors for the radio, however only 2 fit. Im wondering did you also get three, or maybe I was sent the wrong cable. I also tried 2 variations of the switch setting, one with only 5, and the other 3,4,5. No joy.

Never mind - I got it working 

• 4 weeks later...

I have this exact same unit in my 2017 IS 300h which works absolutely fine except the screen flickers every 10-15 seconds or so.

Ive been in touch with the manufacturer who have suggested some cables have been incorrectly connected - it was put in by the previous owner so I think I need to take it apart and have a gander.

One question I did have is that the colour and audio on mine are somewhat "off" - I was wondering if you changed any of the colour and/or equaliser settings on yours at all?

Im running the premium nav. Thanks!

On 12/10/2022 at 7:34 PM, feanor said:

Hey Kurowi,

Hi Feanor,

I just opened mine up this weekend gone to sort out the screen flickering issue - which I did. 

I noticed on my system the DIP switch is set to 1234 (on) and the rest off, even though the manual suggests it should just be number 5 on. 

If I followed the manufacturer instructions and just set switch 5 to on, none of the controls would work (premium nav with joystick). 

To their credit, the manufacturer is very easy to get hold of on WhatsApp. I got the unit from AliExpress. 

Where did you get your unit - might be worth reaching out for support?

EDIT: ignore the above, I saw you got it working! 

Hi Immotek.

Im seriously considering buying and installing the roadtop carplay to my system. Like you, I have the premium nav with the joystick. I have a few questions if thats ok.

1) Can you use carplay and listen to the dab radio in the oem system at the same time?

2) Hows the phone call quality from CarPlay?

3) how the joystick compatibility with the screen?

I had more questions but can't think right now.

Thanks...

3 hours ago, oldhan said:

Hi Immotek.

Im seriously considering buying and installing the roadtop carplay to my system. Like you, I have the premium nav with the joystick. I have a few questions if thats ok.

1) Can you use carplay and listen to the dab radio in the oem system at the same time?

2) Hows the phone call quality from CarPlay?

3) how the joystick compatibility with the screen?

I had more questions but can't think right now.

Thanks...

Hi Han,

In response:

1) Yes - just set the audio source to DAB either going back into the OEM system or via the steering wheel, I do this often when I dont have a podcast on. (you need to set it to AUX for the Carplay audio to come through - note the mic will still work, so you can use Siri/Google Assistant but you wont hear any response).

2) Everyone I have spoken to has commented on how good the call quality is from my side to them. Sometimes I get some interference with their audio but I still havent quite figured out if thats an issue with the phone signal or the car audio, its too intermittent for me to care.

3) I wont lie, the joystick is the worst part of it, it takes some getting used to but once you figure out the nuances its generally fine. My worst gripe is that around 10% of the time if you click the joystick (to select) it sometimes moves right and selects, infuriating when it cancels a phone call for example! What made life easier for me was figuring out that the home, up/down and menu buttons are also usable and save a lot of joystick manipulation.

Honest opinion is that this would be a 10/10 if it werent for the ****ty joystick controls - I think those with knob and/or touch would have a much better time. I would still rate it 9/10 though as it really does drag the whole system into the modern world and it works really well with a modern device. You also have a lot of scope for adjusting screen (colour, contrast, saturation) and audio settings (EQ, loudness, etc...) which is great.

Any questions please do feel free to ask!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, immotek said:

Hi Han,

In response:

1) Yes - just set the audio source to DAB either going back into the OEM system or via the steering wheel, I do this often when I dont have a podcast on. (you need to set it to AUX for the Carplay audio to come through - note the mic will still work, so you can use Siri/Google Assistant but you wont hear any response).

2) Everyone I have spoken to has commented on how good the call quality is from my side to them. Sometimes I get some interference with their audio but I still havent quite figured out if thats an issue with the phone signal or the car audio, its too intermittent for me to care.

3) I wont lie, the joystick is the worst part of it, it takes some getting used to but once you figure out the nuances its generally fine. My worst gripe is that around 10% of the time if you click the joystick (to select) it sometimes moves right and selects, infuriating when it cancels a phone call for example! What made life easier for me was figuring out that the home, up/down and menu buttons are also usable and save a lot of joystick manipulation.

Honest opinion is that this would be a 10/10 if it werent for the ****ty joystick controls - I think those with knob and/or touch would have a much better time. I would still rate it 9/10 though as it really does drag the whole system into the modern world and it works really well with a modern device. You also have a lot of scope for adjusting screen (colour, contrast, saturation) and audio settings (EQ, loudness, etc...) which is great.

Any questions please do feel free to ask!

Thank you for that.

• 11 months later...

Hello, I will need help.
I have an IS300h with the 10" screen with split screen.

I have two situations:

1. I connect #E Recovery can to #A (old car no split display)
= The OEM split screen works perfectly BUT the carplay is not controllable.
Test carried out with the toggle switch on: 2.4 AND 1.2.4

2. I connect #E Recovery can to #A (old car no split display) AND I connect #C (Can control) to #F Rocker controller which is connected to the remote touch. Result: the split screen no longer works and the operation of the remote touch is catastrophic but reacts on both systems.
Test carried out with the toggle switch on: 2.4 AND 1.2.4

Has anyone had this before?

On 1/16/2023 at 11:56 AM, immotek said:

Hi Feanor,

I just opened mine up this weekend gone to sort out the screen flickering issue - which I did. 

I noticed on my system the DIP switch is set to 1234 (on) and the rest off, even though the manual suggests it should just be number 5 on. 

If I followed the manufacturer instructions and just set switch 5 to on, none of the controls would work (premium nav with joystick). 

To their credit, the manufacturer is very easy to get hold of on WhatsApp. I got the unit from AliExpress. 

Where did you get your unit - might be worth reaching out for support?

EDIT: ignore the above, I saw you got it working! 

I am after a unit too, any chance you can PM me (or post here) what seller you purchased from? trying to use someone who fellow members here have used before 🙂

6 hours ago, immotek said:

Hey @corpjones, I use this one: Wireless CarPlay for Lexus NX RX IS ES GS RC CT LS LX LC UX – Road Top

Just make sure to select the correct navigation option based on your car (e.g trackpad, joystick etc..)

Here is a post I made which includes installation instructions: 

Thank you so much for all the info, taking all that apart scares me so will have to try and find someone reputable to do it for me

• 2 weeks later...

4 hours ago, jackdublin said:

Installed one recently and music played via AUX is terrible as compared to usual Bluetooth. Did anyone experience the same issue? Any idea if it is possible to play music via Bluetooth while being connected via Android Auto at the same time?

Which one did you go for? 

On 2/2/2024 at 3:10 AM, jackdublin said:

Installed one recently and music played via AUX is terrible as compared to usual Bluetooth. Did anyone experience the same issue? Any idea if it is possible to play music via Bluetooth while being connected via Android Auto at the same time?

I'd guess it is ground related, I remember I had a spare black wire, and until I connected it to ground audio wasnt good. 

After connection, it was perfect, I just wired it to the car's metal frame.....which should all be ground. Maybe have a look for a floating black wire

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/18/2024 at 7:48 PM, stevemanfa said:

Is anyone still using the road top until and if so is it worth me buying it or is there something better now.

Thanks 

I’ve got TopRoad box about 5 years ago and it lasted 2 years until failed (blank screen). Unfortunately, was already out of warranty.

Then I went for the cheapest 10.25” screen with CarPlay built in from Ali, no issues for now (1.5 years).

RoadTop box was booting up and connecting to my phone quicker and control knob was working. 10.25” screen one - to navigate in Android/AA/Carplay have to use touch screen (steering wheel audio control and radio panel work fine with all media players available for AA and CarPlay), however factory control knob and factory infotainment is still accessible and works fine (I believe there are more expensive versions with knob control/trackpad/touchpad support - I paid £320 including tax and shipping, RoadTop box was £250 that time).

Conclusion: with factory bigger screen I would go for RoadTop box, however need of research if they updated anything to make it working for years, not just under warranty. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links