Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all,

I've just signed up to this site and I am ready to buy my first classic car. I've decided on looking for a ls400. For me I want it to just drive around locally (whilst look cool of course). I want to keep it as stock as possible only mod I want to do is to have a exhaust cutout which I can open and close with a switch (for the V8 sounds)

The predicament I'm currently facing is which year to buy? 

Also I've seen LPG converted ones is this viable?

Milage I don't really care about as long as it runs smoothly and well maintained

Any ideas what would be the best suited option for me (and other noobs)

Thanks dudes/dudettes

This should help a bit
https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/83898-lexus-ls400-buying-guide/

As for what year to buy, it depends on what your criteria is. Some have the opinion that the last incarnation 97-2000 MK4 model is the best one to buy and probably true from a development point of view.
Based on how they look, I think the 94-97 is the best looking but other people will disagree.
Can't comment on LPG conversion but I'm sure members on here have LPG converted LS400's and will be able to give you more info.
An exhaust cutout which I can open and close with a switch (for the V8 sounds)................no comment😉 each one to his own I suppose.

These are the version and years of manufacture as far as I know but I stand to be corrected.
The UCF10 series 1 1989-1992 is commonly known as a Mk1
The UCF10 series 1a 1992-1994 is commonly known as a Mk2
The UCF20 series 2 1994-1997 is commonly known as a Mk3
The UCF20 series 2a 1997-2000 is commonly known as a Mk4

They are old cars now and finding a good LS400 isn't easy, rust is the biggest issue in my opinion and they can rust in different areas depending on the year/series it is.
I've had a 1995 mk3 and I now have a 1998 mk4, you can search my posts/topics to find out what issues I had to sort, work I have done and what to look out for when looking at a potential car based on my experience. Buying on condition sometimes means there are mechanical issues to sort, buying on mechanical condition sometimes means there is body/condition issues. Of course ideally you want a car that is in good condition, mechanically sound and has been maintained well, this will cost and in the current climate will probably costa lotta (if you can find one for sale)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about which model but focus more on the overall condition. All potential cars will be over 25 years old, so will be showing it in some areas, even if the mileage is low.

The buyer's guide referred to by Paul should give you plenty of pointers, but please ask if you need to know more.

Don't forget to check and make sure all the electrics work, there are a lot of them! Any malfunctions can be frustrating to sort out. Don't ask!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Razor61 said:

This should help a bit
https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/83898-lexus-ls400-buying-guide/

As for what year to buy, it depends on what your criteria is. Some have the opinion that the last incarnation 97-2000 MK4 model is the best one to buy and probably true from a development point of view.
Based on how they look, I think the 94-97 is the best looking but other people will disagree.
Can't comment on LPG conversion but I'm sure members on here have LPG converted LS400's and will be able to give you more info.
An exhaust cutout which I can open and close with a switch (for the V8 sounds)................no comment😉 each one to his own I suppose.

These are the version and years of manufacture as far as I know but I stand to be corrected.
The UCF10 series 1 1989-1992 is commonly known as a Mk1
The UCF10 series 1a 1992-1994 is commonly known as a Mk2
The UCF20 series 2 1994-1997 is commonly known as a Mk3
The UCF20 series 2a 1997-2000 is commonly known as a Mk4

They are old cars now and finding a good LS400 isn't easy, rust is the biggest issue in my opinion and they can rust in different areas depending on the year/series it is.
I've had a 1995 mk3 and I now have a 1998 mk4, you can search my posts/topics to find out what issues I had to sort, work I have done and what to look out for when looking at a potential car based on my experience. Buying on condition sometimes means there are mechanical issues to sort, buying on mechanical condition sometimes means there is body/condition issues. Of course ideally you want a car that is in good condition, mechanically sound and has been maintained well, this will cost and in the current climate will probably costa lotta (if you can find one for sale)

Wow so much great information! , will defo have a read through that link. 

I was thinking the same MK4 that's mechanically sound and the cosmetic stuff not too fussed about can be my little project over time.

I visited Dubai recently and was the first time I saw them, so surprised the amount of ls400s there even being 20+ year old , super common

IMG_20220609_193002.jpg

13 hours ago, Donthavealexusyet said:

I visited Dubai recently and was the first time I saw them, so surprised the amount of ls400s there even being 20+ year old , super common

Might be near the sea, but no salt on the roads, and from my experience of Dubai it only rains like mad about once every 20 years or so. 

13 hours ago, Donthavealexusyet said:

might be that's going to be the next source for me then.... .  a cast-off from some rich person or other that's wanting to upgrade to a new RR or summat :wink3:

Not sure i would want to increase the  V8  exhaust sound tho' .  from the present zero to something quite obscene 

Malc

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

@Donthavealexusyet any updates? Seems like from your profile you've bought one from 2000?

If so, congrats and welcome to a fairly exclusive club! According to howmanyleft , only about 1100 LS400s left in the UK in 2021, divided by 35,023,652 cars on the road = approx 0.003%. You've now joined 1% of the 1% 😉

9 hours ago, BlueWagon said:

only about 1100 LS400s left in the UK in 2021,

W>O>T  !!! .  that's a bit of a shocker to me for sure ...  I have ONE  ..  Chris also on here has TWO .....  Autotrader and Classic Cars have about 8 from time to time ........  that's nigh on 1%  :unsure:

Malc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links