Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

No abs or vsc on sc430...help!

Zahiedsc430

Hi 

So I have had my lexus sc430 for a few years now and it had the abs issue at beginning and someone disconnected the abs somehow and I am about to get the reluctor rings sorted now and want abs and vsc to work on my car. Any ideas what this person might have removed or changed?

I seem to recall he removed either a large fuse or relay and replaced it with a non working one but I cannot remember what...i have checked all abs/vsc fuses in the interior of the car as well as tested the relays in the large engine bay fuse box (green, blue and pink relay marked abs/vsc/trac) and they seem to be ok...the only fuses I can't check are the two clear ones abs 1 and and 2 (60 and 40 amp I believe) as they don't seem to be coming out.

So basically on my dash the abs, vsc on and off lights and handbrake lights have been on permanently. I used techstream to clear codes but two came back on....

Ay ideas from anyone??? Thank you in advance....

5 hours ago, steve2006 said:

What are the 2 remaining codes?

Do you have the wiring diagram?

The 40/60A fuses can be checked for voltage presence at the relays.

Hi Steve

Thank you for responding. The codes that came back on were handbrake light and check engine light (expect that one as I have lpg conversion on it) all these lights are constantly on...

I did the techstream reading and got these...i know a few of them are to do with changing the reluctor rings but if anyone else can share some insight that would be helpful...im not very mechanically minded so trying with limited knowledge and experience. 

IMG_20220607_202410.thumb.jpg.0b9f11fa22891a35671deacaee33d66a.jpg

IMG_20220607_202625.jpg

IMG_20220607_204408.jpg

Welcome to the group Zahied, the reason you were initially talking to yourself was that this sort of thing is clever stuff but now you have linked with Steve (clever fellow) you are in safe hands.

Easier questions, queries or comments will elicit much more response.

Good luck, Anthony

4 minutes ago, Lexiguy said:

Welcome to the group Zahied, the reason you were initially talking to yourself was that this sort of thing is clever stuff but now you have linked with Steve (clever fellow) you are in safe hands.

Easier questions, queries or comments will elicit much more response.

Good luck, Anthony

Talking to myself??! Sounds about right lol! Yes it was rather long winded but hopefully I can get some help sorted. I came from the sc430 lexus world forum but sadly no more! All forum help is greatly appreciated!

• Thanks 1

ABS faults TBH are a PITA.

Reluctor rings rust and even split open giving poor signals to the wheel sensors which being magnetic pick up road crap affecting their operation.

Replacing either is both labour intensive for the reluctor rings and seized in sensors.

Can you access live data on your Techstream ?

Reading the fault code list and the first post detail, I suspect something related to the ABS was disconnected or disabled. If correct, that sounds like a very temporary measure to disable the ABS as a 'get you home' type fix. A trip to Lexus / finding a friendly knowledgeable SC430 near neighbour / professional with access to parts to swap and check components would be my advice.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Neil E said:

Reading the fault code list and the first post detail, I suspect something related to the ABS was disconnected or disabled. If correct, that sounds like a very temporary measure to disable the ABS as a 'get you home' type fix. A trip to Lexus / finding a friendly knowledgeable SC430 near neighbour / professional with access to parts to swap and check components would be my advice.  

What components would you swap though to check?...u know how clueless I am at cars Neil lol 

Don't know how to proceed...do I do the reluctor rings first and then try and find the disconnection after or check that first? 

2 hours ago, steve2006 said:

ABS faults TBH are a PITA.

Reluctor rings rust and even split open giving poor signals to the wheel sensors which being magnetic pick up road crap affecting their operation.

Replacing either is both labour intensive for the reluctor rings and seized in sensors.

Can you access live data on your Techstream ?

Thanks for responding mate...not sure about the techstream live data...I'm a bit clueless ...wish o was near to someone who would be able to check it for me l...may have to bite the bullet and visit the main dealer 😞

5 minutes ago, Zahiedsc430 said:

What components would you swap though to check?...u know how clueless I am at cars Neil lol 

Don't know how to proceed...do I do the reluctor rings first and then try and find the disconnection after or check that first? 

It needs to be addressed by someone competent. Why not ask the garage lined up to do the rear reluctor rings if they can help with the fault codes or if not they may know a local expert cheaper than the Lexus dealers? If you were in the South I could recommend someone. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neil E said:

It needs to be addressed by someone competent. Why not ask the garage lined up to do the rear reluctor rings if they can help with the fault codes or if not they may know a local expert cheaper than the Lexus dealers? If you were in the South I could recommend someone. 

Sadly Birmingham is full of rubbish mechanics...I will try and find someone who can help really....

20 hours ago, Zahiedsc430 said:

Sadly Birmingham is full of rubbish mechanics...I will try and find someone who can help really....

This may seem odd but other than my beloved sc430, I have a Rav 4 you would be surprised at the similarity in parts, I had these same lights came on and it turned out to be the switch under the brake pedal found out by a local mechanic with a diagnostic tool cannot guarantee this,  switch £35 labour 15 mins to replace,

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Localhero said:

This may seem odd but other than my beloved sc430, I have a Rav 4 you would be surprised at the similarity in parts, I had these same lights came on and it turned out to be the switch under the brake pedal found out by a local mechanic with a diagnostic tool cannot guarantee this,  switch £35 labour 15 mins to replace,

Cheers pal worth a look...the problem is finding competent mechanics around where I live ..they all bloody cowboys round here sadly! Iv had issues where tyre fitters have fitted the tyres the wrong direction...inside out...forgot to reconnect stuff etc...wild west out here! 🤣

Hi Zahied 

Are you going to the SC430 meet on Sunday 10th July at Birkswell, Coventry?

If you do, you will see many enthusiasts and may get answers to many of your questions.

It's good to put faces to names too!

Anthony

8 minutes ago, Lexiguy said:

Hi Zahied 

If you do, you will see many enthusiasts and may get answers to many of your questions.

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

Not heard about it...sounds great! Would you mind sending me the details please? 

Cheers, 

Zahied

Hi Zaheid

Apparently it is on a Facebook site for SC430's but I do not use that.

It is Sunday 9th July

At: The Bear Inn, Spencer's Lane, Berkswell, Coventry, CV7 7BB.

I believe the organiser is  guy called Juan, but apart from that, I know no more.

Regards, Anthony 

15 hours ago, Zahiedsc430 said:

Hi Anthony,

Not heard about it...sounds great! Would you mind sending me the details please? 

Cheers, 

Zahied

If you do Facebook

Join LEXUS SC430 CLUB UK

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Russ59 said:

If you do Facebook

Join LEXUS SC430 CLUB UK

Cheers both of you ..will try and make it...but honestly I'm embarrassed by the condition of my sc now...next to all those nicely done up and mint looking sc430's 🤣

I'll get my car sorted eventually...love this car! 

On 6/17/2022 at 8:27 AM, Lexiguy said:

Hi Zahied 

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

Cheers, 

Zahied

53 minutes ago, Zahiedsc430 said:

Cheers both of you ..will try and make it...but honestly I'm embarrassed by the condition of my sc now...next to all those nicely done up and mint looking sc430's 🤣

I'll get my car sorted eventually...love this car! 

Hi Anthony,

Cheers, 

Zahied

If it's roadworthy, clean it up as best you can and join in. I'm hoping to attend. There will be some lovely low mileage, rarely driven, garage queens on display I'm sure but no doubt some will have a few battle scars too. My car does having done almost 160k, it's a lot of fun but far from pristine and that's before driving 150 miles to get there. 🤣

Just now, Neil E said:

If it's roadworthy, clean it up as best you can and join in. I'm hoping to attend. There will be some lovely low mileage, rarely driven, garage queens on display I'm sure but no doubt some will have a few battle scars too. My car does having done almost 160k, it's a lot of fun but far from pristine and that's before driving 150 miles to get there. 🤣

Wow...if Neil is gonna do a 300 mile roundtrip to turn up then I'll definitely do the 40 mile roundtrip 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neil E said:

300 miles is expensive on fuel but always a pleasure in the SC.👍

Hehehe...your sc maybe lol mine...not quite so much lol motorway 60mph steering wobble, no abs or vsc, grimy cream interior, bashed and rusted side panel rear, buckled/dented alloys...clinking sound when braking...can't think of ANYTHING ELSE off the top of my head! 🤣🤣😭

1 hour ago, Zahiedsc430 said:

Hehehe...your sc maybe lol mine...not quite so much lol motorway 60mph steering wobble, no abs or vsc, grimy cream interior, bashed and rusted side panel rear, buckled/dented alloys...clinking sound when braking...can't think of ANYTHING ELSE off the top of my head! 🤣🤣😭

Neil is being modest...as usual! He has the fastest SC out (11) there!

Mine isn't a garage queen either, it's my daily driver and I enjoy it every day! 

Don't worry about the imperfections because you will get lots of advise if you want it, and next year we can see the progress!

I will be there with Lexiguy Junior and possibly the wife too! It is a 250 mile round trip for me but a 'can't miss' opportunity to meet friend old and new!

Hope to see you there, Ant

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links