Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New NX450h Silly questions!

Hi all, apologies for what may seem silly questions, but just picked up a new 450h and have a few queries I can't seem to find information in the manual etc on.

Sound tuning - Is there any way to adjust  balance/fader/bass/treble etc?
My only option seems to be surround sound on or off

Puddle lights - are there any?
Previous car was a Toyota CHR. Whenever you'd walk near it the interior lights come on and puddle lights lit up.
A drive me, drive me plea!   NX doesn't seem to do anything when approaching

Another one I forgot to add - Charging the damn thing.

I haven't found any public chargers with the Type 2 connector to plug straight in. Aside from PodPoint in Tesco, that's the only one, slow charging.

Do I need an adaptor or something to use the CCS Type 1 connector? Or am I limited to slow AC charging only?

I am going to try to talk to the dealer today, but figure I might get more sense in here 🙂

Hi Jay,

You should have puddle lights under the door mirrors and you can adjust the sound but everything seems to need setting up from the screen, you just need time to go through the options by pressing the icons on the right of the screen. 

Maximum charging speed is 7.7kw and some chargers are incompatible.

Good luck! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JayWales said:

I haven't found any public chargers with the Type 2 connector to plug straight in. Aside from PodPoint in Tesco, that's the only one, slow charging.

Do I need an adaptor or something to use the CCS Type 1 connector? Or am I limited to slow AC charging only?

I am going to try to talk to the dealer today, but figure I might get more sense in here 🙂

P.S.

Have a look at your hand book, generally I find the software a bit complicated and unreliable, but gradually it becomes more familiar. 

Thanks, there doesn't seem to be any sound adjustment available other than surround sound off or on.

Will keep digging or talk to dealer tomorrow maybe.

Shame on the charger, but will just have to find some locally that work! 🙂

You can adjust each Source by clicking on the Note symbol and then Sources and then for a particular Source set the position, Bass Middle, Treble etc

If you click on the gear (settings) symbol you can select Sound and then Levels to set the speed dependent volume on/off

5 minutes ago, dts439 said:

You can adjust each Source by clicking on the Note symbol and then Sources and then for a particular Source set the position, Bass Middle, Treble etc

Page 96 of the Multimedia handbook 👍

@JayWales  Can be downloaded from here

https://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/about-my-lexus/manuals

7 hours ago, JayWales said:

Usually you will need to use the cable that came with your vehicle but, as you have found, there are the odd chargers about that have a tethered cable that you can plug straight in. 

You have probably worked this out but there are 3 terms used for chargers, Rapid, Fast and Slow. Most Rapid chargers are DC and the 450h cannot accept DC so we are limited to Fast (usually from a EV charge point, either installed at home or when you are out and about) or Slow (basically when charging over a domestic circuit). I don't know when you would ever use a Type 1 connector; Type 2 is the European standard.

Zap Map explains the myriad of options available. https://www.zap-map.com/charge-points/connectors-speeds/

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JayWales said:

Or am I limited to slow AC charging only?

Yes, you are limited to AC 'destination' chargers. e.g. ones installed at home, hotels or your place of work etc. rather than rapid chargers. As you have found out, Tesco also provide some AC chargers but they aren't that useful for full EV owners as you aren't there long enough to make a significant difference to your charge level so I don't expect to see the amount of these to increase in huge numbers.

Given the Battery is quite small, and you have a petrol engine to fall back on, there isn't really a need for rapid charging which is why Lexus avoids the expense of providing that functionality. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Yes, you are limited to AC 'destination' chargers. e.g. ones installed at home, hotels or your place of work etc. rather than rapid chargers. As you have found out, Tesco also provide some AC chargers but they aren't that useful for full EV owners as you aren't there long enough to make a significant difference to your charge level so I don't expect to see the amount of these to increase in huge numbers.

Given the battery is quite small, and you have a petrol engine to fall back on, there isn't really a need for rapid charging which is why Lexus avoids the expense of providing that functionality. 

I don't share your view Colin on rapid chargers. Maybe the theory is sound but some places (eg Highlands) have a 45 minute time limit on their chargers before imposing a penalty cost. I reckon that is only enough for 10-15 miles and not enough time to have a meal, go to the gym, see a show etc. Rapid charging would help to provide a full Battery.

Supposedly the reason is to keep the chargers free for full Battery electric vehicles because we have an engine. Seems some authorities don't get that we want to be green, ie operate as much as possible on electric. Of course the solution is simple, install more chargers so everyone can use them but they seem to have overlooked this too.

Thank you all.

I'm now a lot clearer on the charger situation. First plug in, so was unaware of the myriad of connectors & types.
Slow AC it is only then, which is a shame, but it does self charge to some degree.  Engine sounds rough as when Battery is depleted though.

Enjoying it so far, though I seem to be too tall for the car at 6' my head is on the headlining and seat doesn't go any lower! 🙂

On 6/14/2022 at 7:05 PM, Harrier Man said:

I don't share your view Colin on rapid chargers.

Not my view, just my opinion on Lexus' view. Otherwise they would have spent the money on R&D and made the vehicle more expensive by included the capability of rapid charging on the NX 450h+.

10 minutes ago, Al D-Much said:

Quick question

If you have a hybrid plug-in vehicle, what happens if you don't AC charge the battery?

Will the battery still get charged up by the ICE, or do you end up with just a very heavy inefficient petrol truck?

If u don’t charge the Battery will drop to around 30% and the car will operate as a normal hybrid. ie it will harvest power when it can and use it as necessary but not going below the 30% level. 
There is also an option to manually set the Car in charge mode and the ICE will drive the car and recharge the Battery.

Charging the Battery via the ICE gave me about 6 miles of charge after approx 13 miles covered however fuel consumption was high and the car was unusually noisy. Indeed it felt a different vehicle altogether.

34 minutes ago, Ken R said:

Charging the battery via the ICE gave me about 6 miles of charge after approx 13 miles covered however fuel consumption was high and the car was unusually noisy. Indeed it felt a different vehicle altogether.

Interesting figures Ken. Can you add any more detail to work out if the extra noise is worth the 6 miles of charge for the increased fuel consumption? If not, what's your subjective feeling?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links