Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Service an MOT time

I can't believe it's a year since last MOT and service.

It's in today so fingers crossed on the MOT.. I had the big 60,000 mile service done last year at around 56,000 miles so only a minor one this time.

I requested an NX as a curtesy car so I can see what the new dashboard on the new RX will be like.. impressed.. I like the changes... just have to decide if the new interior is worth them dropping the V6 before I choose my retirement present.

I like the HUD, the suround camera and the Mark Levison sound system on the NX curtesy car.

20220620_092453.thumb.jpg.1bca444470772f9a6ba8925eb68d413c.jpg20220620_092505.thumb.jpg.df20c85f9a68523a6a3c11fa74a0bf01.jpg20220620_092158.thumb.jpg.b125eedf31312e16ed7fc4f63b830f34.jpg

• Like 6

Good news on a straightforward MoT pass.

Interesting to hear your views about the NX. I'm curious as to whether I'll get one when my next visit is due. Could (very) eventually be a replacement for my RX?

I've got the big 60k mile service to look forward to, with the amount I'll be spending it should be an LC......

9 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Good news on a straightforward MoT pass.

Interesting to hear your views about the NX. I'm curious as to whether I'll get one when my next visit is due. Could (very) eventually be a replacement for my RX?

I've got the big 60k mile service to look forward to, with the amount I'll be spending it should be an LC......

If you can do without the bigger size of the RX and the smoothness of the V6 then the NX seemed a great car, but if affordable then the full spec of the one I had for the day.

The new dashboard with the big 14 inch screen is a vast improvement. 

If you think you would miss the power of the RX450h and have somewhere to plug in then consider the NX450h+ which just about matches the output of the RX but in a smaller body.

If you want to try one ask specifically for one as a curtesy car while yours is in for a service.. my dealer were very obliging with thar request.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just got a new toy.

Today is my official retirement at 58 year old.

A few months I forgot to lock my RX overnight and someone helped themselves to the cheap ODB2 reader I kept in the door pocket.

So for my retirement the company I worked for asked me what I wanted as a retirement present and I selected a Topdon ArtiDiag800.

Just got on charge at the moment and have updated all the software on it then will link it to the RX and have a play.20220630_151305.thumb.jpg.65ceee48ad73d8cb8b53ce9a3caccda1.jpg

• Like 2

Congratulations Keith!

On your early retirement (Honestly - retirement IS great!)

And on acquiring a Topdon ArtiDiag800 

I look forward to your feedback on the Topdon (and on your retirement - but I won't pry!!!)

Enjoy!     (both)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/2/2022 at 1:24 AM, Illogan said:

Congratulations Keith!

On your early retirement (Honestly - retirement IS great!)

And on acquiring a Topdon ArtiDiag800 

I look forward to your feedback on the Topdon (and on your retirement - but I won't pry!!!)

Enjoy!     (both)

As an update..  I like the Topdon, if is very clear to read and does a lot more than I would need.

As for the retirement.. you are right.. I much preferred working from home than the office anyway as got more done without being disturbed a the time.. and currently sat in the huge business lounge in Doha Airport on the way to a 2 week holiday to the Philippines as a retirement present to myself.. could get used to this.

• Like 2

On 6/20/2022 at 11:55 AM, flookyk said:

I can't believe it's a year since last MOT and service.

It's in today so fingers crossed on the MOT.. I had the big 60,000 mile service done last year at around 56,000 miles so only a minor one this time.

I requested an NX as a curtesy car so I can see what the new dashboard on the new RX will be like.. impressed.. I like the changes... just have to decide if the new interior is worth them dropping the V6 before I choose my retirement present.

I like the HUD, the suround camera and the Mark Levison sound system on the NX curtesy car.

20220620_092453.thumb.jpg.1bca444470772f9a6ba8925eb68d413c.jpg20220620_092505.thumb.jpg.df20c85f9a68523a6a3c11fa74a0bf01.jpg20220620_092158.thumb.jpg.b125eedf31312e16ed7fc4f63b830f34.jpg

How did you manage to get a courtesy car at all? And how did they allow you to choose a certain model? Every time I asked one there was nothing available in the next 2-3 weeks. And I didn’t even have a specific need, just a regular car with 4 wheels and tyres. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, No Comment said:

How did you manage to get a courtesy car at all? And how did they allow you to choose a certain model? Every time I asked one there was nothing available in the next 2-3 weeks. And I didn’t even have a specific need, just a regular car with 4 wheels and tyres. 

I strongly suspect that the availability of a courtesy vehicle is down to the Dealership manager. I'm always offered a vehicle for the day. (I book my service and MOT a month in advance - enabling the team to plan the availability). 

I have my car serviced at Lexus Sheffield (thanks guys) and am as happy as a sandboy ...... (Strongly suspect that phrase dates me!)

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Illogan said:

I strongly suspect that the availability of a courtesy vehicle is down to the Dealership manager. I'm always offered a vehicle for the day. (I book my service and MOT a month in advance - enabling the team to plan the availability). 

I have my car serviced at Lexus Sheffield (thanks guys) and am as happy as a sandboy ...... (Strongly suspect that phrase dates me!)

Did you spot Halley`s Comet......the first time, Dave ? 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, No Comment said:

No issues from Lexus Stockport either regarding courtesy cars for my last 2 services, and the fuel pump recall. I didn't get to choose the courtesy cars (but then again, I didn't ask), but I was more than happy to use one CT and two UXs on those occasions. Was interesting to drive them, and get a basic understanding what the cars are like.

On 9/7/2022 at 7:46 AM, No Comment said:

This is from Lexus Teesside where the car was bought from and originally supplied by to the owner before me and always serviced there.

I had mentioned either looking at the new RX or new NX or last oc the current RX but wanted to see what ghe new dashboard would be like on the new RX so they arranged a new NX as a curtesy car for the day so I could see and live with for a day...and booked 2 weeks in advance of the service/MOT.

Lexus Teesside have always been like this since my first RX 5 year ago even after being taken over by Stratstone from the original independent RMB Autos.. and there is also their Toyota Dealer next door.

• Like 1

I've never had an issue obtaining a courtesy car from Ipswich (Steven Eagell), and I didn't buy my RX from them. So far I've had an NX, Yaris with just 50 miles on the clock in the height of Covid and an electric UX last year when the fuel shortages were on.

I book well in advance so I can get something in the diary on a day that suits work.

Mine is going in this week for the 60,000-miles service, so an expensive exercise with the spark plugs being changed, plus MoT. For the first time they've sent me some online check-in thing. I've requested that I get to see the old plugs, I'm interested as to what they look like after almost exactly 60k and eight years.

When requesting the courtesy car I mentioned that I'm interested in the new NX, specifically the 450h. I have no plans to change my RX for a few years yet, but one of those could be an eventual replacement.

I'll report back as to how this goes.

• Like 2

Expensive 60k service done, plus MoT passed with just an advisory on the rear plate deteriorating.

This is what a selection of the old plugs looked like:

IMG_2653.thumb.JPG.0f1ca45b17614f32edf34ee12a6c9138.JPG

IMG_2655.thumb.JPG.342ccce186fede68e3e746f0c8d9e8af.JPG

It'll be interesting to see if the economy improves, but performance-wise it feels just as it did before.

I was given an NX450h+ for the day, as I'd expressed interest in trying one. I imagine it was one of their demonstrators rather than off the courtesy car fleet.

IMG_2650edit.thumb.jpg.ee7ac92729dea5c989a5091a4c0d2a1b.jpg

An interesting experience. It could be the right car for me in a few years' time, and it drove very nicely on electric power only for the first 30-40 miles, but I found some of the tech a bit overwhelming and I certainly wasn't unhappy to get back into my RX at the end of the day.

Thanks Nigel (I've seen plugs in much worse condition than that before now)  

And I have a theory that as we age, the volume of 'new technology' seems to rise exponentially.  I still spend the first few moments looking for the starting handle on my car (!)

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links