Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1992 LS400 Lexus Refresher build. Down Under Australia

22 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Won't those big wheels change the drive train and you'll feel every small bump on the road.   My Car has 16" (standard size of '93) and see proper Lexus wheels if you look at my avatar.  Came off a different model Car but I like them. Easy maintenance and the only things that get a regular wash.

Horses for courses my friend, all depends on what you're looking for in a drive car.

All good and well having a town car with either 15" or 16" rims and tyres, but if the suspension is shyte, then everything about the way the car delivers its ride is wrong.

Having larger diameter wheels can be a God Sent if you know how to set up suspension. Any fool can throw on a set of larger rims and cross there fingers. Anything over 18" and you start sacrificing the genius of the design in the car. A 30 year old vehicle luxury vehicle unless specifically set up will naturally handle like an Airport Trolley if you do not what what you are doing. Fortunately I have a back ground in both tyres and suspension among my many hats.

Your basic 205/65R15 for example has a rolling circumference of around 792mm.

Changing up to a 215/60R16; 235/45R17; 245/40R18 or 245/35R19 (all LS400 Sizes btw) are all within 10mm of the original rolling circumference and does not effect the speedo or mileage.

As previously mentioned, changing the rim size however must be accompanied by suspension modifications which I have addressed by removing the original tired 30 year old shockies and springs and fitted gas strut coil overs, which I can raise or lower to my advantage to make the best use of the weight, handling, and design of the car without effect weight bias and lowering the centre of gravity for better cornering ability. Both the front and rear of these cars are 'fully' adjustable (camber, castor, toe) unlike most modern cars which are 'toe and go' adjustable only.

Carry on 😉

Impressive work. Agree that 16" wheels do not look big on such a big car, and maybe I think that 19" is too Japanese / Mexican for a luxury limousine. Front tyres not touching when turning on rough roads? Such roads exist where you live?

image.thumb.png.f1b02aa302c77078a3ac4cc6b2067b1a.png

17 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

Impressive work. Agree that 16" wheels do not look big on such a big car, and maybe I think that 19" is too Japanese / Mexican for a luxury limousine. Front tyres not touching when turning on rough roads? Such roads exist where you live?

image.thumb.png.f1b02aa302c77078a3ac4cc6b2067b1a.png

Unable to accurately respond to this just yet my friend. Car is up in the air and shall remain that way for a while yet. We have roads which are 7.5 / 10, the freeways are brilliant, and country twisties are especially good for motorcycle riding. I know inthe UK and alike cobblestone roads are common place. Our roads are fabulous. 

Here is one of our inner country roads. Speed limit 80 km/h on the east side of the freeway, 110 km/h on the other.

Its 15 kms from where I live.

thomas-road-upgrades-perth.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well, first colour is almost done. Went with the 4K9 for the top half. 8 litres of paint and 4 litres of clear on here so far. Picking up another 2 litres for the front bumper (over in the lhc) on Friday arvo for this weekend.

Coming along nicely gents 😉

4th dec clear 1.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the paint last weekend, bolted everything on to it to get a feeeeel. Waiting for the clear to harden up and then get into some polishing me thinks. Put a shadow colour round the bumper and lower doors. Mixed 50/50 4K9 and UC4D3 to get the shade I was looking for.

18th dec 1.jpg

18th dec 2.jpg

18th dec 4.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Malc1 said:

she's looking very smart. Well done .  see you've got the original wheels 

Malc

Have to for licensing, the new gear will come next year. Gotta crawl before we walk :)

• Like 1

Gonna look better than this and that is a tribute to your work,make sure you get the wheels going in the right direction if you use the 15 inch original spec .I got  them wrong on the drivers side here.post-11542-0-55224500-1447148553_thumb.jpgpost-11542-0-23255600-1447148574_thumb.jpgpost-11542-0-88553100-1447148599_thumb.jpgpost-11542-0-47269700-1447148625_thumb.jpgpost-11542-0-65837500-1447148645_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

23 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Excellent choice of colour 4K9 - doesn't show the dust. Now all you need is two dozen Hail dents and I can say "snap". Seriously, are you planning on changing the Indicator and side lens to clear?  

Those and many other ideas have been on my mind at some stage during the build however, the 'trim' costs money. I figured I could literally spend another $17k on accessories. At my age I feel I have to draw the line somewhere. Although going clear would bring it into the 21st century, I'm not sure it would make it stand out in a crowd. I must confess, I have thought about headlight covers which you can get for them. Food for thought though.....

https://gtsstyling.com/?make=40116&model=40865&year_id=40870&engine=40871&post_type=product&action=vpf-search

16 hours ago, Malc1 said:

why on earth would you want headlight covers ?

Malc

Why not? Add some flared arches, a big boot spoiler, stretched tyres on big rims, and a Wayne & Tracie sticker on the windscreen,..... 🤣🤣
Oh you should see your face Malc :taz:🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, BigBoomer said:

Why not? Add some flared arches, a big boot spoiler, stretched tyres on big rims, and a Wayne & Tracie sticker on the windscreen,..... 🤣🤣
Oh you should see your face Malc :taz:🤣

LOLOLOL

11150336_10206424212506439_8952133569484529009_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links