Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2022 Lexus ES 300h F Sport Review

ThomasLexus94

Hey everyone,

I recently had the facelifted Lexus ES 300h out from Lexus Glasgow. Firstly I must say that the touchscreen is an improvement over the 2019 model that I was in previously, there is still the remote touchpad. The screen is a good 10cm closer to the driver now so you can touch it with ease (it also has apple car play and android auto). Sadly not the latest system that is found in the NX and new RZ. I personally really like the LED headlights and the appearance of the F sport trim Lexus models on a whole look great (prefer the chrome look of the pre facelift vs these black rims).

The main positives for the car was the incredible rear legroom (feels huge coming out of a Jaguar XJ X351), the ride quality is very subtle and you don't feel the road as much as I expected (especially being the F sport). It still has a CD player, which great as I know I get many comments on cars that still have them.

The negatives that I could see is the lack of engine choice and there is no awd. That CVT gearbox is a touch loud when accelerating onto the motorway. Black alloy wheels on the F sport trim I don't think suit a car like this. I couldn't get the car over 48 mpg and I really did try driving as economically as I could (I can easily get 52 mpg in the IS 300h without trying).

If anyone wishes to check out my video on the facelifted Lexus ES 300h F sport, the link is below:

• Like 1

Hi Thomas, thanks for sharing a video and your thoughts with us.

I also had a test drive ES in February and it was an F-sport and I was disappointed how it felt on the road, so I am really surprised reading from you that you don't feel the road, I know the route from Glasgow dealership and if you took the same one than you should feel how there is no Lexus plushness in suspension, it was actually quite crushy. A week later I took for test drive a normal ES and it was fantastic I have to say, much better in my opinion suspension set up than F-sport.

I didn't noticed much noise during acceleration, well, nothing extra ordinary and the car felt quicker than 0-62mph numbers suggest.

What do you mean CVT a touch loud, I do not understand this comment. In defence of CVT, this is just a normal comment when journalist can't find anything else to fault. I think CVT is great and now I have in a family BMW with 8 speed auto and Skoda with 7 speed DSG and none of the them can be compared for smoothness CVT provides, I actually love this in Lexus, especially around town - conventional autos can never decide 1st or 2nd gear you need. 

Rear room totally agree - fantastic. Music quality was acceptable and new screen is much better than the old one.

Thomas, I hope I did not upset you with my comments and it is just my opinion but I am glad you do these videos for us and think they are great. Well done.

Vlad

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vlady said:

Hi Thomas, thanks for sharing a video and your thoughts with us.

I also had a test drive ES in February and it was an F-sport and I was disappointed how it felt on the road, so I am really surprised reading from you that you don't feel the road, I know the route from Glasgow dealership and if you took the same one than you should feel how there is no Lexus plushness in suspension, it was actually quite crushy. A week later I took for test drive a normal ES and it was fantastic I have to say, much better in my opinion suspension set up than F-sport.

I didn't noticed much noise during acceleration, well, nothing extra ordinary and the car felt quicker than 0-62mph numbers suggest.

What do you mean CVT a touch loud, I do not understand this comment. In defence of CVT, this is just a normal comment when journalist can't find anything else to fault. I think CVT is great and now I have in a family BMW with 8 speed auto and Skoda with 7 speed DSG and none of the them can be compared for smoothness CVT provides, I actually love this in Lexus, especially around town - conventional autos can never decide 1st or 2nd gear you need. 

Rear room totally agree - fantastic. Music quality was acceptable and new screen is much better than the old one.

Thomas, I hope I did not upset you with my comments and it is just my opinion but I am glad you do these videos for us and think they are great. Well done.

Vlad

I think if you compare a non F-Sport GS to an F-Sport ES its probably going to lose out. 

Thanks for the video. I also agree with vlady that the fsport suspension is quite harsh and un lexus like. This is the primary reason for me selling my 2019 es300h and ordering a new premium edition with the standard suspension set up and smaller wheels. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Vlady said:

I tend to feel from a standing start it can feel as if the ES gets a little bogged down around 40-50, especially when climbing slip roads up onto faster roads. However, the mid range punch (if you can call it that with a CVT) for overtaking is superb and comparable to anything the direct rivals can throw up without looking at higher engine offerings. It certain does feel alot faster than the figures suggest whilst on the move.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links