Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dust Caps

DarkoDarko

So just a friendly warning to anyone who has metal dust caps like myself, This weekend I went to the tyre fitters to get 2 new front tyres for my CT, When they went to remove the tyre they noticed that the dust cap had fused to the thread and could not be removed, Long story short they had to cut it off which meant not only did I need a new valve but the tyre pressure sensor is connected to the valve and its one unit! I had to purchase a new valve and sensor unit.

The fitter said that this happens more often than you would think and warned against metal dust caps, he said if I do insist in using them it might be worth putting a bit of copper grease on the thread to make sure it did not fuse.

Cheers Darko

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DarkoDarko said:

So just a friendly warning to anyone who has metal dust caps like myself, This weekend I went to the tyre fitters to get 2 new front tyres for my CT, When they went to remove the tyre they noticed that the dust cap had fused to the thread and could not be removed, Long story short they had to cut it off which meant not only did I need a new valve but the tyre pressure sensor is connected to the valve and its one unit! I had to purchase a new valve and sensor unit.

The fitter said that this happens more often than you would think and warned against metal dust caps, he said if I do insist in using them it might be worth putting a bit of copper grease on the thread to make sure it did not fuse.

Cheers Darko

good info to know....thanks Darko

• Like 1

I think this is exacerbated by the tyre pressure warning systems. Before these, wise people checked tyre pressures every couple of weeks necessitating dust cap removal, and the caps were often plastic. Now there's no need. Mine rarely need adjustment, so are hardly ever removed. So I use a bit of vaselene to lubricate every 6 months or so. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DarkoDarko said:

Cheers Darko

A timely warning indeed Bobby.  I thought I had plastic caps until, while topping up at our local BP, I discovered one was metal.  And yes…it was frozen on to the stem.

But no problem.  A helpful lad produced a spanner from his van and - with a deft twist - snapped the stem off the valve!

Still, he did help me put the SpaceSaver on.  And a nearby tyre retailer had a replacement TPMS to fit for £65.  

The lad was very apologetic but I told him that had I had a suitable spanner, I would have undoubtedly done the same.  But I did treat the car to a new set of plastic dust caps!

• Thanks 1

Different metals have different behaviour.

Aluminium will hardly corrode to the the original from Lexus. Plastic will always do the job and they cost close to nothing. If you want them to look wanted you can always buy carbon.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=lexus+ct&_sacat=6028&LH_TitleDesc=0&_pgn=2 if you want bling.

Have 2 original Lexus, still not stolen and they are from some strange material, too light to be steel and too stiff to be plastic. Looks like metal but strange material.

• Like 1

I was lucky it was just one that was stuck as it could of turned into a costly situation, I have no problem spending money on my car but it really hurts replacing parts that don't need replacing 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

I use silicone oil which last a long time even here where it is hot all year.

Wonder what the original Lexus dust caps are made of.

image.png

Pretty sure its aluminium.

Worth noting that low cost TPMS valve servicing kits are available and recommended every new tyre change and is normal practice by tyre fitters foc.

If the stem is cut off because of cap corrosion the chances are the repair could be done without the expense of a new sensor, by just using the service kit.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links