Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New owner

Tomtit

Colin.  Thank you.

I will have a look at the ECU tomorrow when it has hopefully stopped raining.

For information to help others, it is only a few minutes' work to take the cluster out. The bezel is clipped in place and comes away using a plastic trim removal tool. The cluster is held by 4 screws.

• Like 1

Today I removed the cluster again and managed to access the LED's. I have attached a photo. The black sealant is covering the LED for the malfunction indicator lamp. Needless to say, the MIL is now working as it should. At least I don't have to start investigating the wiring. I may be the only person who is pleased to see the MIL lit up with the engine running.

That is part 1 of the problem solved. Now, fault code P0430 with a louder than usual exhaust note will point me in the right direction.

7 013.JPG

• Like 4

Bob.  It is difficult to say.

I have spent the afternoon getting the car up in the air and sealing 4 exhaust leaks. Good news: the MIL went out after starting the engine. Bad news: it came back on with a new fault code. P1651 - vacuum switching valve for acoustic control induction system circuit. The paperwork shows that this code was there before I bought the car and a new switching valve was fitted. It was a genuine part bought from Lexus.

I had this problem with the LS430 and fitting the new valve was a long job; the inlet manifold has to come off, and that is a heavy item when you are working on your own. Another job to look forward to !

The ECU has no real way of knowing if the ACIS valve is working other than measuring current when it powers it - therefore the coil in the valve, wiring or ECU itself are really only the real causes. As you say, it's a pain of a job because it lives under the intake.

On 10/30/2022 at 5:28 PM, Bob King said:

If the valve has this wiring cable on it, see if it has a bad connection on the outer end if accessible .

I don't believe it does. Connector for the valve but then into the main engine wiring loom back to the 12v feed and ECU signal.

• Like 2

I have just discovered from the paperwork that the garage tried to fix the P1651 fault code by replacing the vacuum switching valve for the emissions control system, not the valve for the acoustic control induction system. I have looked at the valve for the emissions control and it looks new.

It is not surprising that the P1651 code will not go away. I have ordered a new valve and gaskets.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tomtit said:

I have just discovered from the paperwork that the garage tried to fix the P1651 fault code by replacing the vacuum switching valve for the emissions control system, not the valve for the acoustic control induction system. I have looked at the valve for the emissions control and it looks new.

It is not surprising that the P1651 code will not go away. I have ordered a new valve and gaskets.

So do you think the garage or previous owner covers over the each engine management lamp ?

• Like 1

Bob. On the video where the man from High Peak Autos shows us around the car, the engine management lamp did not come on when he switched the ignition on. This suggests that the light had been blocked out before High Peak bought it.

I should add that the repair work was done by another garage, not High Peak Autos.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Hi Richard

As an avid watcher of High Peak Autos I believe he is a respected and honest trader.  It is therefore highly unlikely that he would tamper with the light and that would appear to be supported by the video clips. 

Unfortunately problems like this are encountered when we buy vehicles which are old and have had multiple previous owners. I have had several issues where things were not done properly or corners were cut and have dealt with them in a pragmatic way.

For me the joy and fun my SC gives me is worth all problems I have had and I hope you feel the same!

Anthony 

9 hours ago, Lexiguy said:

As an avid watcher of High Peak Autos I believe he is a respected and honest trader.  It is therefore highly unlikely that he would tamper with the light and that would appear to be supported by the video clips. 

Fair point.

However, do you not feel this respected and honest trader should have noticed this small but important issue?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Moleman said:

Fair point.

However, do you not feel this respected and honest trader should have noticed this small but important issue?

Compared to many Traders Maurice, I feel that Matt is honest and respectable, but his knowledge is limited.

In recent videos when putting fuel into cars he has failed to recognise that Europen and Japanese cars have fuel filler caps on opposite sides,nor did he know that the position of the filler cap is shown on the dashboard.

Still, he is an open and refreshing reviewer who says it as it is.No B******t.

I would be prepared to buy a car from him.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Compared to many Traders Maurice, I feel that Matt is honest and respectable, but his knowledge is limited.

In recent videos when putting fuel into cars he has failed to recognise that Europen and Japanese cars have fuel filler caps on opposite sides,nor did he know that the position of the filler cap is shown on the dashboard.

Still, he is an open and refreshing reviewer who says it as it is.No B******t.

I would be prepared to buy a car from him.

Fair enough

• Like 2

I cannot criticise High Peak Autos. The invoices show that they spent a lot of money putting things right and I don't think that they made a profit on the sale. (I hope they made a profit on my part exchange). When starting the car I did not notice the absence of the MIL, and I suspect that many other potential buyers would not notice it. 

I always buy older cars and in my experience it is rare to get one without any issues. I still feel that I have come away with a good car and I would buy again from this dealer.

• Like 3

Collected the car today after the local garage had removed the wheel bearing dust covers and fitted the new driveshafts. The car is now braking as it should with no noises. The mechanic said that the job was "a challenge." I bet the language in the workshop was not fit for use in decent company. It took him 5 1/2 hours. The workshop manual made it sound like an hour's work.

Waiting for the vacuum switching valve and gaskets to arrive before I tackle the next job.

• Like 2

For the benefit of others, this is what happens to the reluctor rings on the driveshafts. The castellations are almost worn away. Without help from this forum I would not have been able to diagnose the problem.

Topsyenginedriveshafts 009.JPG

• Like 3

I told the mechanic to leave them off. I don't want this problem again. I suppose I will have to expect this to happen on the LS430 as well, unless they have previously been removed. The workshop manual shows that the LS also has wheel bearing dust shields.

4 hours ago, Bob King said:

The tin shields around the bearing hub are the cause of all the problems, some say put new ones in ..other leave them out .

So are they not a necessity then? 

I didn’t realise they could be left out.🤔🤔

3 hours ago, Tomtit said:

I told the mechanic to leave them off. I don't want this problem again. I suppose I will have to expect this to happen on the LS430 as well, unless they have previously been removed. The workshop manual shows that the LS also has wheel bearing dust shields.

Did they ask you if you wanted them replacing?

22 minutes ago, Russ59 said:

So are they not a necessity then? 

I didn’t realise they could be left out.🤔🤔

I’m thinking they are added to keep road dirt off the reluctor rings.

• Like 1

Russell.  When I booked the car in at the garage I asked them to remove the dust shields, and I explained why.

Bob. I would rather have road dirt on the reluctor rings than have the rings worn away again. Cleaning the dirt off the rings is no great hardship. Remove the wheel speed sensor and this gives a hole for a screwdriver or toothbrush to get rid of the dirt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links