Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Driving in Liechtenstein (ICMV)

Marko89

I'm wondering if anyone has ever applied for an International Certificate for Motor Vehicles. It is a requirement for taking a UK registered car into Liechtenstein which we are planning to do in a couple of weeks as we will be holidaying in Southern Bavaria. Our ICMV arrived this morning, it is meant to be kept in the car alongside the V5. However, the DVLA have put our make down as Toyota rather than Lexus. The V5 shows Lexus, so I'm not entirely sure why they have written Toyota. 

I have emailed the DVLA back to ask if this will be an issue (or if they could re-issue). Although my worry is that it has taken 3 weeks from application stage to receive it and we travel on Tuesday next week. Has anyone every had experience with this? 

The ICMV seems to only be required for 3 countries worldwide, the other two being Mexico and Somalia. My assumption for Liechtenstein is that they are simply trying to control the volume of traffic entering. 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Marko89 said:

DVLA have put our make down as Toyota rather than Lexus. 

Ohhh this made me giggle. Surprisingly DVLA knows something about the cars for once. But still Toyota ES is just so true and funny. 

Just in my opinion - as I have not driven in Liechtenstein, and I would have never known about ICMV, nor ever bothered to find out, and would have never bothered to get it anyway. But I think you likely would not even need to show it anywhere and in unlikely case you are stopped you have the document which has right car details apart of Toyota/Lexus which is close enough. So I would say that is good enough.

6 hours ago, Marko89 said:

Somalia

I would be worried about a discrepancy in Somalia .......  thinking that might require a head amputation if you get it wrong there

Liechenstein and Mexico, well bring on a little more tequila and you'll probably be fine  and in Liquorenstein  .....  no one will notice 

Malc

• Haha 2

• 7 months later...

I'm not aware of any specific cases where someone has had a similar issue with an International Certificate for Motor Vehicles (ICMV) when traveling to Liechtenstein. However, if the make of the car on the ICMV does not match the information on the V5 document, it's possible that this could cause some confusion or delay at the border. It's a good idea to contact the DVLA to ask if this will be an issue, and if necessary, to request a corrected or reissued ICMV as soon as possible. It's also possible that the border officials in Liechtenstein may be understanding of a minor error on the ICMV, but it's best to be prepared and have all necessary documentation in order before traveling. As you noted, Liechtenstein may require the ICMV to control the volume of traffic entering the country, so it's important to comply with all regulations and requirements.

I drive through Liechtenstein maybe two or three times a year (which takes about 15 minutes if you keep to the speed limits, which is probably advisable), and have never been stopped, not even at the border points.  In the unlikely event you are stopped, and unless your car poses an evident and serious safety risk, in which case it would be sequestered, any administrative irregularity would merely result in your being asked to leave the country forthwith.  I base this on Swiss police practice, which I would guess Liechtenstein probably follows, as it does in most things.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links