Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The Ls400 cost brand new in 1995

Just asked Lexus at the Centre and after much research they have told me the best they can reach for my October 1995 car is a figure from January 1995 of     £ 44,475    after all taxes etc delivered from the Main Dealer 

Today's equivalent of £95k  :yahoo:

Aren't we lucky souls owning such BRILLIANT cars 

Malc

I would count myself really Lucky .

My 98 mark4 was £55k when new and I paid £3750 for it when it had 19k on the clock and it was 13 years old. I have £1200 in it for two belts and a water pump change and another £100 for a ignition switch.

I have had it 10 years and its now worth a bit more than the money I paid for it so I would say I owe it money" NICE".

• Like 2

I paid £2250 for my Mk4, 13 years old (with over 100K on clock).  Coming up to 10 years of Mk4 ownership, will need a new cam belt soon, and work on suspension. 

Not got away with as little as £1200 on core parts, but still say it has been the cheapest car ever owned, might use a little more gas than a fiesta, but a fiesta with 220K on clock would be a bit of a sorry thing to drive.

I count myself more than lucky to have been an LS driver for 14 years in total, long may in continue

• Like 2

I paid £1300 for a mk3 sourced by Steve back in 2013 just had it resprayed recently and wheels refurbed at a cost of £1900 which is the most I have ever spent on the car in one go . Why you might ask? Well quite simply it has been the best car I've ever bought and I've had many, not once in my ownership has it ever left me stranded therefore I felt it deserved this little bit of TLC before it gets its major service next week. My kids think I'm mad spending money on Lexie (they call it the Sexlus) when I have a Jaguar and Disco 4 they just think I'm a sentimental old codger which maybe I am but nothing comes close to the comfort that this car delivers on long journeys and the fact its so reliable just adds to the satisfaction of being an Ls400 owner.. Its fabulous especially now with its new makeover 

• Thanks 1

I've just had a quote from said to be the very best " car correction " guy on Sheppey at Sheerness ...  to rid me of all the rust and holey crap on my offside rear wheel arch ......... £400 / £480  depends how much blending spraying needed he tells me ....... just having spent £250 on my wheels refurb and earlier some £360 on the fabricated new front exhaust box thingy ..  seems a never ending " money pit "  BUT tiny compared to almost any other car on the road, let alone a Mk3 of some 27 years youth 

Do I remember correctly ?  that the front exhaust box from Lexus ( when it was last available ) was about £6/700 pre-fitting  ...  unavailable now they told me at the time 

Am I bonkers spending my dosh on this " money pit " of a beast ........ with the quietness of a churchmouse my 4ltr V8 and at a blissful 240k miles just turned :thumbsup:

Malc

16 minutes ago, wackyjim said:

but my advice is just do it

yes I think so  .....  I'll pop in to see him in the week to book her in

My concern is the spraying over and lacquering to " blend in " when I know the original paint finish is so blissfully brilliant ( Aspen Green ) and I don't really want that " blended in " but Cest le Vie .....  the colour matching will be needed after 27 years of sun fade etc I guess :unsure:

Malc

• Like 1

bumped into another Mk3  M  reg owner last week at the Walmer Deal Antiques Fayre and we chatted a little and he's just spent £750 at Lexus changing the starter motor .....  he's had his car many moons too and now at 109k miles ....  same colour as yours ............... he's had a Ls400 for 23 years too he told me ......  lucky guy eh !

About the same time as me :yahoo:

These Mk3s really are brilliant but almost worthless ladies ( of distinction )  and deserving of a little tlc and preservation methinks 

Malc

• Like 2

Jim, envious of  that lovely paintwork.  

I am with you on spending on 'apparently' worthless motor.

My only challenge is the missus now saying 'Are you going to keep spending money on that boxey looking car'.  

So might have to sell the missus or the car.  Not sure if a 460 counts as 'not boxey', but could think about keeping the 400 out of sight (heaven knows where), and treat her like a mistress with rare days out with my first love the 400.  

On the other hand could go ES300H and be damned

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had a 2003 Mercedes CL55 AMG for a grand total for 4 weeks, I think it was no more than that - anyway, the car which itself was in or arouind 60-70K new back then, so over £100k now is now scrap and has been so for some time so yes, the LS400 unbelievable machine

• Like 1

On 9/4/2022 at 10:19 AM, Malc said:

I've just had a quote from said to be the very best " car correction " guy on Sheppey at Sheerness ...  to rid me of all the rust and holey crap on my offside rear wheel arch ......... £400 / £480  depends how much blending spraying needed he tells me ....... just having spent £250 on my wheels refurb and earlier some £360 on the fabricated new front exhaust box thingy ..  seems a never ending " money pit "  BUT tiny compared to almost any other car on the road, let alone a Mk3 of some 27 years youth 

Do I remember correctly ?  that the front exhaust box from Lexus ( when it was last available ) was about £6/700 pre-fitting  ...  unavailable now they told me at the time 

Am I bonkers spending my dosh on this " money pit " of a beast ........ with the quietness of a churchmouse my 4ltr V8 and at a blissful 240k miles just turned :thumbsup:

Malc

To make you feel better, getting the corroded brakes repaired in said Merceds was over a grand, that figure now most likely 2 grand - not counting everything else that it needed!

A car is only a money pit if you continually throw money at it, occasional splurts of money are acceptable. I had a Honda Accord before the Lexus and that was pretty good, I remember getting coilovers on it once in Scotland and a few months later doing a MOT and noticed a new-ish white BMW there on both occasions --> moneypit

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links