Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying an IS300H F sport (out of warranty vs in)

9 hours ago, Adj209 said:

Can anyone clarify if the Lexus relax warranty Ie. 10 years/100k miles as long as serviced at lexus, costs?

I'm kind of confused as I've seen some stuff online saying it's included as long as it's serviced at lexus for 12m until 10 years/100k aka 'free warranty'

Or do you have to pay for both the annual warranty and servicing which is expected to be £1000+ PA?

If you get the car serviced by Lexus (every 10k miles or 12 months whichever comes first as per the service schedule) then it receives a free extended warranty called Relax. This lasts until the next service is due. This will continue at each service done by Lexus until the car reaches 100k miles or 10 years old (whichever comes first). After 100k miles or 10 years you can purchase something called 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty that costs about £500 per year. This can be purchased each year until the car reaches 15 years old or 150k miles (whichever comes first). For it to be valid the car must continue to be serviced on schedule (every 10k miles or 12 months) by Lexus. It also includes Lexus breakdown assistance for the year (worth £130 if purchased separately) that is not included with the Relax warranty. The Hybrid Battery also receives a separate free 10k mile / 12 month (whichever comes first) hybrid health check with each service done by Lexus that warranties the hybrid Battery until the next service is due and can be done until the car is 15 years old (no mileage limit) or this can be purchased separately (£59 I think each 10k miles / 12 months whichever comes first) if you have the car serviced outside the Lexus dealership. 

• Like 2

There is no confusion Ash. A Service at a Lexus Dealership gives you a free 12 month warranty until the next Service for vehicles up to 10 years old and less than100,000 miles.

1 minute ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

As far as I know it is free if serviced by Lexus and replaced the paid extended warranty. 

Does anyone know if it covers Roadside assistance?

It does not Paul.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

As far as I know it is free if serviced by Lexus and replaced the paid extended warranty. 

Does anyone know if it covers Roadside assistance?

Relax does not include Roadside assistance - this can be purchased from Lexus for I think £130. The 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty does include Roadside assistance. 

4 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

Relax does not include Roadside assistance - this can be purchased from Lexus for I think £130. The 10 Year Extended Warranty does include Roadside assistance. 

Thanks for the quick response (and John). That’s a relief I thought I had just wasted £135 on Lexus Roadside assistance😀

Well hopefully I have as I won’t need to use it but piece of mind for the Mrs. 🙃

• Like 2

Hello Ash. I can understand if you're getting a bit confused about warranties and servicing etc.

You say you're only going to do around 4k miles a year. Now I've had 2 is300h and loved the second to bits. However the is250 to me is the better car. Yes the gen 2 car is much older but it's oh so reliable. If you've never had a CVT transmission car or an auto then you'd hate the is300h. 

The gen 2 is250 only has one problem and that's the rear brake calipers seizing due to lack of lubricating them (a decent garage would do that if you're not of the ilk to service a car). The year of model is300h you're after has a couple more issues which I'm sure you've read about. 

Because of your low mileage I really recommend the is250. Yes it's less economical Yes it's older (but a ruddy good looking car) yes road tax is a lot more but servicing is cheaper. There's no issues with the hybrid side as it doesn't have one. You'll have a silky smooth V6 sound. I'd recommend the SE-L which is top of the range. Sublime ride even slightly better than the 300h. 

Browse the gen 2 IS section to gather info on pros and cons etc. Sorry for throwing this spanner in.

Thank you all for the responses - I think given all the facts, I am leaning towards a fairly new IS300H within the 10-year warranty.  F sport.

I didn't know Lexus relax was only introduced last year (so no paid warranty as included with the servicing) so I think for the extra few grand I might as well save myself the hassle and get a car relatively new, in warranty and also including the 2017 safety pack.

On 9/8/2022 at 5:19 PM, Adj209 said:

Thank you all for the responses - I think given all the facts, I am leaning towards a fairly new IS300H within the 10-year warranty.  F sport.

I didn't know Lexus relax was only introduced last year (so no paid warranty as included with the servicing) so I think for the extra few grand I might as well save myself the hassle and get a car relatively new, in warranty and also including the 2017 safety pack.

I think the benefit of the 2017 models is obviously the minor facelift and the slight tweaks to suspension. I dont think theres any real reliability differences between the 2013 and 2017 onwards models.

We had ours for 6 years and bought it 2 years old. It had nothing go wrong with it bar the radio dead on changing the Battery - that cost me £500. These things are massively reliable.

Bear in mind Ive had Lexus vehicles since 2004 and Ive not had any bills more than £500 on non serviceable items. (Actually I think the only bill I had was the £500 radio). My 3 RXs and IS were hugely reliable and our UX is also doing very well but its so new

• Like 1

On 9/4/2022 at 12:40 PM, royoftherovers said:

I will share whatever I receive from Lexus CS, Phil

That link is confusing and possibly misleading. It more than implies that the system is checked,but it only guarantees the Hybrid Battery !

Thus if an inverter fails,it will impact the performance/operation of the Hybrid Battery which itself is not faulty ! Hence the need for the 10 year plus extended warranty to be paid for.

I have now heard from Lexus CS,IT IS CLEAR THAT MEANS JUST THE Battery AND NOTHING ELSE.

They write

"Good afternoon John, 

Thank you for your patience whilst I reviewed you query internally with our Warranty Team. 

I have been advised that the warranty will only cover the hybrid Battery up to year 15 from the registration date, any other components aren't covered.

With regards to the documentation you have referred to our Warranty Team are not sure which documentation you are referring to, but the hybrid warranty only covers the Battery, nothing else.

I hope the above information provides you with the clarification you were looking for. 

Thank you for contacting Lexus UK, and I hope you have a wonderful rest of your week. 

Kind regards

Claire "

And with regard to the other items which are integral to the performance of the Hybrid Battery, they say;

"Thank you for your reply. 

Please be advised that the following: 

The Hybrid Battery electronic control unit
The Hybrid system central electronic control unit
The Hybrid system inverter and converter

Are covered components under the Lexus Warranty (relax). 

I hope this provides you with the clarification you were looking for. 

Kind regards

Claire" 

My view is that, It is essential therefore that owners of vehicles more than 10 years old which do not qualify for assistance from the RELAX warranty do not rely solely upon the Hybrid Battery Certificate to  ensure that Hybrid Systems failures are corrected by Lexus. It is essential that they pay for an extended warranty.

Food for thought indeed.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

I have now heard from Lexus CS,IT IS CLEAR THAT MEANS JUST THE BATTERY AND NOTHING ELSE.

They write

"Good afternoon John, 

Thank you for your patience whilst I reviewed you query internally with our Warranty Team. 

I have been advised that the warranty will only cover the hybrid battery up to year 15 from the registration date, any other components aren't covered.

With regards to the documentation you have referred to our Warranty Team are not sure which documentation you are referring to, but the hybrid warranty only covers the battery, nothing else.

I hope the above information provides you with the clarification you were looking for. 

Thank you for contacting Lexus UK, and I hope you have a wonderful rest of your week. 

Kind regards

Claire "

And with regard to the other items which are integral to the performance of the Hybrid Battery, they say;

"Thank you for your reply. 

Please be advised that the following: 

The Hybrid Battery electronic control unit
The Hybrid system central electronic control unit
The Hybrid system inverter and converter

Are covered components under the Lexus Warranty (relax). 

I hope this provides you with the clarification you were looking for. 

Kind regards

Claire" 

My view is that, It is essential therefore that owners of vehicles more than 10 years old which do not qualify for assistance from the RELAX warranty do not rely solely upon the Hybrid Battery Certificate to  ensure that Hybrid Systems failures are corrected by Lexus. It is essential that they pay for an extended warranty.

Food for thought indeed.

Thanks for contacting Lexus CS and getting clarity on this. No ambiguity going forwards now. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links