Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Transmission oil.

DarkoDarko

On 9/6/2022 at 8:22 AM, DarkoDarko said:

I thought as much, 

Thank you for the reply

You should change it every 60k miles if you plan on keeping the car past 100k miles. The problem with transmission oil is the longer it goes before you change it the bigger the chance you actually destroy the transmission by changing the fluid.

So it's either get it changed regularly or never change it at all.

Changing it after a long time will cause it to slip as fresh fluid won't have the particles to help it grip.

• 1 month later...
On 9/6/2022 at 7:41 AM, ColinBarber said:

Officially it doesn’t need replacing. Many people in the US change their fluid every 60k miles to maintain top performance. 

Do you think the 4L oil for Hybrid is the transmission oil?

image.thumb.png.265c58daa562d2bf88be2ce375322477.png

4.4 L Helix oil from Shell is engine oil and how much oil is there in such a little car?

1 hour ago, Las Palmas said:

Do you think the 4L oil for Hybrid is the transmission oil?

4.4 L Helix oil from Shell is engine oil and how much oil is there in such a little car?

Yes, the 08886-81210 part is Toyota WS automatic transmission fluid.

Technically the official capacity for a drain and refill with filter replacement is 4.2 litres on the CT engine not 4.4 litres, but close enough.

On 9/9/2022 at 9:55 PM, SonnyA85 said:

The problem with transmission oil is the longer it goes before you change it the bigger the chance you actually destroy the transmission by changing the fluid.

That is a point of view held by some for conventional automatics, and there is some logic in that changing the oil may introduce dirt / debris that blocks the narrow oil passageways.  However, eCVTs are a completely different design and I don't believe they have that risk.

11 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Yes, the 08886-81210 part is Toyota WS automatic transmission fluid.

Technically the official capacity for a drain and refill with filter replacement is 4.2 litres on the CT engine not 4.4 litres, but close enough.

So a big service actually mean they change the transmission oil? I have read here that it last a lifetime and never need to be changed. Or am I misunderstanding that?

11 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

So a big service actually mean they change the transmission oil? I have read here that it last a lifetime and never need to be changed. Or am I misunderstanding that?

There isn't really a set major/big service. Different things are changed at 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10 years (or the mileage equivalent).

In the UK there is no scheduled transmission fluid change for the CT, unless you are on the severe schedule.

Mainland Europe is almost the same as the UK (although intervals are every 9k miles/15 km rather than 10k miles for the UK). Your 90 km service would be the equivalent of a UK 60k miles service.

Maybe you are on the European severe schedule, or an African one? If you are on the severe schedule then the transmission fluid drain/replace interval is 90 km.

2 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

There isn't really a set major/big service. Different things are changed at 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10 years (or the mileage equivalent).

In the UK there is no scheduled transmission fluid change for the CT, unless you are on the severe schedule.

Mainland Europe is almost the same as the UK (although intervals are every 9k miles/15 km rather than 10k miles for the UK). Your 90 km service would be the equivalent of a UK 60k miles service.

Maybe you are on the European severe schedule, or an African one? If you are on the severe schedule then the transmission fluid drain/replace interval is 90 km.

Well, the car has only run 80.125km but maybe they just wanted to be early. They also told that the tyres needed to be replaced, but having been in car business long time I saw that 2.5mm left is more than enough in a country where rain is something we hope to get, but seldom will get. The tyres were also not showing any kind of misalignment and yesterday it went through ITV (MOT in UK) and all was just perfect. They changed the cabin filter though, much to my surprise, so I did not see if something was in it.

Maybe this place needs change oil as sometimes sand from Sahara fill the air and it can be difficult to see more than a few hundred metres.

25 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

Maybe this place needs change oil as sometimes sand from Sahara fill the air and it can be difficult to see more than a few hundred metres.

A severe schedule based on road conditions only relates to engine oil, filter, brakes etc and would really only be when it is nearly always dusty (e.g dirt roads) and then you need an oil change service every 4,500 km. The transmission is sealed from the atmosphere so only driving conditions should make that move to the severe schedule, not road conditions (towing, excessive idling, taxi driving etc.). 

IMO it is a good thing your fluid was changed, I just don't expect it to be done again for another 90,000 km (or 6 years).

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

A severe schedule based on road conditions only relates to engine oil, filter, brakes etc and would really only be when it is nearly always dusty (e.g dirt roads) and then you need an oil change service every 4,500 km. The transmission is sealed from the atmosphere so only driving conditions should make that move to the severe schedule, not road conditions (towing, excessive idling, taxi driving etc.). 

IMO it is a good thing your fluid was changed, I just don't expect it to be done again for another 90,000 km (or 6 years).

All roads here are paved, some not in first class condition. Where we drive most the roads are still a bit better than just OK. The usual condition for the car is carrying 2 or 3 and all in the lightweight class 70 - 60 - 30 kg. Doubt that can be called severe conditions for a car. Maybe the mountains make the condition a bit tougher for the car than in a pancake flat country, but we only drive up high once or twice a month. When you think it is good to change transmission fluid it will be done again in 6 years, if we still have the car, which I doubt. It drives as well as I think it should, suspension super, engine OK, seats comfortable though not luxury, but with the great audio and all the other extras in the car it is one of the good cars we have had. An almost perfect little car for little people.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links