Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help / advise regarding shock / springs.

Hi all.:yahoo:

If anybody saw my previous topic After the MOT the shock absorbers you will have a clue what this is partly about.

Now i know they are some good members with more knowledge than i have so hopping they can advise me please😀

Now iam looking at getting new rear shocks and while am at it getting rear springs to as i understand the spring has to come off to replace the shock if iam wrong here please feel free to correct me.

Lexus genuine shocks are a no no as they are far too expensive the cheapest new i have seen are £262.00 each, springs i can only find on a USA parts (lexus parts now) they are after conversion from dollars to sterling £122.00 each again.

Now as much as genuine lexus parts are good this is not a option price wise on a 13 year old car.

So the question is does anybody no or can advise me off some good alternatives as the prices are a no dad for me any recommendation greatly received or has anybody tried and had sucksess with them part number would help please if at all possible i do not want to buy from USA or Japan as shipping will be to much and import duty and the like.

65mike.:yahoo:

Blimey they're ruddy cheap. However cheap is cheap and the quality of those shocks I'd query very much.

Mike. Yes your car is 13 years old. Mines 15 and at 13 years old I had genuine rear shocks put on mine. Yes expensive But they'll last at least another 13 years and all veing well I'll still be driving my car then knowing I've not skimped on it or the safety of the ride.

14 hours ago, 65mike said:

Hi all.:yahoo:

If anybody saw my previous topic After the MOT the shock absorbers you will have a clue what this is partly about.

Now i know they are some good members with more knowledge than i have so hopping they can advise me please😀

Now iam looking at getting new rear shocks and while am at it getting rear springs to as i understand the spring has to come off to replace the shock if iam wrong here please feel free to correct me.

Lexus genuine shocks are a no no as they are far too expensive the cheapest new i have seen are £262.00 each, springs i can only find on a USA parts (lexus parts now) they are after conversion from dollars to sterling £122.00 each again.

Now as much as genuine lexus parts are good this is not a option price wise on a 13 year old car.

So the question is does anybody no or can advise me off some good alternatives as the prices are a no dad for me any recommendation greatly received or has anybody tried and had sucksess with them part number would help please if at all possible i do not want to buy from USA or Japan as shipping will be to much and import duty and the like.

Hi Mike,

The best thing you can do in this situation is to go for these: https://www.fensport.co.uk/products/shock-absorber-tein-endura-pro-plus-adjustable-rear-is200d-is220d-is250?_pos=4&_sid=36bf26701&_ss=r

TEIN Endura Pro Adjustable shocks. I have TEIN coilovers on my car, but as linked above, they do OE-style replacement shock absorbers too. AND they are 16 way damping adjustable (like my coilovers) There's a twisty bit at top of the shock which you can turn left or right (8 turns towards soft and 8 turns towards stiffer) to adjust the damping - basically set it to harder or softer setting (if you leave it mid-way as it comes pre-set it will be just like OE shock) and you can do that when it's installed on the car, just need to get to the shock so pull the boot carpet back to access it. No need to take it off the car and mess about like that.

It's only £126 for one shock (front & rear priced the same), but it's genuine aftermarket product with warranty, none of the china no-name stuff you can get elsewhere marketed as OE product. As for springs, you can also get TEIN lowering springs ~35mm lowering but if you don't wish to lower the car, you can just get any standard replacement springs as it's still compatible with factory springs.

They do fronts too, but if you don't need them, I'd recommend just getting these rears as you know it's a quality product from a known aftermarket brand.. 

Here's more info on the product itself. https://uk.tein.com/product/endurapro.html

I'd recommend this to everyone who finds the IS250 maybe too stiff or too soft but wants to retain factory ride height & cost down.

endurapro-plus-rear-shock_11e0a4a4-6ec9-423d-8425-510260702c94_1024x1024.jpg.webp

• Like 1

Hi all😀

Thanks for all the advise.

Thanks keith for the info but at £123.00 a pair no way can see them being of poor quality and probably would not last very long either.

Vladimir i agree with you i usually only fit genuine parts but adding it all up without fitting costs and vat the parts alone are £768.00 just way to expensive.😟

Steve i need to have a look at these price is much better thanks for the info.🙂

Lucas these are interesting have seen Tein parts on the internet before so will have another look.

Thanks to all of you who have given me advise will have a look into what to do.

38 minutes ago, 65mike said:

Lucas these are interesting have seen Tein parts on the internet before so will have another look.

Mike, just so you know.. if you think there's no point having the adjustable ones, you can also get the same non-adjustable shocks from TEIN for ~£108.. you'll save £18 per shock but either way, it will be much better quality than some random stuff from the motor factors. https://www.fensport.co.uk/products/shock-absorber-tein-endura-pro-rear-is200d-is220d-is250?_pos=5&_sid=1b03c0e49&_ss=r

I recently enquired on the cost of replacing front shocks at a Lexus dealer and they quoted £355 per side (fitted, incl. VAT), which didn't sound too bad to me.

Are the rear shocks more expensive than this?

When I got my car 2 years ago I booked it in at Lexus for a service and MOT. I've said this before but I was told they'd not MOT it as they'd fail it because the rear shocks showed signs of leakage. They quoted me about 650 to do including fitting and vat. I eventually got genuine at Halfords for 630 Including fitting and a free MOT.

For a dealer to charge just over £600 and add fitting and vat then I'd stay well clear from that dealer. 

Hi all.😀

Alex if they have quoted you £355 per side including vat that is not to bad for Lexus.:unsure:

Have just looked at Lexus parts direct and they are between£229.43- £270.00 and the site is saying they are on sale so that price is fare in my book cannot understand how they came up with that figure there labour would be over £100.00 per hour minimum and it must take at least 1.5 hrs so lets say £150.00 approx labour.:unsure:

They want to charge you £710.00 they are giving you a big discount then.

Still waiting for reply regarding some FSport springs for mine will do the whole lot when time comes springs shock-absorbers all parts pocket going to take a pounding but there you go.:bored:

65mike.😀

5 minutes ago, 65mike said:

Hi all.😀

Alex if they have quoted you £355 per side including vat that is not to bad for Lexus.:unsure:

Have just looked at Lexus parts direct and they are between£229.43- £270.00 and the site is saying they are on sale so that price is fare in my book cannot understand how they came up with that figure there labour would be over £100.00 per hour minimum and it must take at least 1.5 hrs so lets say £150.00 approx labour.:unsure:

They want to charge you £710.00 they are giving you a big discount then.

Still waiting for reply regarding some FSport springs for mine will do the whole lot when time comes springs shock-absorbers all parts pocket going to take a pounding but there you go.:bored:

65mike.😀

Yeah but don't forget, lexus are selling parts to people for RRP. They may very well make 80% profit on that £330 part (if that's the rrp)

Hi all.😀

I agree Mr Vlad with what you are saying this is the reason i started this tread Lexus wanted over £10.00 for one bolt to connect rear shock absorber to the suspension arm i have seen genuine OE parts from Japan for just over £2.00 pounds ok shipping but put all the parts together except springs and shock absorbers and i was looking at over £460.00 just for the rear.

If i get them OE from Japan including shipping was looking at £260.00 some big difference don't get me wrong sooner they came from UK but looking like not an option now.

65mike

2 minutes ago, 65mike said:

Hi all.😀

I agree Mr Vlad with what you are saying this is the reason i started this tread Lexus wanted over £10.00 for one bolt to connect rear shock absorber to the suspension arm i have seen genuine OE parts from Japan for just over £2.00 pounds ok shipping but put all the parts together except springs and shock absorbers and i was looking at over £460.00 just for the rear.

If i get them OE from Japan including shipping was looking at £260.00 some big difference don't get me wrong sooner they came from UK but looking like not an option now.

65mike

I had a same issue with the said bolt. I ended up ordering high tensile zinc coated pack of 5  online for £7... I wouldn't of been fussy over few quid but my local lexus/toyota didn't have the part in stock at the time. 

Hi all.

Lucas this is the reason iam going for the hole lot nuts bolts rubber cone that covers shock all that you see in the diagram don't want to get caught out.

Expensive i know but should be worth it as i will be keeping it for another 10 years yet hopefully.

65mike.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links