Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Best NX300H year to get used

I am actually not a Lexus owner (yet) but I am looking to buy a used NX300H in the next few months. Is there anything I should look out for / be aware of when buying? 

I was looking at maybe getting the 2016 or 2018 year depending on prices… is newer year always better? Not sure what extra things you get better with the 2018 compared to 2016 years. 

Hello James,

So long as they have been serviced properly and have the service record I don't think there are any flaws or any worries to look out for. With that  I would recommend buying from a Lexus main dealer even if the prices are higher than others.

I can only comment from my own experience - from the years you are thinking about 2016 - 18 the main differences will be the later year (2018) will be the facelift version with revised front grille, tailgate, lights and trim, dashboard switches and larger info screen as standard plus other bits and bobs.

I think it will depend on what you prefer looks wise. The prices seem to be quite high still at the moment - I bought mine a year ago from a main dealer (2018 car) and the prices now for the same spec / year car are substantially higher that what I paid. 

Perhaps with the new model out now the prices will gradually recede on the earlier cars  - although having been in the new one I was dissapointed and personally didn't find it as nice as the original.
Good luck in your search

@NDP Many thanks for the reply and all the info! 

Things I have been reading online are exactly as you said regarding the facelift and some added cosmetic extras in the 2018 model. I was definitely looking at getting from a Lexus main dealer. 

I am really hoping the prices fall a bit though next year. I was looking at getting it after Christmas but doing my research now. I currently own a BMW, but with two dogs there is no boot space so the dogs have to go on back seats. I really like the look of the Lexus NX300H as you get the hybrid as well. My partner had a Toyota Yaris and she loves that! 

I think I will try and push myself into the 2018 model though if I can get a good deal. 

I had a 2018 NX for 4 years before getting my NX450h and would thoroughly recommend going for what was effectively the Mark 2 of the original if you can. I had the Luxury pack(worth it) plus panoramic roof and enjoyed 4 years of trouble free motoring averaging 42mpg over the four years. Once you became accustomed to the track pad of the infotainment system it was OK. Make sure that if you go for a 2018 car that it has had the upgrade to be compatible with apple Car Play/Android Auto. Good luck with your search.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What Ken said.
I'd add, if within budget try and get a 2020 or 2021 1st. gen model, many came with additional "freebies" as it was an out going model.
I bought mine new in 2020 Premium Plus, all the additional bits 'n' bobs I'd budgeted for were thrown in to sweeten the deal, oh and I paid £4,500 under list price. 

• Like 1

On 10/13/2022 at 9:26 PM, JA1985 said:

I was looking at maybe getting the 2016 or 2018 year depending on prices… is newer year always better?

2018 was the year of the facelift model. It has revised suspension and better noise insulation so rides slightly better and is quieter inside. Not a night and day different but worth going for if you can afford a 2018 model.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Awesome info thanks guys! I think I will need to have a chat with the Lexus dealer. I have a budget around £25k so looking at the prices now I think the 2018 might be best fit. Id prefer the 2018 facelift etc. 

So I am going tomorrow to look at the NX300H they have in stock at main dealer. 

I was looking at maybe getting a 2020 model which is £35k and use PCP. 

Has anyone got a Lexus on PCP before here and is it worth it? I was thinking about using PCP for two years then try swap for a newer model. But as I need to use a bit of a large deposit of £11k I am wondering if it would be worth it or just pay it off at end with bubble.. 

We looked at the pre and post-facelift 2018 versions and test drove both a few days apart.

There are noticeable improvements in the noise/comfort, particularly at motorway speeds, with the 2018+ version when comparing but are not so significant they make the earlier model a bad choice.

The 2018+ has several improvements that lead me to test drive it. The promise of a better ride and Safety System+ additions being primary. The larger/clearer multimedia display used for the panoramic cameras and apple Carplay have really proven themselves since buying. The temperature controls looked more intuitive but I'm sure you'd get used to the old style and in reality theses are rarely adjusted. The smaller wireless charging pad in the old was unusable whereas our phones fit the new larger one, but this has been less significant given apple Carplay usage.

For us it was those usability, the panoramic camera on the larger display and knowing the safety improvements that sold it on the day. That and my wife was immediately taken by the body colour/upholstery combination...which were a definite NO when I was searching for models.

Hope the test drive works well. There are so many things to try I hope you get long enough with the vehicle. Maybe plan for one person driving and another trying out all the features.

Also, for me I was buying into the Lexus dealerships and their reputation. I found one small issue with the vehicle and when they updated the media software for delivery the Carplay was removed. One phonecall and they arranged to collect the car, leaving a courtesy car, fixed the issues and returned it. No costs and no fuss. That is a big thing for me.

• Like 1

Lexus PCP is fine and as long as you keep the vehicle in good condition and within the agreed mileage there should be enough equity in the vehicle after 2 years to trade up to a newer model. There is always the option to end the agreement and pay the balance. Enjoy the test drive and if you are using PCP see what incentives they may be able to offer as part of the package! (free servicing, price discount etc)

• Like 1

I was going to ask.. what are you getting on mpg in the real world? Lexus on the website says around 50mpg but every review I read they are saying it is more like 35mpg… for a hybrid I was thinking that kinda sucks.. but I guess the car is really big. 

Also I think the EV mode on the hybrid is only good for about 1 mile driving before petrol engine is needed I was reading.. 

1 hour ago, JA1985 said:

I was going to ask.. what are you getting on mpg in the real world? Lexus on the website says around 50mpg but every review I read they are saying it is more like 35mpg… for a hybrid I was thinking that kinda sucks.. but I guess the car is really big. 

Also I think the EV mode on the hybrid is only good for about 1 mile driving before petrol engine is needed I was reading.. 

The newer WLTP figures are realistic, not the older published ones

FUEL CONSUMPTION (WLTP†) Combined mpg (l/100km):           AWD - 36.6 (7.7) - 37.1 (7.6)                         FWD - 39.7 (7.1) - 39.7 (7.1)

Forced EV drive mode is really only designed for moving a vehicle in/out of a garage/driveway, if you use it in normal driving you will likely get worse mpg than if you let the system sort itself out.

When driving the vehicle will go in and out of EV mode by itself when it is optimal for it to do so.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, JA1985 said:

Don’t forget it is an Hybrid, not a PHEV. 90% of the time it will also only manage up to 30-35mph in EV mode on a flat surface.

On the plus side, the hybrid Battery does recharge very quickly.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JA1985 said:

Over my 4 years with the NX300h (31497 miles)I recorded an overall fuel consumption of c42mpg. That is on the basis of brim to brim refuelling and recording mileage at each refill. My best was 46.04mpg (achieved in August 2021 and worst 30.48mpg (February 2021). As you see there is a marked increase in consumption over the winter months.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Ken R said:

Over my 4 years with the NX300h (31497 miles)I recorded an overall fuel consumption of c42mpg. That is on the basis of brim to brim refuelling and recording mileage at each refill. My best was 46.04mpg (achieved in August 2021 and worst 30.48mpg (February 2021). As you see there is a marked increase in consumption over the winter months.

A great informative post Kenny, thanks.👍👍

Thanks @Ken R

i went today to Lexus in Guildford and test drove a NX300H 2020 Premium Pack. 

It was really good the drive and very much enjoyed the car! The car had on it 37mpg so looks quite good. 

I am still in two minds though.. the price is holding me back. It’s around £34k for it and the dealer wouldn’t offer any price reduction or freebies at all. It was ‘this is the price, and that is that’. I guess it’s cause the used car market is so popular right now they know they can sell it without issues. 

The only thing holding me back now is thinking if I should wait a year for the used car market to fall in prices again, but I guess this could be a gamble either way. 

Also the car I test drove didn’t have the heads up display or 360 camera etc.. I think that is only the Premier spec. This was a CVT with Premium Pack. 

I am now thinking over my options… 😀

30 minutes ago, JA1985 said:

I am still in two minds though.. the price is holding me back. It’s around £34k for it and the dealer wouldn’t offer any price reduction or freebies at all. It was ‘this is the price, and that is that’. I guess it’s cause the used car market is so popular right now they know they can sell it without issues. 

Have you looked at the Lexus website to see if the price is competitive? I've purchased vehicles from Nottingham, Oxford, Exeter and Ipswich to get a better deal. I only got my wife's UX from Guildford because it was an ex. Toyota/Lexus car that had a set price on so a Surrey tax wasn't added.

2 hours ago, JA1985 said:

Thanks @Ken R

i went today to Lexus in Guildford and test drove a NX300H 2020 Premium Pack. 

It was really good the drive and very much enjoyed the car! The car had on it 37mpg so looks quite good. 

The only thing holding me back now is thinking if I should wait a year for the used car market to fall in prices again, but I guess this could be a gamble either way. 

Also the car I test drove didn’t have the heads up display or 360 camera etc.. I think that is only the Premier spec. This was a CVT with Premium Pack. 

I am now thinking over my options… 😀

Glad you liked the car but now your big decision! I personally think that whilst used car prices appear to be levelling off they will probably remain high for the next year or so and certainly until the availability of new cars improves. Also think your possible purchase is competitively priced however surprised that there were no incentives offered to seal a deal. Do you have a trade in to P/ex?

The PCP will lock in a GFV which dealers/finance Co will have predicted based upon current conditions and what the future may hold so if prices should tumble you will have the comfort of knowing that this figure isn't affected and reducing the gamble.

You are correct in stating that it was only the Premier models that had the HUD and 360 camera and these are relatively rare.

Shop around and I am sure you will find the car you are looking for.

Good luck🤞 

• Like 1

I recently bought a 2019 F Sport with Takumi pack for £32K after my order for an NX350 got pushed back to June 23. I am so pleased with the 300h l have now cancelled my order for the NX350. The Takumi pack has the HUD, surround cameras and pan roof. The surround cameras are absolutely superb and well worth searching out. None of these options would have been fitted to the NX350 l ordered with premium pack. One thing mine has which l have not seen on any other 300h is the wheel arches are body coloured instead of the usual grey plastic and this really makes the car stand out from the rest of the pack. I am not sure if they were optional or not but either way not many if any seem to have them. Personally l think the interior of the 300h is much better quality and better looking that the new NX . Mine has done 30K and l expect to keep it for at least the next 2-3 years. Good luck in your search.

37 minutes ago, Mike0811 said:

I recently bought a 2019 F Sport with Takumi pack for £32K after my order for an NX350 got pushed back to June 23. I am so pleased with the 300h l have now cancelled my order for the NX350. The Takumi pack has the HUD, surround cameras and pan roof. The surround cameras are absolutely superb and well worth searching out. None of these options would have been fitted to the NX350 l ordered with premium pack. One thing mine has which l have not seen on any other 300h is the wheel arches are body coloured instead of the usual grey plastic and this really makes the car stand out from the rest of the pack. I am not sure if they were optional or not but either way not many if any seem to have them. Personally l think the interior of the 300h is much better quality and better looking that the new NX . Mine has done 30K and l expect to keep it for at least the next 2-3 years. Good luck in your search.

Mike, any chance of a photo of the body coloured wheel arches please ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike0811 said:

One thing mine has which l have not seen on any other 300h is the wheel arches are body coloured instead of the usual grey plastic and this really makes the car stand out from the rest of the pack. I am not sure if they were optional or not but either way not many if any seem to have them.

They were optional in Japan, so either these have been ordered from there or the original ones have been painted. The option wasn't available in the UK.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links