Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all.

This isn't actually a problem, but just a mod I'd like to do.

All new cars now have the headlights turn on when the engine is running.

I think it's a good safety thing, so I thought I'd look at making a mod so my car would do the same.

I did think it would be easy. I was looking at fitting a solenoid in parallel to the car's headlight solenoid. Unfortunately it's not that simple.

When I tried this it was causing a buzzing noise inside the car. Not sure from where, but obviously there was an issue.

Has anyone done this mod to their car or know of a way to carry it out?

9 minutes ago, Dingus said:

Hi all.

This isn't actually a problem, but just a mod I'd like to do.

All new cars now have the headlights turn on when the engine is running.

I think it's a good safety thing, so I thought I'd look at making a mod so my car would do the same.

I did think it would be easy. I was looking at fitting a solenoid in parallel to the car's headlight solenoid. Unfortunately it's not that simple.

When I tried this it was causing a buzzing noise inside the car. Not sure from where, but obviously there was an issue.

I just switch my dipped headlamps on at nil cost in expense,time or effort.

I commend the idea to you Jon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Dingus said:

Most cars that use dipped headlamps as DRLs do so by dropping the voltage from 12V to 6V. I really don't like that idea so I fitted completely separate DRLs to my RX300 when I had it and that is very simple to do, using just one relay.

The DRLs should only come on with the ignition and they must go off when you turn on the sidelights/headlights and the wiring diagram below shows how to wire the relay to achieve that.

2131153950_1relaydrls.thumb.jpg.8757741a37f65fb7d54f7b0c4b01282d.jpg

Of course, it doesn't answer your question if you really want to use the existing headlamps but I think separate DRLs are best anyway. I used combined 'switchback' LEDs for mine:

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

I just switch my dipped headlamps on at nil cost in expense,time or effort.

I commend the idea to you Jon.

+1 That's what I do also.

I quite like that the back lights are on as well.

If drivers on the other side of the road are driving into low Winter sun, I put my headlights on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Herbie said:

Most cars that use dipped headlamps as DRLs do so by dropping the voltage from 12V to 6V. I really don't like that idea so I fitted completely separate DRLs to my RX300 when I had it and that is very simple to do, using just one relay.

The DRLs should only come on with the ignition and they must go off when you turn on the sidelights/headlights and the wiring diagram below shows how to wire the relay to achieve that.

2131153950_1relaydrls.thumb.jpg.8757741a37f65fb7d54f7b0c4b01282d.jpg

Of course, it doesn't answer your question if you really want to use the existing headlamps but I think separate DRLs are best anyway. I used combined 'switchback' LEDs for mine:

Drl`s don`t illuminate the rear lights,do they Herb ?

2 hours ago, Herbie said:

Not sure it's a clear cut as that? Depending on whether the drl also acts as positional light and some drl  don't go off but dim as the headlight comes on? 

40 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Not sure it's a clear cut as that? Depending on whether the drl also acts as positional light and some drl  don't go off but dim as the headlight comes on? 

You could be right Peter but if the DRLs are also acting as front positional lights, then this would be something that was done at the factory, not as a modification later, so maybe there are different rules for that?

2 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Drl`s don`t illuminate the rear lights,do they Herb ?

23 minutes ago, Herbie said:

No they don't John, only the fronts.

Or can they?? :confused1:...

"In general all other lights should remain off when the DRL are on but for a limited period some vehicles may be available which automatically activate the rear position lamps at the same time as the DRL."

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/daytime-running-lights/daytime-running-lights

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Or can they?? :confused1:...

"In general all other lights should remain off when the DRL are on but for a limited period some vehicles may be available which automatically activate the rear position lamps at the same time as the DRL."

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/daytime-running-lights/daytime-running-lights

When DRL`s were introduced they only were visible from the front of the car. They were introduced as an idea by Volvo and a Euro Directive incorporated them into car production and everyone did not give any thought to the rear of the vehicle as they were to assist pedestrians who were in front of the car.

In recent times it was recognised that many ignorant drivers were using DRL`s as a substitute for vehicle lighting -a practice for which they were not designed and so some manufacturers linked them to rear lighting.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

When DRL`s were introduced they only were visible from the front of the car. They were introduced as an idea by Volvo and a Euro Directive incorporated them into car production and everyone did not give any thought to the rear of the vehicle as they were to assist pedestrians who were in front of the car.

In recent times it was recognised that many ignorant drivers were using DRL`s as a substitute for vehicle lighting -a practice for which they were not designed and so some manufacturers linked them to rear lighting.

With regards to other drivers the prime intention is head-on approach awareness as closing speed is far greater than approach from the rear. There's also the potential for confusion with brake lights when the rears are illuminated.

One cannot regulate for stupid. Speaking of which I had the pleasure this morning at 05:45, in the misty darkness, of witnessing  an approaching single large light that turned out to be a car with no lights except the one functioning nearside headlamp. No positional lamps, no rear lamps or brake lights ...

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

With regards to other drivers the prime intention is head-on approach awareness as closing speed is far greater than approach from the rear. There's also the potential for confusion with brake lights when the rears are illuminated.

One cannot regulate for stupid. Speaking of which I had the pleasure this morning at 05:45, in the misty darkness, of witnessing  an approaching single large light that turned out to be a car with no lights except the one functioning nearside headlamp. No positional lamps, no rear lamps or brake lights ...

Not like you Peter, to stay out so late.🤣🤣

Seriously there is no accounting for the actions and inactions of idiots. I am constanly reminded that the Highway Code is wasted on an inumerable number of so called drivers.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links