Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

"S" on Shifter vs "S" on button

The S on the shifter will put the e-CVT transmission into simulated manual transmission, where one can use the paddles to 'change gear'.

The eco/drive/sport selector changes the drive mode altering the suspension stiffness, the throttle response and the steering speed.

Using the paddles when not using the S on the shifter simply increases/decreases the engine braking response

All detailed in the handbook, well worth the read

https://www.lexus.co.uk/customer/manuals?hideNav=true&hideFooter=true

12 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

The S on the shifter will put the e-CVT transmission into simulated manual transmission, where one can use the paddles to 'change gear'.

The eco/drive/sport selector changes the drive mode altering the suspension stiffness, the throttle response and the steering speed.

Using the paddles when not using the S on the shifter simply increases/decreases the engine braking response

All detailed in the handbook, well worth the read

https://www.lexus.co.uk/customer/manuals?hideNav=true&hideFooter=true

paddles with shifter in S, acceleration and engine braking force 
paddles with shifter in D, engine braking force

The driving experience in both paddle modes simulates having a manual trans with paddle shift.

Thanks to you both for the explanation: the manual was correct, but presented poorly: good to have a direct comparison from you both.  I am not sure I can ever be bothered with the S shift: I presume that and the selector makes no difference while on electric only mode, but I cannot resist giving it a go!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, AlanDL said:

Thanks to you both for the explanation: the manual was correct, but presented poorly: good to have a direct comparison from you both.  I am not sure I can ever be bothered with the S shift: I presume that and the selector makes no difference while on electric only mode, but I cannot resist giving it a go!

I have the previous NX.
yes it's "cool" to have the sports "manual" shifters, and the car does respond well to using them.
But, at the end of the day they are a bit of a gimmick / fun, and you end up just leaving car in D and leisurely cruising. After all it is not a sports car.

Well, that's been my experience.

• Like 2

Yes the car is actually faster in just S (on the dial) and then plant your right foot rather than trying to do the simulated gears. The best use for the simulated gears in my experience is getting the car ready to overtake (so having the engine spooled up) but even that is only very minor over a good shove on the accelerator (i.e. past the detent). Or just use the simulated gears to have a play around with if you are bored. 

The user manual, though technically correct regards D and S, is poorly written. When some of the motoring journalists slated the simulated gears it's clear they had not read or not understood the user manual...!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlanDL said:

Manual is a mess. Translated from Japanese to whatever with Google Translate. Or so it seems.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

Yes the car is actually faster in just S (on the dial) and then plant your right foot rather than trying to do the simulated gears. The best use for the simulated gears in my experience is getting the car ready to overtake (so having the engine spooled up) but even that is only very minor over a good shove on the accelerator (i.e. past the detent). Or just use the simulated gears to have a play around with if you are bored. 

The user manual, though technically correct regards D and S, is poorly written. When some of the motoring journalists slated the simulated gears it's clear they had not read or not understood the user manual...!

I use the "spooling up" technique often.
There's a stretch of straight country road on a regular route of mine which goes from 20mph to national.
I potter about at 19-ish mph, then just before the national sign it's a flip of the shifter to S, paddle down to 2, wait for the inevitable Bavarian bully / Road Rage Rover driver or Van-Man start to try and see what's on my back seat, then WHOOSH.

I love the look on their faces. Childish I know, but my commute is so, so boring.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

Manual is a mess. Translated from Japanese to whatever with Google Translate. Or so it seems.

I find it quite easy to read, but then again in my industry being fluent in Japglish and Chinglish is almost mandatory.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links