Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake pedal stuck up when trying to start

My brake pedal stuck up when trying to start car. I had been sitting in car for aprox 30 mins and went to start car, tried a number of things but no luck. eventually after about 5 mins the brake pedal released and I was able to start car

Any advice appreciated as to cause

Can you explain what do you mean by "stuck"? Like you can't press it down? Or it is stuck down and you can't pull it-up? Seems like mechanical issue with the pedal, or something is preventing it from being pressed. I mean even if there would be an issue with master cylinder, then it would still be kind of spongy/hard to press, but not completely stuck. 

• Like 1

Brake peddle was stuck in the up position and cannot be depressed cleared after 5min using key and locking car.

Could this be a security device as i was depressing buttons etc and reading manual for about 30min

No, there is no such security feature. Has to be mechanically damaged. Was it just very hard to press or completely not moving?

Because if you have issues with brake system, master cylinder, air in lines, water in fluid or vacuum leak etc. It could be hard to press all the way, but I never seen or heard of one where you can't depress it at all. That is unusual. 

It is possible to "pump" the brake, that is press it multiple times with engine off until it becomes firm (basically you use vacuum stored in brake booster until it is gone), but I doubt it could happen by accident and even then you will still be able to depress the brake, just going to be very hard as it basically unassisted (no "boosted") at that time. 

Absolutely as above and get it to a garage before going Anywhere else as you may be the cause of an accident. Preferably get it towed. 

I too haven't heard of such an issue. 

• Like 1

!00% agree fix brake.

However I Googled problem and it came up with clublexus.com forum stated that this was common issue with several Lexus & Toyoto and is age related issue. it is a problem with check valve on brake booster leaking and dose not affect the car braking once the engine is started. Some people had replaced Brake Booster (expensive), Flushed Brake Fluid, replaced Check Valve or just living with it and stump on brake an the few occasions that starting problem happen. Another solution was replace Battery cannot see how this is connected but made me check my Battery only 60% so have replaced it. Next step will be to replace Check Valve if I have problem again or do it for peace of mind.

No not anything  to  do with lock switch as far as i know. This week i unlocked car with key in jacket pocket, then decided i needed another jacket so went inside hours leaving key in house, returned to car and tried to start. peddle locked up when I pressed Start button. returned with key peddle still stuck up put pressure on peddle and start button engine fired up. Also read page 47 Owners Manual cause the engine immobilizer system to malfunction is having the grip portion of the key in contact with a metal object. At the time I first experienced problem I did have bunched of keys in my pocket with car key.

Happy I know cause, brakes working  !00% 😄

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links