Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus 2002 SC 430 Water Ingress Drivers Footwell

Graham Wilkinson

Further to previous posts on this matter,the misting up issue I-have now found is due to water ingress getting onto the footwell floor and being soaked up by the carpet and mat.I have read posts re ingress on the front passenger side but not the drivers side.I will clean and treat all door gaskets as some of you have kindly advised.If any member has had and rectified this type of water ingress your advise would be much appreciated.

On other matters I had the full service on my Lexus almost 2 weeks ago at Lexus in Preston.Found the experience to be very professional and 20% discount was applied.In addition they have a guy who can clean off the hazing on the front headlights,this worked well and cost an additional 60 pounds.

Although the car has a 12 month MOT on the to do list is an off side front upper ball joint,cam belt replacement and new exhaust.My priority is to fix the water ingress to the front off side footwell and any help with this would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks Graham Wilkinson.

• Like 1

A few days ago after heavy rain a couple of drops of water fell into the car when I opened the door. They seemed to drop from the rubber seal above the driver's side window. Yours may be similar. I will spray some silicone lubricant onto the rubber to keep it supple. 

On 11/1/2022 at 8:59 PM, Graham Wilkinson said:

Further to previous posts on this matter,the misting up issue I-have now found is due to water ingress getting onto the footwell floor and being soaked up by the carpet and mat.I have read posts re ingress on the front passenger side but not the drivers side.I will clean and treat all door gaskets as some of you have kindly advised.If any member has had and rectified this type of water ingress your advise would be much appreciated.

On other matters I had the full service on my Lexus almost 2 weeks ago at Lexus in Preston.Found the experience to be very professional and 20% discount was applied.In addition they have a guy who can clean off the hazing on the front headlights,this worked well and cost an additional 60 pounds.

Although the car has a 12 month MOT on the to do list is an off side front upper ball joint,cam belt replacement and new exhaust.My priority is to fix the water ingress to the front off side footwell and any help with this would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks Graham Wilkinson.

Hello Graham ,

I have successfully fixed wet carpet water leaks on both my previous 2003 and facelift 2006 SC vehicles .

Two fixes, first is relatively easy, run a bead of RTV sealer across the roof rubber seal…. roof open ..run sealer between the rubber and metal frame (clean ...dry first).

Second fix ..remover sun visors and all trim around the screen (interior lamp ,trim etc). Run sealer between metal frame and rubber seal, this must be a continuous line and includes talking the roof securing catches off.

I done both 1st and 2nd fixes on both cars at the same time , but do 1st fix and see what happens .

Only upside is the carpets are plastic backed so water (should) stay in the foot well and not down to the metal floor.

A test you can do first is to remove A pillar trim from sides of screen and mark the inside with kids coloured chalk, than next time it rains…if the chalk has washed away it’s coming from the screen header rail as described above 👍🏻

of course if the rubber is split or hanging off, then it’s replacement time 😳

• Like 1

Graham,

Bobs first fix of running a bead of RTV sealer between the front of the rubber and the metal cured mine.

When I’d done that I opened the roof and poured water carefully onto the rubber seal and made sure it run out the bottom of the sill under the door.

• Like 2

Hi Graham

It may be like the water ingess problem I had into my boot. Lexus use either double sided tape or something equally sticky on the flange and then put the rubber seal on. When the seal was disturbed on my car, it was then that the problem started.

The ns drain tube being partially blocked probably didn't help either!

Good luck with it

Anthony

18 minutes ago, Lexiguy said:

Hi Graham

It may be like the water ingess problem I had into my boot. Lexus use either double sided tape or something equally sticky on the flange and then put the rubber seal on. When the seal was disturbed on my car, it was then that the problem started.

The ns drain tube being partially blocked probably didn't help either!

Good luck with it

Anthony

High level 3rd brake light housing is a common boot leak , remove liner, unbolt lamp  and reseal 👍🏻

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bob King said:

High level 3rd brake light housing is a common boot leak , remove liner, unbolt lamp  and reseal 👍🏻

Bob, would that be the cause of me sometimes seeing droplets of water settled on the pull out cover in the boot under the lid 🤔🤔

If water was coming in through the 3rd brake light housing, I would have thought it would just soak into the liner which is fixed to the boot lid but not come through 🤔🤔

1 hour ago, Russ59 said:

Bob, would that be the cause of me sometimes seeing droplets of water settled on the pull out cover in the boot under the lid 🤔🤔

If water was coming in through the 3rd brake light housing, I would have thought it would just soak into the liner which is fixed to the boot lid but not come through 🤔🤔

Water would run around the edge of the liner, so gravity I guess would sent it to the back of your boot lid or maybe to the sides .

Worth resealing when you get time 👍🏻

• Like 2

Hi Graham, this is very long shot, but I had the same problem years ago, with a brand new Alfa GTV, it took months of going backwards and forwards to the dealer, they couldn't fix it. They thought it was a problem with the windscreen washers, then they resealed the windscreen, meanwhile I was growing mushrooms in my ps footwell. I finally got a friend to look at it and it was an AC leak into the footwell behind the glovebox. Fixed instantly by redirecting the pipe. 

• Like 1

my freind had a mini conv that ran water into the car like a fall turned out to be a poorly fitted replacment screen (fitter said when they fitted screen they pushed it into place and the bonding was too low ) sealed it binjo !

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links