Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Remote start & warmup for winter.

15 hours ago, Harrier Man said:

Last few days have been interesting! Charging flap wouldn't open due to ice build up. Charging flap wouldn't close due to snow build up overnight as car was charging and then compressing into ice in the well where the hinge would normally tuck into, preventing the door from closing. Now have a tooth brush as part of my anti-icing kit to sweep out the snow and ice.

In cold conditions, I applauded the pre-heating of the cabin but not so enthusiastic now its got colder. The preheating will only stay on for a maximum of 20 minutes and that hasn't been enough to clear the windows of snow and ice, even the wipers have been left firmly welded to the screen. I have no problem clearing the snow and ice the old-fashioned way but I had expected more. Okay, so these conditions won't last that long and I would rather the car looked after its health long-term than burning something because of my impatience out but if I lived in Canada, Norway, etc where frequent spells of very cold snow and ice was the norm, I'd be feeling very let down by the design flaws right now.

Could you not start the preheat again after 20 minutes?

35 minutes ago, Mattsneaker said:

Well this morning it was -7 deg C, ice on my IS300h. I just sat in the car, engine on, heating on, demist on, front screen airflow selected. After about 12 minutes I was safely driving my toasty car with all windows clear. I would have expected a '22 NX to do the same in under 20 minutes using the remote heating functions.

Edited by imgo
phone crashed during edit
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Mattsneaker said:

Sadly it won't let me although obviously there will be a point when I can use it again. I've even tried putting it on for 10 minutes, leaving it a quarter of an hour and then turning it on for 20 minutes. It wasn't fooled!

7 hours ago, imgo said:

Well this morning it was -7 deg C, ice on my IS300h. I just sat in the car, engine on, heating on, demist on, front screen airflow selected. After about 12 minutes I was safely driving my toasty car with all windows clear. I would have expected a '22 NX to do the same in under 20 minutes using the remote heating functions.

With the engine running, defrosting and warming is indeed very quick, especially if electric pre-heating has been used before hand. The electric pre-heating works in a different way, the electric heat pump just isn't as powerful as ICE heating even when connected to the mains charger. This can also be evident if I set off in electric mode; in these cold temperatures, the ICE will sometimes kick in to give the heating levels that I have set. This isn't a criticism, just part of the design and the compromise between electric and ICE.

This is a disappointment for me.  This time of year, at 16:45 each weekday evening I used to smugly announce to the office that I was turning on the pre-heat in my 67 plate BMW 330e before slipping behind the wheel in the rather flimsy corporate polo shirt. Now it's full on 3 layers...or maybe I'm just getting older and I feel the cold more!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links