Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Remote start & warmup for winter.

You need to buy a plug-in hybrid (NX450h+)

Unless you park your vehicle on private land, leaving an unattended car with the internal combustion engine running is an offence. In fact leaving the ICE idling anywhere can be considered an offence.

Different in North America, where Lexus models come with remote start as standard

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, JayKayWolves said:

Does anyone with an NX300h (2019) in the UK have a solution for remote startup and warming up the vehicle in the winter? It’s the only thing missing off my vehicle & it would be a game changer! 

You live in the West Midlands, not Alaska :rolleyes1:

Switch the heated seats on as soon as you get in so that you're getting heat straight away, then within five minutes the heater will be pumping out hot air.

• Like 2

What Herbs says. By the time you have scraped the ice from the screen the seat will be toasty. If you have it, switch on the heated steering wheel as well 👍

My routine is to start the car, switch on the heated rear screen and mirrors, switch on the heated seat and steering wheel, get out and remove the frost from the front and side screens by which time the rear screen is clearing and the seat and wheel are warm.

Not experienced frost yet in my RX but am expecting the climate concierge to automatically switch on the seat 😎

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Living here in the still EU control UK granny state I can’t configure my rather expensive car to warmup and defrost the glass before I climb into it with my kids on the school run during the winter! I love my NX and so does the family, the remote climate control would’ve been the icing on the cake, but how dare we wish for such a thing!?!

7 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

What Herbs says. By the time you have scraped the ice from the screen the seat will be toasty. If you have it, switch on the heated steering wheel as well 👍

My routine is to start the car, switch on the heated rear screen and mirrors, switch on the heated seat and steering wheel, get out and remove the frost from the front and side screens by which time the rear screen is clearing and the seat and wheel are warm.

Not experienced frost yet in my RX but am expecting the climate concierge to automatically switch on the seat 😎

I have a fully loaded ‘premier’ model NX with heated everything, but still have to get the scrapper out, how dare I wish for the convenience of remote climate control, I hang my head in shame. (The climate concierge thing just sounds like another half way gimmick)

26 minutes ago, Herbie said:

You live in the West Midlands, not Alaska :rolleyes1:

Switch the heated seats on as soon as you get in so that you're getting heat straight away, then within five minutes the heater will be pumping out hot air.

So remote climate control is only available in Alaska? I have a young family and a busy life, should I not wish for the convenience of a Lexus that’s warm and defrosted before we head out on the school run? We love the NX but now I’m wondering if I made a mistake with that lack of remote access / control & a all wheel drive system that apparently struggles on mud let alone ice and snow!?

1 hour ago, JayKayWolves said:

So remote climate control is only available in Alaska? I have a young family and a busy life, should I not wish for the convenience of a Lexus that’s warm and defrosted before we head out on the school run? We love the NX but now I’m wondering if I made a mistake with that lack of remote access / control & a all wheel drive system that apparently struggles on mud let alone ice and snow!?

Get the kids big coats and tell 'em to walk to school like I used to, in all weathers. When I was a kid my bedroom used to have ice on the inside, let alone the outside, and no such thing as being taken to school in a pre-heated car.

Far too much mollycoddling these days :laughing:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, Herbie said:

Get the kids big coats and tell 'em to walk to school like I used to, in all weathers. When I was a kid my bedroom used to have ice on the inside, let alone the outside, and no such thing as being taken to school in a pre-heated car.

Far too much mollycoddling these days :laughing:

And I thought it was only me who had ice on the inside of my bedroom window!, the joys of living in a council house in the early 70's with no central heating and just a single 3 bar electric fire in the lounge. 

I also remember walking over a mile to infant school in the snow that was deeper than my wellies. If you weren't dead, you went to school. The best years of our lives as they say !

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I know a Tesla has this facility to pre warm itself so guess other EV’s do as well.

Why should a Hybrid not have it then if the Battery has enough stored charge ?

Ford have had heated windscreens for decades so why these are not now fitted to most cars I do not know (or maybe they are ?)

10 hours ago, JayKayWolves said:

now I’m wondering if I made a mistake with that lack of remote access / control & a all wheel drive system that apparently struggles on mud let alone ice and snow!?

The way I read your posts on this subject the more it appears that you are moaning about the fact that you failed to do sufficient research to ensure that you purchased a car that fitted your needs. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I've got my NX450h+ set to heat up 10 mins before I'm due to take the little one to the child minder in the morning, and it's really useful. 

Lovely getting in with the seat and steering wheel nice and warm, and all the windows clear!

Haven't got to ice yet, so I unsure on that scenario!

Took delivery of NX350h Premium Plus pack 2 weeks ago. Thought I would try remote heating of interior via the Lexus link app. I did however only attempt to heat the steering wheel and to my surprise it worked. Car stays locked throughout the process, ICE starts and stops as required.

I am a little confused about using the app to remotely pre-heat / cool the cabin. 

Can someone confirm what features the 450h has and what features the 350h has. 

On the NX350h,  you can turn on (as per the diagram) any or all of the following via the app:

Heated rear window

Front window demister

Driver and/or Passenger heated seats

Steering wheel

Not sure if it cools/heats the cabin itself as I did not wait long enough to find out, but as the ICE is intermittently running, I guess it will.

Screenshot_20221119-150609_Lexus Link.jpg

Many thanks for the info Brian. As I am not due to take delivery of my NX350h until sometime next year (who knows), I can't see what the app could control.

On 11/15/2022 at 7:04 AM, VFR said:

I know a Tesla has this facility to pre warm itself so guess other EV’s do as well.

One of the many benefits of an EV but seldom mentioned: Pre-heat (or cool in summer) the car either on demand using the app or via a schedule if you always leave the house at a certain time.

You can also leave the aircon running with the doors locked in "dog mode" so the car stays at a safe temp while you leave your dog for a few minutes in summer. (I'm a little wary of this feature so have only used while travelling alone and desperate for the toilet.)

What is the Tesla “Dog mode”?. With this functionality, it ...

• Like 2

I can confirm it heats up and clears the windows, you can set the temp to your own needs, the heated steering wheel is very nice, better than in my Volvo s90 which I put down to the leather steering wheel.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links