Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Uneven tyre wear and bushes

Hi Guys

I have a 2014 Lexus IS300H Premier with 24,000 miles on the clock. It has the standard 18 inch alloys with different tyre sizes for the rear and front.

I had a 4 wheel hunter laser alignment done 12 months ago by a local place not because of tyre wear or anything else, i do this when i purchase a car.

Anyway i went for a MOT yesterday and all 4 tyres are wearing out unevenly. The rears are wearing out on the inner edges and the fronts are wearing out on the outer edges. The tyre pressue is checked by me every few weeks.

I have done many searches and apparently its an issue with the way Lexus has designed the suspension. The bushes were all fine on the MOT.

What bushes do i need to replace to fix this issue and what do i tell the tyre alignment guys in what settings to use for the camber/toe or whatever it is?

Secondly i now have to replace all 4 tyres but can i use the same tyres for all 4 wheels rather than have 2 different sizes front and rear? If i can use the same tyre size what size do you reccomend, i dont mind a bit more comfort, i only use my car for work which is a 4 mile journey in town, im not fussed about handling or looks, i would rather have more comfort. I dont drive fast or in anger,i normally pootle about at 30mph. I would prefer a larger profile for more comfort.

Nothing wrong.

Its designed this way and you will get inner wear on the rears and outer wear on the fronts. 

You shouldn't use the same tyres front and rear on the 18" wheels are the wheels are different widths.

You can alternatively change to 17" wheels on the Premier which are a square setup

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mr_Groundhog said:

That means on the 17-inch wheels you can swap fronts and rears after a few thousand miles, no?

If they're the same then I would think so.

Personally, I've never understood the wheel rotation thing to get even wear across all four tyres, as I'd rather be replacing 2 tyres at a time than the cost of replacing all four in one go.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mr_Groundhog said:

That means on the 17-inch wheels you can swap fronts and rears after a few thousand miles, no?

Yes as they are the same size front and back.

As mentioned though it is better to atleast have 2 tyres at 6mm and 2 tyres at 3mm than having all 4 tyres at 3.5mm

I have  a 60,000 mile Lexus 300h, I  am getting approximately 12,000 miles on a tyre before it needs replacing, I  have Bridgestone S001 R17. Is this normal or should I change the make of the tyre 

• 1 month later...

As said in another thread, because of all this I have sourced in the lower front arm bushings of the Lexus GS-F (supposedly stiffer but still OEM and compatible) and currently looking for a good garage that would fit them + wheel align... I think I have found one, but not sure yet. Most don't want to install anything you bring to them!

What did you end up doing @Rxv667 ?

Hi,

To be honest i have been looking at 17" alloys for a bit more comort. I came across some adjustable arms for the rear, i think i read this on some American forum. Did not look into it any further.......will when i get a chance.

Please do keep us updated with how you get on with the GS-F bushings.

On 1/10/2023 at 3:05 PM, Rxv667 said:

Hi,

To be honest i have been looking at 17" alloys for a bit more comort. I came across some adjustable arms for the rear, i think i read this on some American forum. Did not look into it any further.......will when i get a chance.

Please do keep us updated with how you get on with the GS-F bushings.

Thanks!
I ordered the GS-F bushings and they should arrive end of the month from Japan.... in the meantime I booked the car at the garage early Feb... fingers crossed.
Will report back.
I think I saw the adjustable parts for the rear but they were quite pricey.... upwards of 300 USD, and I'm spending quite a bit of money on this car as it is (I ended up buying one that was slightly above my budget).... but would be very curious to hear how it goes if you do fit them.

• 1 year later...
On 12/1/2022 at 11:05 PM, Digifant said:

I think I even seen in owners manual a note where Lexus recommends to change front tyres with sides at every oil change to make less tyre wear problem.

That's in the manual for just about every car I have owned, but it's never done as part of the service and something I have never done.

I think the only advantage may be if you are a low mileage driver and don't want to end up changing tyres because they are aged and cracked rather than worn.

On 2/9/2024 at 7:34 AM, Spock66 said:

That's in the manual for just about every car I have owned, but it's never done as part of the service and something I have never done.

I think the only advantage may be if you are a low mileage driver and don't want to end up changing tyres because they are aged and cracked rather than worn.

I have never rotated tyres - I do around 15k miles a year and have 17" wheels. There is slight inner wear at the rears and slight outer wear on the fronts which is as designed setup for rear wheel drive cars (have had the same on many other cars). I generally replace tyres when they are at the tread wear indicator (3mm) around the centre main tread but at that point the rear inner wear and front outer wear still isn't excessive. I have now done 143k miles in the car and the wear patterns have been consistent over all of that time. Also consistent is tyre replacements over that time. I always replace the rears every 20k miles and the fronts every 40k miles. 

On 2/9/2024 at 1:54 AM, brucetan said:

Hi, I own a 2013 lexus IS 300h
Where did you order your bushing? would like to get those replaced too. 

Hi there, I got them in Amayama and they didn't take long to arrive. I'm pretty sure you can also get them from Megazip.

In this video you can see the right Lexus/Toyota part numbers to order 🙂

• Like 1

On 1/11/2023 at 4:22 PM, Mr_Groundhog said:

Thanks!
I ordered the GS-F bushings and they should arrive end of the month from Japan.... in the meantime I booked the car at the garage early Feb... fingers crossed.
Will report back.
I think I saw the adjustable parts for the rear but they were quite pricey.... upwards of 300 USD, and I'm spending quite a bit of money on this car as it is (I ended up buying one that was slightly above my budget).... but would be very curious to hear how it goes if you do fit them.

Great! Keep us posted on how it goes. What date are you booked in)

8 hours ago, matt8 said:

Great! Keep us posted on how it goes. What date are you booked in)

Haha, that was last year! 😀 The bushes got fitted just fine and the car's steering felt a bit firmer and tighter in a good way. I also had the toe corrected through alignment and so far after a whole year had not problem with uneven tyre wear...

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Mr_Groundhog said:

Haha, that was last year! 😀 The bushes got fitted just fine and the car's steering felt a bit firmer and tighter in a good way. I also had the toe corrected through alignment and so far after a whole year had not problem with uneven tyre wear...

Oh! Misreading the date!

Glad it was a good outcome. Those bushings seem easy to fit in that video. Was it simply changing those, toe correction and done? How much labour were you charged at the garage for fitting the bushings?

Which tyre tracking did you go for out of interest?

On 2/11/2024 at 8:50 PM, matt8 said:

Those bushings seem easy to fit in that video. Was it simply changing those, toe correction and done? How much labour were you charged at the garage for fitting the bushings?

Which tyre tracking did you go for out of interest?

I found a good garage in my region with Hunter alignment that was willing to do it (not all of them do, when you offer to supply the parts b/c they don't get a cut, which is shortsighted as they didn't get my business in the end), and they've been my garage of choice for this type of stuff since (apart from annual service which i do at the dealer to keep Lexus Relax going).

They charged for the labour of fitting the bushings and the alignment and everyone was happy: 1.5 hours (at 85 quid per hour) and a 100 for alignment plus vat were 273 quid in total. This was in January 2023.

I'm leaving you an image of the most recent specs I got from them a few weeks ago (the image shows the before and after) when i went for alignment. I hope it helps.                    

hunter.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links