Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Newbie questions about the RX450 hybrid battery

Picked up a 2011 RX450.  Trying to understand in more detail how this Battery works.

1. Sometimes when I am driving under 20mph I see on the dashboard the Battery with a line to the wheels meaning the Battery is working. Then sometimes it will just switch and the wheel will be charging the Battery even if I have not changed my speed. It seems to be continuosly changing between these two modes.

2. The Battery logo always seems to be about a third on the dashboard. How do I get this Battery logo to full?

3. Is it possible to set it so you are always in electric mode when driving slowly so that I rarely use the fuel?

A question on general understanding:

If I am always driving around towns or in traffic at slow speeds does it mean I can go whole jouneys almost never using the fuel? If so why can't mpg get much beyond the 30 people claim.

Thanks!

1 - the hybrid system will automatically select just ICE/EV assisted/EV only mode depending on many factors (Battery state charge, how warm the cabin is, throttle position, engine load, engine/battery temperatures etc.) - just let it get on with it as in general it is selecting the best mode to use at that particular moment in time.

2 - by design it won't charge the Battery passed 50% so there is always buffer to accept some charge from the regenerative brakes. If you want to get the Battery full then coast down a very long hill/mountain road.

3 - You have the EV button which forces EV driver mode. This is really for moving the vehicle out of a garage or around a car park when you don't want the petrol engine to run. It isn't an efficient mode to be in so you should use it sparingly.

4 - The hybrid Battery is very small (a maximum of 1 or 2 miles range, it isn't an EV). If you run in EV mode for too long the petrol engine has to fire up to recharge the Battery when it gets low.

45 minutes ago, Joebloggs90 said:

Picked up a 2011 RX450.  Trying to understand in more detail how this battery works.

1. Sometimes when I am driving under 20mph I see on the dashboard the battery with a line to the wheels meaning the battery is working. Then sometimes it will just switch and the wheel will be charging the battery even if I have not changed my speed. It seems to be continuosly changing between these two modes.

2. The battery logo always seems to be about a third on the dashboard. How do I get this battery logo to full?

3. Is it possible to set it so you are always in electric mode when driving slowly so that I rarely use the fuel?

A question on general understanding:

If I am always driving around towns or in traffic at slow speeds does it mean I can go whole jouneys almost never using the fuel? If so why can't mpg get much beyond the 30 people claim.

Thanks!

Just to underline the point that Colin and Herbie have made, our RX450's are not electric vehicles, they are hybrids, where the main two jobs of the electric power is to move the car for the first few yards, and it noticeably cuts in when we accelerate hard.  - No matter how slowly you travel in that there London's traffic, your petrol engine will cut in whenever your Battery requires charging - - even if you're standing at the traffic lights.       You'll achieve maximum mpg (which will still be low 30's in winter) with a gentle driving style, and a 'hyper-miling' approach (it's worth looking it up on't'internet)

It's also worth remembering that we're piloting 21/2 tonne of un-aerodynamic truck, so 30+ mpg in town traffic is not a bad result at all

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links