Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2009 GS450H suspected Inverter failure

2 hours ago, hazelnut said:

Techstream gives a B2416 "Height Control Sensor" . sure enough the front height rod is snapped. But where to get replacement? The parts reference indicates a very expensive part...

Lots available on eBay for about £20, like this for instance.

Or this is even better.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, hazelnut said:

So it worked! The replacement inverter fit right in, and the car now starts and drives. Although I swear I can smell burning electrical things from the inverter when I get back from a leisurely drive. 

Did you establish what caused the previous one to blow up? Would be a shame if there's a fault somewhere that caused it, that then takes the replacement inverter out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bluemarlin said:

Did you establish what caused the previous one to blow up? Would be a shame if there's a fault somewhere that caused it, that then takes the replacement inverter out.

Not yet. There was plenty of inverter coolant, and the coolant pump runs quietly. The freeze frame data indicated the failure occurred at 7 Celcius. MOT failed on "pulsating"  brakes all round, the pads look good, so discs must be soiled.  This car is scary fast.

I've been in contact with the P.O. of my GS450h, and the inverter died while he was requesting maximum power leaving a round-about. So I suspect the freeze frame data was reset when it last visited the garage.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hazelnut said:

I've been in contact with the P.O. of my GS450h, and the inverter died while he was requesting maximum power leaving a round-about. So I suspect the freeze frame data was reset when it last visited the garage.

Sounds like it might of shorted and arc-welded itself then. Not the first time I've seen high voltage inverter do that.

Guess the only way to know for sure is to seal it all up and let it run!

14 hours ago, Steven Lockey said:

it all up and let it run!

at some excessive speed and stress mode and then if it's not gone " BANG " then you know the problem's solved  .........  fingers xd !

Good luck

Malc

• 1 year later...
On 12/5/2022 at 7:10 PM, hazelnut said:

I paid some more cash to lexus-tech to use the online manuals (I'd rather just buy a CD if one is available). The DTC troubleshooting led me to check fuse 14 aka IGCT No.2 that feeds the inverter. It was blown. I sustituted with the 7.5A from the interior dome lights, and it blew again. So I guess that is pretty conclusive the inverter is dead.  The inverter coolant bottle was totally full, so not a case of an over-heat event. Seems like the control board has failed one morning.

I don't suppose yuou still have the old inverter? the cast aluminium casing on mine has broken so I need to replace it. Fingers crossed!!

• 2 months later...
On 2/16/2024 at 10:23 AM, Will hybrid said:

I don't suppose yuou still have the old inverter? the cast aluminium casing on mine has broken so I need to replace it. Fingers crossed!!

Yes, I think I do.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links