Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

TPMS reset

MikeRB

Hi

2006. SC430

Can anyone explain what the button does please on the left inside the glovebox and has the Main On and the TPMS icon on it . Should it reset the TPMS after tyre pressures are corrected?    I’ve read it is something to do with a valet locking system but why then does it have the TPMS symbol on it ?

Thanks

Mike

It allows for two sets of wheels to be set. One set button pushed and another not pushed as in winter tyres. It doesn’t reset the TPMS when the pressure changed. On the later models there is s button under the steering column that does reset the TPMS.

• Like 2

I trust Glyn won't mind me answering but what I believe is meant is one can have two sets of four tyres programmed into the TPMS controller. One set would be programmed when the button is pushed in (for example four wheels with summer tyres fitted) and another set programmed when the button is not pushed in (for example four wheels with winter tyres fitted). This then makes it easy to switch between the two sets without having to reprogram but simply press the button in or release it

• Like 3

13 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

I trust Glyn won't mind me answering but what I believe is meant is one can have two sets of four tyres programmed into the TPMS controller. One set would be programmed when the button is pushed in (for example four wheels with summer tyres fitted) and another set programmed when the button is not pushed in (for example four wheels with winter tyres fitted). This then makes it easy to switch between the two sets without having to reprogram but simply press the button in or release it

No problem. That’s exactly what I mean’t but you have explained it much clearer.

• Like 3

It is sometimes a fact that even if you know what all the buttons do and the reset procedure the tpms warning light remains on.

I do think that a warning light is there for a reason and feel unhappy to disconnect it.

That is the current situation with my vehicle and so on Friday, Lexus Leeds will be collecting it to fully resolve the problem.

I am bracing myself for what could be an expensive repair!

I will let you know 😟

Anthony

• Like 1

The diagnosis was a fault in the osf TPMS sensor which was renewed and the system was reset.

Now has no warning light....result!

In the 18months I have owned this car I have had 3 of the 4 sensors renewed. Perhaps they have a lifespan and there time is up, so 1 to go I reckon!

Anthony

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Lexiguy said:

In the 18months I have owned this car I have had 3 of the 4 sensors renewed. Perhaps they have a lifespan and their time is up, so 1 to go I reckon!

If they’ve not been replaced before, then they’ve done well.  Life span of the batteries is regarded as being 5 - 10 years, with an average of seven.

But life expectancy is also dependent on usage, temperature and driving conditions.  This info from a TPMS supplier gives more detail.

TPMS life expectancy is directly related to the number of radio frequency transmissions the sensors make. Driving habits greatly influence the number of RF transmissions a sensor makes in its lifetime. For example: sensors usually transmit when the vehicle is stopped and transmit more often when in motion. Maintaining a constant speed, such as when you're on a highway, reduces the demand on TPMS sensors and allow the sensors to transmit less often. Drivers who often find themselves driving in start-and-stop type traffic will have a greater impact on the vehicles tire pressure monitoring sensors. Weather can also have an impact on tire pressure sensor Battery life. Cold conditions allow batteries to last longer. Warmer conditions take more of a toll on TPMS Battery life.

2 hours ago, LenT said:

If they’ve not been replaced before, then they’ve done well.  Life span of the batteries is regarded as being 5 - 10 years, with an average of seven.

But life expectancy is also dependent on usage, temperature and driving conditions.  This info from a TPMS supplier gives more detail.

Hi Len

Thanks for that lessen in TPMS systems and what alters their lifespan.

Perhaps it should be included as a workshop topic for the SC430 weekend next June. 

Anthony 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links