Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Rumbling steering noise when starting the car from cold and turning the wheel

Hi, when I start our Lexus RX450h, especially during colder weather, and I turn the wheel fully to one side or the other to leave the parking lot, I get a rumbling noise (NOT screeching) from the steering connector, which shakes the car. This initial noise and shaking has become longer and more pronounced over the past few months. After I straighten the wheel and carry on driving the noise disappears and when I turn later as part of my journey the noise is no longer there. It has been difficult to show the noise to a mechanic because when I arrive at the garage, the car is already warm and there is no noise. 

Can someone please advise what I should do? Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Nick2013 said:

Can someone please advise what I should do?

Are you covered by the Relax warranty?

If so I would suggest leaving the vehicle with your Lexus dealer so they can try and replicate the issue from a cold start.

From the symptoms you describe it would suggest you have a problem with the power steering.

• Like 2

I used to get this on my RX, it was more prominent if the car was put away wet or it was damp

It only happened during the initial turn to full lock so I put it down to crabbing due to damp bushes somewhere in the steering components. 

As you mentioned, it only happens once during each initial manoeuvre so it didn’t concern me

Thanks All. The question is what should I do about it? I had a service recently and he told me not to worry about it and if I wanted to do something about it, I should replace the steering rack. Does everyone agree that the problem is in the steering rack and that it should be replaced? Thanks!

2 hours ago, Nick2013 said:

Does everyone agree that the problem is in the steering rack and that it should be replaced?

Nope, I think that would be money down the drain at this stage without a definitive root cause identified.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nick2013 said:

Thanks All. The question is what should I do about it? I had a service recently and he told me not to worry about it and if I wanted to do something about it, I should replace the steering rack. Does everyone agree that the problem is in the steering rack and that it should be replaced? Thanks!

Steering rack isn't going to change it if it's crabbing which it sounds like it is due to cold tyres skipping across the surface

See my previous answer elsewhere on this forum, if you Googlr Ackerman Effect it will explain it all. Quite a common feature on 4 x 4 cars in the colder months, you'll find it goes away in the warmer months. Just come over from Jaguar and was quite a topoc of conversation there at times. I believe you can get some tyres that overcome this effect

see this

Hope this helps

You won’t necessarily hear it coming from the tyres since as they skip/drag a little you will get the sort of sound you are hearing which will feel like a thudding/vibration through the steering.

The fact that you admit that it soon disappears once you straighten the wheels and drive off, along with the comments on here should tell you that it is nothing to worry about.

You could of course always donate a few £ to your friendly dealer and ask them to investigate & fit any new parts that they thing fit.😉

1 hour ago, RXtoNX said:

You won’t necessarily hear it coming from the tyres since as they skip/drag a little you will get the sort of sound you are hearing which will feel like a thudding/vibration through the steering.

The fact that you admit that it soon disappears once you straighten the wheels and drive off, along with the comments on here should tell you that it is nothing to worry about.

You could of course always donate a few £ to your friendly dealer and ask them to investigate & fit any new parts that they thing fit.😉

Thank you so much Paul. I think we are on the same page the way you have described it. I will leave it. 

Thanks everyone who has helped! Merry Christmas!

• 3 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links