Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Noisy wipers

beyond the blue

I had to replace the wiper blades on my ES after only 2,000 miles as they were missing areas and generally streaking despite cleaning the rubber and the screen. I replaced them with genuine Lexus blades bought from 'Lexus parts Direct' who advertise on this group, however they are very noisy, especially when they change direction making a distinctive 'slapping sound' and although it's difficult to see it appears and sounds (screeching) like one of the blades is pushing the rain off rather than the rubber flipping over at the end of the stroke and wiping the rain off. Does anyone else notice this noise?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, beyond the blue said:

I had to replace the wiper blades on my ES after only 2,000 miles as they were missing areas and generally streaking despite cleaning the rubber and the screen. I replaced them with genuine Lexus blades bought from 'Lexus parts Direct' who advertise on this group, however they are very noisy, especially when they change direction making a distinctive 'slapping sound' and although it's difficult to see it appears and sounds (screeching) like one of the blades is pushing the rain off rather than the rubber flipping over at the end of the stroke and wiping the rain off. Does anyone else notice this noise?

You may be the happy one having good ears. I did not like the Bosch I tried once as they were noisy, returned to OEM Lexus wipers bought from Lexus here (saw the box they came in with Toyota on them) are in my ears - silent.

2 hours ago, beyond the blue said:

I have this issue recently since the snow and cold weather. I had my wipers changed at Lexus so they are OEM about 2 months ago but I would say they are new but I wonder with the ice on the windscreen if they have been somehow damaged or slightly out of shape. I do not know. but I intend to visit Lexus after Christmas to have them checked just to be sure.

Also, I did buy Bosch ones from Halford before Lexus got involved but realised that the whole system with the arm is made higher quality than the Bosch part (excluding the blade) so I did not want to use Bosch for this reason and visited Lexus and it is quite unique as I saw the staff fitting them with 2 long rubbers on the end of the arm. Not something I feel comfortable doing myself to be frank.

1 hour ago, Cs150 said:

Have an almost brand new ES300H registered just over one month past. Only done 450 miles and the wipers have been noisy as you described from day one sadly.

Not knowing the causes of your particular circumstance, Carl, I'd start by thoroughly cleaning the windscreen with a microfibre cloth and Isopropyl alcohol, (and then the wiper blades), and see if that helps.

19 hours ago, Illogan said:

Not knowing the causes of your particular circumstance, Carl, I'd start by thoroughly cleaning the windscreen with a microfibre cloth and Isopropyl alcohol, (and then the wiper blades), and see if that helps.

Indeed have tried the above and also covered the screen in RainX, perhaps made it a little better but certainly noisy in general. It was evident on the day of collecting the car.

Parked indoors or outside? I'm still on my original OEMs that came with the car, stil silent. I assume the indoor parking makes a difference on longevity and the washer fluid that contains glycerin may also.

If the main problem with the es300h is wipers then that's very good.

Much better than any mechanical issues. But yes annoying I'm not taking that away as these little niggles bother me too.

• Like 1

Had the same issue on mine using (at first) Bosch aero twin (?) but the drivers side shuddering on the way up, fitted a new set of OE Denso blades and the same issue.

Had a close look and on mine and when parked (the wipers) I just put a little bit of upward pressure on the nearside blade and you can see it flip the blade over for the up sweep.

As I tried the same on the drivers side it did not and stayed flipped over in its down wipe position, removed the blade and gripped the wiper arm at the flat section that holds the blade with a large pair of pipe grips.

This I protected with a strong strip of cardboard to avoid any scratches to the arm and gave it a little twist by twisting anti clock in my case and then checking, sorted it first time and now quite as when parked they both now flip over on demand for the up sweep.

Hope that makes sense, if not I will get some pictures up.

10 minutes ago, VFR said:

Had the same issue on mine using (at first) Bosch aero twin (?) but the drivers side shuddering on the way up, fitted a new set of OE Denso blades and the same issue.

Had a close look and on mine and when parked (the wipers) I just put a little bit of upward pressure on the nearside blade and you can see it flip the blade over for the up sweep.

As I tried the same on the drivers side it did not and stayed flipped over in its down wipe position, removed the blade and gripped the wiper arm at the flat section that holds the blade with a large pair of pipe grips.

This I protected with a strong strip of cardboard to avoid any scratches to the arm and gave it a little twist by twisting anti clock in my case and then checking, sorted it first time and now quite as when parked they both now flip over on demand for the up sweep.

Hope that makes sense, if not I will get some pictures up.

That's exactly the problem and that sounds like a solution. The problem might be working out which way to twist it without making it worse.

That was easy.

Chances are that the arm is twisted towards the front (imagine you are the arm)

So you will need to twist it towards the back (anti clock) but just a little, by little etc.

Caution ! ………. When there is no blade on the arm say in the raised position, if the arm should then fly down towards the screen (it has a strong spring) it could well break the screen.

So to cover that own goal (and stop you crying) have a rolled up cloth as a stop just in case.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update. After much searching I managed to find the wipers that were on the car from new. They are Denso Hybrid wipers and are an exact match to the originals, far superior to what is being supplied as a Lexus replacement. I bought them from Euro Carparts and for anyone who is interested the 26" is part number 485778266 £15.49 and the 18" is part number 485778186 £11.49. They wipe great and are quiet.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, beyond the blue said:

Update. After much searching I managed to find the wipers that were on the car from new. They are Denso Hybrid wipers and are an exact match to the originals, far superior to what is being supplied as a Lexus replacement. I bought them from Euro Carparts and for anyone who is interested the 26" is part number 485778266 £15.49 and the 18" is part number 485778186 £11.49. They wipe great and are quiet.

Did you happen to catch the Denso part number on the box?

The 26" ones should be DUR-065 (followed by either an L or R)

14" DUR-045 (L R?)

Thanks

55 minutes ago, peniole said:

Did you happen to catch the Denso part number on the box?

The 26" ones should be DUR-065 (followed by either an L or R)

14" DUR-045 (L R?)

Thanks

Peniole, note the left one is 18" not 14" l did expect the small one to have 'L' I must admit.

IMG_20230102_193925_741.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thank you for posting those. Will be picking up a spare set. Yes sorry meant 18", don't know why I wrote 14", even did the metric conversion right to ~45cm, D'Oh!

The L and R seems to be for left hand drive and right hand drive versions. Although some online UK dealers are selling the L verison here in the UK, go figure 🤷‍♂️

11 minutes ago, peniole said:

Thank you for posting those. Will be picking up a spare set. Yes sorry meant 18", don't know why I wrote 14", even did the metric conversion right to ~45cm, D'Oh!

The L and R seems to be for left hand drive and right hand drive versions. Although some online UK dealers are selling the L verison here in the UK, go figure 🤷‍♂️

If wrong L / R version is put on, that could be a reason for noise. Do not know if that even is possible, here we only have for right (correct) left-side-drive.  image.thumb.png.3a4e2d1cea4309efa0ee471825238d9b.png

It is actually possible to put the wrong drive side on for your car, and the aerodynamics will be backwards and will cause noise. See this from the Denso how to fit PDF for flat blades:

image.png.b2e3b302760e197bd851d34a40f2babe.png

the hybrids will be much the same as they do have different front facing surfaces compared to their back, and why they have L and R verisons of the things.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, peniole said:

It is actually possible to put the wrong drive side on for your car, and the aerodynamics will be backwards and will cause noise. See this from the Denso how to fit PDF for flat blades:

image.png.b2e3b302760e197bd851d34a40f2babe.png

the hybrids will be much the same as they do have different front facing surfaces compared to their back, and why they have L and R verisons of the things.

This info is correct as l messaged Denso and they confirmed the ones l bought were the correct ones for the ES. I've been out in heavy rain today and they were great and a lot quieter than the so called Lexus replacements.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, peniole said:

Which begs the question of 'if it aint broke, why fix it?'

Why have the lexus dealers switched away from Denso?

Never heard the words: Greed - Profit?

Only speaking friendly, so not mentioning: Stupidity.

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links