Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

lexus ES

Danr

Hello

New member and first time Lexus owner.  I had quick read of the new members section and it appears some members are interested in hearing the reasoning for buying a Lexus.  So why did I buy a Lexus ?    Alan Partridge said it was a Japanese Mercedes-just kidding.

After a lot of umming and ahhing over things like handling, running costs, quality and things not breaking or randomly stopping working and the poor dealership service received from some of the popular exec market brands in recent years logic just kept bringing me back to Lexus.  

The ES drive is quite good for what it is (ie a hybrid) and yes it does get a bit noisy when you floor it.  Apart from that the rest is simply magnificent. 

On the subject of handling, review after review goes on about how the germans handle so much better, well actually the stock models most people buy in the same price range as the ES in my experience don't handle significantly better.  Those models aren't things you would take on a track day unless you fancy understeering onto the run off

To me personally  the 520d I drove as courtesy felt like a gutless shopping trolley but that only reflects that  my own daily vehicle that I was used to driving was much much quicker, had responsive and accurate steering, less body roll and much sharper brakes than the 520d. Obviously my perception of the 520d was very much tainted by driving around in a much superior  performing vehicle. That doesn't make the 520d a bad car.

Why did I buy an ES?  It was the only saloon on offer by Lexus other than the LS.  Its well specced comfortable and economical to run and its a hybrid which is just my attempt at hedging my bets against more  stringent ULEZ laws in the cropping up in all sorts of places.  I was after the new IS but that isnt coming to the UK sadly so it was the ES.  I started looking at an F Sport but ended up with a Takumi.

The other car I drive is a full electric but you do need to be organised with journey planning.  Recently on a long journey I decided not to take the electric solely because the supercharger on route is inside large a shopping centre which would have entailed queuing for 30 mins or so in the Christmas rush just to get to the supercharger.  That would have added a 2-3 hours to my journey (there and back and charging times) so  another full electric vehicle  was not in consideration.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Danr said:

Hello

New member and first time Lexus owner.  I had quick read of the new members section and it appears some members are interested in hearing the reasoning for buying a Lexus.  So why did I buy a Lexus ?    Alan Partridge said it was a Japanese Mercedes-just kidding.

After a lot of umming and ahhing over things like handling, running costs, quality and things not breaking or randomly stopping working and the poor dealership service received from some of the popular exec market brands in recent years logic just kept bringing me back to Lexus.  

The ES drive is quite good for what it is (ie a hybrid) and yes it does get a bit noisy when you floor it.  Apart from that the rest is simply magnificent. 

On the subject of handling, review after review goes on about how the germans handle so much better, well actually the stock models most people buy in the same price range as the ES in my experience don't handle significantly better.  Those models aren't things you would take on a track day unless you fancy understeering onto the run off

To me personally  the 520d I drove as courtesy felt like a gutless shopping trolley but that only reflects that  my own daily vehicle that I was used to driving was much much quicker, had responsive and accurate steering, less body roll and much sharper brakes than the 520d. Obviously my perception of the 520d was very much tainted by driving around in a much superior  performing vehicle. That doesn't make the 520d a bad car.

Why did I buy an ES?  It was the only saloon on offer by Lexus other than the LS.  Its well specced comfortable and economical to run and its a hybrid which is just my attempt at hedging my bets against more  stringent ULEZ laws in the cropping up in all sorts of places.  I was after the new IS but that isnt coming to the UK sadly so it was the ES.  I started looking at an F Sport but ended up with a Takumi.

The other car I drive is a full electric but you do need to be organised with journey planning.  Recently on a long journey I decided not to take the electric solely because the supercharger on route is inside large a shopping centre which would have entailed queuing for 30 mins or so in the Christmas rush just to get to the supercharger.  That would have added a 2-3 hours to my journey (there and back and charging times) so  another full electric vehicle  was not in consideration.

Hi Dan and welcome to L.O.C.

You have researched well and your first posting is informative.

You might have found your arrival at Lexus some 10 years ahead of your time, but fear not as it is already starting to shape your views. If it is making you feel good, and beginning to change your driving habits then all is well.

It is not noisy, it does drive well, it cushions you from the outside World and it is not a BMW.

Please enjoy the experience,do not compare as uniqueness is beyond comparison,but do contribute to the Forum. Its acceleration is linear and imagine that you are Piloting from the Flight Deck of a Concorde and you have arrived! 

• Like 2

Hello Daniel and welcome to Lexus ownership and the best Lexus forum there is. I take it your ES is your first hybrid car. Am I correct your previous car was an automatic? Why I ask is because of your statement saying its noisy when you floor it. Wasn't your previous car noisy when you floored that? From what I've read the ES suppresses noise exceptionally well. 

As John said above. Enjoy your car. Don't compare it to another totally different type of car. You have Takumi spec so you've got the very top of the range so enjoy the Mark Levinson sound system. Turn it up a bit and you'll not hear the engine when you floor it. 

8 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Hello Daniel and welcome to Lexus ownership and the best Lexus forum there is. I take it your ES is your first hybrid car. Am I correct your previous car was an automatic? Why I ask is because of your statement saying its noisy when you floor it. Wasn't your previous car noisy when you floored that? From what I've read the ES suppresses noise exceptionally well. 

As John said above. Enjoy your car. Don't compare it to another totally different type of car. You have Takumi spec so you've got the very top of the range so enjoy the Mark Levinson sound system. Turn it up a bit and you'll not hear the engine when you floor it. 

Hi Mr Vlad

The noise doesn't bother me, I'm not comparing. There are no surprises I researched thoroughly before buying.

I was simply confirming what numerous car journos have said about how loud it is when flooring it. That being the only valid criticism levelled at the car in my view.  

The remainder of the criticisms by the press of the ES are in my opinion driven by an all too common unjustified subconscious bias in favour of the german brands. 

If the ES came with a German badge on it the track pad wouldn't get panned instead it would be more likley be described as something along the lines "works efficiently but clearly designed with the finger swiping tinder generation in mind" or some similar comedic description!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Welcome Daniel.

Excellent choice of vehicle, especially the Takumi spec (that is the one I would want as well).

If you don't mind me asking, what was your previous car and how did you find the experience of owning it?  From what you have said, the suggestion is that it was a BMW?

Thanks.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links