Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus RX 450H Noise Level Comparison

I have just been reading an Autocar review of the new Range Rover Sport D300  Dynamic SE. In the review Autocar said that the Range Rover Sport registered just 60dBA of cabin noise at a 50mph cruise. They then went on to compare the dBA levels with an Audi Q8 and BMW X5, each registered at the same speed 2dBA more than the Range Rover Sport. I own a RX450H and I am extremely impressed with how quiet the vehicle is, even when travelling over uneven road surfaces the noise within the cabin is minimal. I was very curious about the db levels within the RX450H cabin. From an independent source I found that the Lexus 450H recorded 54.3db at 65mph,  (nearly 6db lower than the Range Rover Sport) I was truly impressed. What I have noticed is that most UK automotive reviews seem to be obsessed with 0-60 times and tend to favour German cars, when it comes to Lexus they mostly look on the negative side, (mainly condemning the CVT drive system). I have nothing but praise for my RX 450H, the drive and refinement levels are superb, far better than my previous Range Rover. It is  a pity that Autocar did not compare the Range Rover Sport dBA levels with the Lexus 450H,  (people would then realise that the RX450H is a truly refined car). 

Lexus RX450H DB.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just download any app that measures noise levels (decibel x, decibel meter etc.) and let us know. Wanted to do that for some time with my 2016 RX and this is a good reminder so will let you know what i n getting 🙂 

But don t forget that wind, tyres and the type of the road you re driving on will influence the results. 

One of the few things I could complain about my old 2012 gs450h was the noise i was getting into the cabin. The 2016 gs300h was a good improvement but still not idea. The 2016 RX has double glazed windows so definitely much quieter but i m not blown away honestly. On a positive note it’s a big SUV with 20” wheels so can t ask that much.

I put myself on the waiting list for a test drive with the new RX (probably somewhere in March it will happen) i m really intrigued how much better that is. Got to sit in one (rx500h) at Westfield Mall in London and i can report that it‘s a massive improvement in terms of materials over the ongoing model (that includes the 2022 Takumi I recently test drive) 

2 hours ago, DavidCM said:

Interesting.Does the site list other Lexus models? I would be curious to see my RC figures.

Want to know how quiet (or not) your car is: go to google play store and download a sound meter or sound level meter if you have Android phone. Sure Iphone have similar.

That will be your car, not a car in a test.

20 hours ago, John Walker said:

Just download any app that measures noise levels (decibel x, decibel meter etc.) and let us know. Wanted to do that for some time with my 2016 RX and this is a good reminder so will let you know what i n getting 🙂 

But don t forget that wind, tyres and the type of the road you re driving on will influence the results. 

One of the few things I could complain about my old 2012 gs450h was the noise i was getting into the cabin. The 2016 gs300h was a good improvement but still not idea. The 2016 RX has double glazed windows so definitely much quieter but i m not blown away honestly. On a positive note it’s a big SUV with 20” wheels so can t ask that much.

I put myself on the waiting list for a test drive with the new RX (probably somewhere in March it will happen) i m really intrigued how much better that is. Got to sit in one (rx500h) at Westfield Mall in London and i can report that it‘s a massive improvement in terms of materials over the ongoing model (that includes the 2022 Takumi I recently test drive) 

Hello John,

I am very curious to find out how the new RX ride/comfort compares with the older model. I have read several American reviews about the new RX350H,they all have said that the new 4 cylinder engine tends to be noisy. In my opinion they should never have discontinued the silky smooth 6 cylinder engine, it was perfectly suited to the vehicle.

I would love to hear your comments after the test drive.

• Like 1

I downloaded Soundmeter HQ Pro (first free and advert free I came across).On an average quality dual carriageway at 70..75 mph I was getting a dB reading of 67 ,compared to the website figure of about 65.

On getting home and parking in the carport,I turned up the volume on the ML and got as high as 86 not full volume but becoming uncomfortable.

• Like 1

The figure of 67 dB is not far from the website figure. I really do not know how accurate the sound meter apps are in comparison to a properly calibrated dB meter. Several factors can influence dB levels - road surface, type of tyre fitted to the vehicle, and weather conditions. 

The app does say it is not an accurate tool and has a calibration option. I don't have a calibrated dB meter to set it accurately and was only trying it out of interest.

I will try it on a stretch of concrete motorway next time I have the misfortune to drive on one.

I m averaging about 65 decibels in my RX with a maximum of 75 decibels. So pretty happy with the numbers but it still doesn’t feel vey quiet for some reason. I need to test drive other SUVs at highway speed so I can compare 

On 1/17/2023 at 10:34 PM, John Walker said:

Got to sit in one (rx500h) at Westfield Mall in London and i can report that it‘s a massive improvement in terms of materials over the ongoing model (that includes the 2022 Takumi I recently test drive) 

Blimey, it must be impressive if it’s a “massive improvement” in terms of materials. My current RX is superior in terms of quality to any other comparable car I’ve been in, including BMW, Mercedes and Range Rover SUVs.

I will have to go and have a look…what makes it so impressive compared to the current version?

7 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

Blimey, it must be impressive if it’s a “massive improvement” in terms of materials. My current RX is superior in terms of quality to any other comparable car I’ve been in, including BMW, Mercedes and Range Rover SUVs.

I will have to go and have a look…what makes it so impressive compared to the current version?

I could only spend a few minutes in it so this was my first impression. If i were to complain I didn’t like the air vent on drivers side as now it s surrounded by glossy black plastic. The storage in the arm rest significantly reduced and so are the door bins. They still didn’t bother to put any lining in the door bins. It s the small details they should work on. But this comes from a very picky person so i m sure most or the people will love it. Centre console and infotainment have very nice materials. Exterior was the one that impressed me the most, i m struggling to think of a better looking SUV atm. I only wish they had the interior quality of a Porche Cayenne. And for those who don’t believe me, just go and sit in both cars 🙂 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links