Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GS300h (and probably Mk 4 GS450h) recall

I've received a recall letter from Lexus this morning. It refers to the 'Fuel tank vent tube assembly', which is attached to the fuel tank by a flange. This flange can potentially develop a stress-related crack which could lead to the possibility of a fuel leak and a potential fire. So they're replacing the flange.

For your interest, pic of the relevant part from the removal procedure attached. I guess it's the big circular thing which is removed from the tank with the SST.

I don't know what production dates are involved  - only that mine is affected.

I'm not using the car much at the moment, so I'll need to wait a bit until my fuel level is down - they want it presented with less than 1/4 tank

Fuel tank vent tube assembly.jpg

• Like 3

I have also received this recall letter for my GS250 so it appears to affect all Mk4 GS models wether petrol or hybrid (I wonder if even GSF is included).

I am going to wait until June when service is due to book it in at the same time however it was interesting that the letter asks you to supply the car to them with no more than a quarter tank of fuel in..? 

40 minutes ago, Jimmy_Jump said:

I have also received this recall letter for my GS250 so it appears to affect all Mk4 GS models wether petrol or hybrid (I wonder if even GSF is included)

however it was interesting that the letter asks you to supply the car to them with no more than a quarter tank of fuel in..? 

GSF  (and ISF and RCF) is/are included

The part being replaced either bayonets or screws into the fuel tank. They don't want the fuel level to be close to the resulting hole.

• Like 1

There was a thread on here about this ages ago with a link to something in the press in Australia.

Will you have to leave your car in overnight or can it be done while you wait? 

Edit:

called lexus stoke few days ago to sort a tyre out Big hole in sidewall :((. whilst on phone they asked about bringing it for recall but i had filled with fuel onl 2 days before. took it today to have tyhre replaced . tyre hadnt arrived but they said they would keep it do the tyre later and the recall work despite full tank. came home in courtesy UX

On 1/26/2023 at 2:02 PM, Hardy said:

I have also received recall on 2014 GS300h. Question for John (above), do they access the part via the boot?

On 1/26/2023 at 2:28 PM, johnatg said:

Yes. It's a pretty simple change. Might be a good idea to empty the junk from the boot when you take it in! 😉

I've looked at the manual / procedure a bit more carefully - I think the work is done by removing the rear bench seat. There's a 'partition pad' under the seat and below that a cover in the floor to be removed. Then the vent tube assembly is held into the tank with a retaining ring which is removed with a SST. I rather think it is the retaining ring which they are calling a flange which may crack. If it did the vent tube assembly wouldn't be held into the fuel tank properly (tightly enough)

So you can leave your stuff in the boot!

image.jpeg

Rang Lexus Liverpool to book my car in next week now that the fuel level is getting to quarter tank. They had no knowledge of the recall ......... Help!!!!

Wonder if this has any connection to when I put fuel in, the pump keeps cutting out. I have to bring the nozzle of hand gun out to stop it cutting out?? Could it be that the tank is not venting as it should?? Just a thought.

22 hours ago, Hardy said:

Rang Lexus Liverpool to book my car in next week now that the fuel level is getting to quarter tank. They had no knowledge of the recall ......... Help!!!!

You have to remember - any and all car dealers will tell you owt.

PS - for our southern cousins - owt means anything. There's a sister word - nowt - means nothing!

On 2/7/2023 at 10:33 AM, Hardy said:

Wonder if this has any connection to when I put fuel in, the pump keeps cutting out. I have to bring the nozzle of hand gun out to stop it cutting out?? Could it be that the tank is not venting as it should?? Just a thought.

thats strange as lexus liverpool is where my car has been booked in for march

Hi Mark, My car is booked in for Thursday 16th Feb, its just that when I rang to book it in they had no knowledge of recall. Just hoping they have the parts in stock, have contacted the service department via there website (last Thursday 9th Feb) to check if they had the parts but still waiting for a reply.

Just had a call from Lexus Lincoln to say they have the part in and to confirm tomorrow’s appointment. I mentioned that I have just over 1/4 tank and they said they could still do it as long as it is less than 1/2. Will update later regarding how long it takes and what has to be removed. 

• Like 1

I had this done on Friday to my 2017 GS450h at Poole Lexus. It was booked in for a full service and MOT, and the recall was mentioned at the bottom of the job card.

To do all this work (Service, MOT and recall) they needed the car from 8.30am to 5pm.

No ill-effects noticed, and they were very careful on removing and re-fitting the rear seat.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links