Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Potential new owner

Dave79

Hi all,

New to the forum and potentially new to Lexus, although I currently have a Toyota.  I'm off for a test drive in an Approved Used LC500 tomorrow, an early Sport+ with ML & HUD so all the options ticked.  Any advice on things to watch out for/ask about?

I've previously owned a 4.7 Maserati Gran Turismo and the LC seems to be very similar (near identical size/weight/power), albeit with considerably better build and reliability, and I've seen/heard favourable comparisons to Aston Martin.  That would definitely be what I'm looking for.  Long shot I know, have any of you owned/driven the GT and LC to share their experience?

Thanks in advance 🙂

No real problems i can report.

there has been a fuel pump re call, which i am sure the car your looking at has already been done if needed. also sticking fuel cap, squealing brakes, they did change mine under warranty but sometimes still make a noise, i clean mine regally with iron remover and that seems to help.

Iam sure your going to have it serviced through a Lexus dealership so your be covered under warranty for 10 years or 100000 miles

All 4 tyres are wearing on the inside edge on mine so something you may want to have a quick look at, i have put it down to traveling over the square speed bumps of which there are hundreds in my area.

Good luck, iam sure your love it.

• Like 1

Wendle- I have a 2019 LC in California, when I asked about the 10 year -100,000 mile warranty, the dealership had no idea what I was talking about. My warranty is for 4 years + 6 years engine, trans, etc. Any thoughts?

that's what is offered here in the UK, but i don't know about other parts of the world

the UK basic warranty period is 3 years or 60k miles, its only over the past year than Lexus UK have offered this added warranty.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wendle said:

No real problems i can report.

there has been a fuel pump re call, which i am sure the car your looking at has already been done if needed. also sticking fuel cap, squealing brakes, they did change mine under warranty but sometimes still make a noise, i clean mine regally with iron remover and that seems to help.

Iam sure your going to have it serviced through a Lexus dealership so your be covered under warranty for 10 years or 100000 miles

All 4 tyres are wearing on the inside edge on mine so something you may want to have a quick look at, i have put it down to traveling over the square speed bumps of which there are hundreds in my area.

Good luck, iam sure your love it.

Thanks, and yes, I'm planning on servicing it through my local dealer for the foreseeable.

Funnily enough the most recent MOTs for the one I'm looking at mentioned tyre wear on the inside edge.  I've already confirmed that it will get a full alignment check, and from the tread depths I was given the current tyres (Potenzas) must be relatively new.  Couldn't see any outstanding recalls on the gov.uk checker either so we should be fine on that front.

1 hour ago, BrettMRC said:

Essentially a Japanese Maserati GT.

Both look & feel special, the GT sounds a little nicer.

The Lexus gives you more comfort that it won't go off like a grenade one day!

Good to hear, from what I've heard of them the LC isn't quite up to the GT's sound but it's rather lovely in its own way.  It certainly feels like it ticks the right boxes.

• Like 1

It's worth noting that the newer, (2022+) cars are a little quieter than the earlier cars due to the addition of a GPF.

An exhaust valve controller does mitigate this though! 

• Like 1

Looks like I need to update the thread title already. Lovely car, it was parked right outside the doors as I arrived and looked stunning even in the cloudy conditions. The drive lived up to my hopes and the sound was plenty good enough, to put it lightly. Especially so when pressing on in Sport+ mode. We were even photographed by some car-spotting teenagers on the test drive 😊 It had been traded in against a Black Inspiration so the previous owner was obviously a big fan.

Couldn't negotiate any money off as a customer at another dealer in the group was apparently also keen, but the price was reasonable so I now have an initial deposit down. Should be picking it up next weekend as the dealer isn't local to me; the drive back will be fun. I will definitely need to recalibrate my right foot to 470bhp!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

After a week of anticipation I picked her up today.  A lovely experience, as I'm sure many others have found with Lexus.  They'd fitted a full new set of tyres and gave me a full tank of fuel, with the car in a side room whilst we wrapped up the handover.  The noise of startup with a wall just behind was something special!

Slight stress on the way home as I got directed through a very narrow town and didn't quite know how wide the back end was yet.  Other than that it was a lovely drive back and I spent the whole 90 minutes grinning.

No chance to take glamour shots other than the one from the collection area so the car park of the local Asda on a cloudy Saturday afternoon will have to do.  A big, yellow V8 that looks as good as the LC500 certainly gets you noticed.

1843956846_Clean2.thumb.jpg.5418b939c143a39cdedbb371564329f4.jpg

57463551_Clean1.thumb.jpg.a7bccfd27a056b63acb1f40cb91952c6.jpg

1638631965_Clean3.thumb.jpg.4e20163601123678f3fd3c582299b723.jpg

IMG_20230204_164307919_HDR.thumb.jpg.47fe7c11203b1cf69f137769fe32b11f.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2023 at 8:53 PM, RadicalCoupe-Fuji said:

Looks like a really nice car, love the interiors on those, so plush & full of detail, even the funny tiny floor mats in the back that will never get touched 😄 

the tiny rear mats do tickle me

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

It's a gorgeous car.

We hired the 5L V8 version on Turo out of Los Angeles, for ten days. Luggage space was pretty small for a GT car, but I fell in love with it the second I saw it, it was stunning (better in the metal than in photos), and made a truly fabulous roaring and spitting V8 sound. It was a joy to drive, very planted, good weight distribution and very confidence-inspiring in high-speed bends. 

It is now the only car I aspire to buying.

Enjoy every mile in your lovely LC 😀

• Like 3

On 2/4/2023 at 7:51 PM, Dave79 said:

After a week of anticipation I picked her up today.  A lovely experience, as I'm sure many others have found with Lexus.  They'd fitted a full new set of tyres and gave me a full tank of fuel, with the car in a side room whilst we wrapped up the handover.  The noise of startup with a wall just behind was something special!

Slight stress on the way home as I got directed through a very narrow town and didn't quite know how wide the back end was yet.  Other than that it was a lovely drive back and I spent the whole 90 minutes grinning.

No chance to take glamour shots other than the one from the collection area so the car park of the local Asda on a cloudy Saturday afternoon will have to do.  A big, yellow V8 that looks as good as the LC500 certainly gets you noticed.

1843956846_Clean2.thumb.jpg.5418b939c143a39cdedbb371564329f4.jpg

57463551_Clean1.thumb.jpg.a7bccfd27a056b63acb1f40cb91952c6.jpg

1638631965_Clean3.thumb.jpg.4e20163601123678f3fd3c582299b723.jpg

IMG_20230204_164307919_HDR.thumb.jpg.47fe7c11203b1cf69f137769fe32b11f.jpg

The yellow looks amazing - I have been looking for a used Sport + in Structural Blue for a while now - keeping fingers cross one comes up soon!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links