Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tesla Model 3 Ditched for IS or ES?

After 18 months of the EV experience I am looking at returning to Lexus I had an IS300h for 5 years. I've looked at the ES300h but feels it's just too big for my needs. The IS I had was great but seems a bit dated now. Disappointed Lexus isn't bringing to he new model to UK. The safest option is the IS300h F Sport or higher for me. The Tesla was great but returning it as lease is over. The charging experience hasn't been great. The Lexus was much better overall in terms of experience. I don't feel like getting another EV just yet. I had the Advance model previously so F Sport is my target. Does anyone have any thoughts about the model choice ?

1 hour ago, nickb2015 said:

After 18 months of the EV experience I am looking at returning to Lexus I had an IS300h for 5 years. I've looked at the ES300h but feels it's just too big for my needs. The IS I had was great but seems a bit dated now. Disappointed Lexus isn't bringing to he new model to UK. The safest option is the IS300h F Sport or higher for me. The Tesla was great but returning it as lease is over. The charging experience hasn't been great. The Lexus was much better overall in terms of experience. I don't feel like getting another EV just yet. I had the Advance model previously so F Sport is my target. Does anyone have any thoughts about the model choice ?

The best way to judge would be to trst drive one. But from what i understand the fsport has bigger 18 inch wheels and a stiffer suspension leading to an overall harsh ride. But if a sporty car is what you are after then I think it might work. It has slightly better looks and a better instrument cluster display. If you want all the bells and whistles then the Premier might be one to consider. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nickb2015 said:

Out of interest, what has made you switch; is it just EV issues generally, something about the Model 3 or is it preference for Lexus?

I have the current IS300h F-Sport, now with 19" wheels. It was my choice for rear wheel drive and adaptive suspension, the best options for good handling. The front wheel drive ES is a big limo in contrast, though has marginally better economy, more room in the back, and a spare wheel (I think)..

My IS ride is armchair smooth and quiet on a good surface, a bit noisy on coarse chip (like all tyres), never harsh even with the big wheels.

So your choice is between handling, and roominess..

• Like 1

Ok thanks all..my company no longer offers EV's. Restructuring on going. I used to have an IS300h and it was great. Zero issues in 5 years and 60k miles. So have to get my own car now but economic outlook isn't great and don't want to commit to a long private lease. So Lexus is my choice. Tesla Model is end of lease now. Battery technology is improving all the time so will return to EV in 2 years or so. Hyundai and Kia currently have the best EV's. Toyota (Lexus) has been very late to the game. Whatecer your views about EV's, its that way forward now. I just hope Lexus survives the move to electrification. Toyota ousted it's CEO last week. He was quite anti EV. New CEO is now ex Lexus CEO, so let's see what happens. Next IS could be electric. 

• Like 1

Why going for an FSport version (I respect you like it though) when it's got oversized tyres that just 10 years ago would have been in a Lamborghini and drinks more fuel as a consequence? Also, if you like comfort, the suspension is stiffer.
I agree with the fact it's a shame Lexus keeps the ES and gets rid of a much more sensible alternative as the IS300h

I don't see the wheels while im driving and the car is beautiful as it is already. Again, respect. At least you'll make a big improvement in build quality from a Tesla, which have a terrible name for bad quality finishing and cheap trims.

• 1 month later...

Been in a brand new Tesla 3 taxi recently. Two stand out features : (I) awful bouncy ride, and (iI) terrible road noise due to no noise insulation or donut seems.

Just terrible on motorway, but better around town, economics the only reason to buy one. Our old CT is in a different league on the above counts, the GS and LS demolish it completely.

good buy for a techie (I am not) or desperate to save money in my view. I respect them for carving out own market but something I would consider personally.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, SSUR said:

Both IS and ES good cars, IS smaller more sporty, ES much bigger and more comfortable, better tech also. 

But the ES is front wheel drive. The IS is rear wheel drive, so it wins on that account.

Front wheel drive or rear wheel drive does not matter with the streets and speed limits we have.

ES is for a big garage. The place we have is CT size.

When you have been in a Lexus for 4 - 5 years, you are used to comfort and though Battery cars may get better, maybe not like a Lexus. Friends in Denmark having electric cars are not happy except for the 2 that have solar cells and own charging place home. Here on sunshine island where cars do not need heating EV's have longer range than in cold countries.

Gasoline here is down to 1.40€ for super 98 octane Shell V-Power and electricity is getting expensive, so for those that must pay for charging publicly real noiseless cars may be more expensive to drive; we use the power hungry electric machines mostly at night when price is almost OK.

We keep the CT as long as hybrid Battery is warranted and when the time come to change, there may be different possibilities and when BMW is going hard into hydrogen some will follow and then fuelling will be faster than charging a big Battery.

The CT is a fantastic car and massively underrated in my view. It is our second car to a LS600hL and feels every bit a Lexus.

The local Lexus service manager once told me they were doing recalls on various CT and Prius cars. He was astonished at the very thin roof lining material on the Prius as against a very thick material used on the CT, just like the larger Lexus cars. Explains why they are so well built and the kings of refinement and build quality even on their cheapest model. 

I have IS300h fsport. Its worth getting one with options eg. Electric/heated/memory leather seats and Mark Levinson media. The Premium has all the options as std. so could go for one of those which avoids all the checking. I remember the Advance has the above seats but 17" wheels which is not a bad thing as better economy. One thing I would say the 12v agm batteries don't last long if like you're an intermittent user but that seems typical of hybrids and EV's

By the way Lexus relax warranty now incorporated in service costs

Best of luck.

On 3/3/2023 at 8:44 PM, Mr_Groundhog said:

But the ES is front wheel drive. The IS is rear wheel drive, so it wins on that account.

I've noticed no real difference having experienced both.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links