Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is300 17" Wheel Problem

garryh69

Hi all,

I have just purchased a used is300 on a 51 plate with 5000 miles only on the clock from Lexus Sheffield.

Now i have a slight problem with the wheels, they were changed in 2002 according to the service book and already they need changing again!! I understand that there is a major problem with this kind of thing and was wondering if anyone has upgraded from 17" to 18" instead of having new 17's and paid the differance?

Is this an option?

If so how much approx would it cost?

I doubt that they will offer this as a option, after all they only refurb that alloys not replace them with new. I think that the 18 suffer from the same problem anyway as the real issue is that Toyota do not put enough laquer on :ph34r:

It's worth asking. Normally if it is a warranty claim new wheels should be put on not refurbished ones.

The problem is with suppliers. The GS series II sport wheels don't seem to have this problem - they are manufactured by OZ. Not sure who makes the standard IS wheels or the 18" ones.

It's worth asking. Normally if it is a warranty claim new wheels should be put on not refurbished ones.

The problem is with suppliers. The GS series II sport wheels don't seem to have this problem - they are manufactured by OZ. Not sure who makes the standard IS wheels or the 18" ones.

i heard the 18s arnt made by lexus,or toyota they are like tte extras,so i heard anyway,dont know if its right ;)

No wheels are made by Toyota/Lexus or TTE.

However the european option wheels are normally sourced within the EU and are better quality so hopefully the styling kit 18" wheels will be fine.

When I was at TTE Cologne, I saw the IS wheels came in Borbet (German brand)boxes.....

Borbet generally are nice wheels, had the type H before on my Mazda 323F V6. No corrosion.

Cheers,

RX-Men-8

When I was at TTE Cologne, I saw the IS wheels came in Borbet (German brand)boxes.....

Borbet generally are nice wheels, had the type H before on my Mazda 323F V6. No corrosion.

Cheers,

RX-Men-8

Seem to remember there were also some 'Artec' boxes around the place.

'Speedline' also produce some of them.

Could only find TTE markings on those nice expensive 19" 3 piece rims though :crybaby:

OT but what are those markings on the 17" and 18" wheels on one of the spokes then? I'd assumed they were manufacturer but are they whoever has designed them then?

OT but what are those markings on the 17" and 18" wheels on one of the spokes then? I'd assumed they were manufacturer but are they whoever has designed them then?

You mean the JL ones ? or something like that ?

I think that's some kind of japanese type approval.

You mean the JL ones ? or something like that ?

I think that's some kind of japanese type approval.

That's the daddy! Always wondered what they were!

So if I splash out on some TTE 18" are they going to stay 'nice' or will I be weeping into my Credit Card statement 12 months on when they look like the surface of the moon? :blink:

ok.............

the 18 sport option wheels are from South Africa

the std 17 wheels, 16"wheels are from Toyota japan.

The reason that they suffer so badly on European roads, other than the lack of proper top coat protection is......

under japanese pollution laws, aluminium is not to be used "Virgin", it has to be mixed 20%/80% using majority re-cycled aluminium.

the result is that the resulting castings contain alot of impuritys.and therefore are more prone to corrosion

hope this clears it up

the TTE rims are manufactured by Borbet(artec).........

A world of knowledge at your finger tips :winky: :D

EDIT : <snip> the TTE rims are manufactured by Borbet(artec).........

Any good then? Never heard of them?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links